Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd quickly put up a thread regarding my fun this evening with an E-tron 55...not mine as mine is back with Audi but a loaner from them.

I won't get too much into the detail of the story but in short:

Left venue and at 5:30pm, tyre pressure monitor pops up complaining about rear right.
Could see traffic appearing in the distance so quickly stopped, checked, seemed ok and put it down to heat. Jumped back in (country lane so no layby/place to stop)
Got just about to 20 mph (which doesn't take long in these!), went round a bend and bang.

Car certainly felt different but by no means out of control. Thankfully a very large driveway was ahead not more than a few seconds away so pulled in it..sure enough, tyre was very flat!

Called the Audi Roadside recovery line and after a good 10 minute wait, I got through. Given no spare wheel, we had to go for recovery but they warned they were very busy and would be around the 4 hour mark.
Great, an 8 month old in the back and we're talking about waiting around for 4 hours in some driveway of what looked like the entrance to a building site but seemed closed.

Fast forward to 8:40pm and hello recovery man.

Car was put on trailer and got it back to the house by 9:40pm.

Observations/thoughts:

1. Car handled very well even if it was just those few seconds before I was safely away from the road.
2. Recovery in this case was via Audi Roadside who essentially go through the AA who subcontracted out to another firm.
Some of the questions were odd though -I'd expected and Audi service to know this but then again it is probably scripted. This included, is it a quattro, is it an automatic.
3. Despite a clear 4 mile run back to the house, they have to follow their own navs not because of sizing (my route was a lot better than his for road width!) but more for weight as they're restricted on certain roads...
4. If these things had a spare wheel, I would not be typing this up. I think its madness making it an option and had we not had rescue from a friend literally 2 mins away, we'd be stranded with a baby whether its 4 miles away or 400.
5. Despite hazards running for 3 hours+, no issue with car during the wait having the air con running etc.
6. The subcontractor was excellent but waiting on 3 hours+ is a bit daunting in the sticks!

I will look into getting a spare for my e-tron if/when I get it back as a lot of this could have been avoided

It will be interesting what happens tomorrow regarding cost of the tyre but also how the heck it will get from the house to the dealership (2 miles away). Audi Recovery seemed to think they would arrange a pick/drop tomorrow but we'll see.

So far, the 3-4 weeks ownership (of which I've only had it personally for 10 days) has not been a fun ride (and not cheap either).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In the US we get an inflatable compact spare. Believe me, given the complexity of using that spare, it is truly an effort of last resort.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Interestingly I also had a flat in the E-tron while driving (although not a "blow out" as such).

I was really impressed with Audi Roadside Assistance. The chap took about 25 minutes to arrive, turned out to be an Audi recovery vehicle, well VAG actually but let's not get pedantic.

He found the puncture itself which was caused by a bolt in the centre of the tyre. He managed to pull it out with pair of grippers which left a hole about the size of a pencil. He then proceeded with a repair. I had never seen this done at the roadside before but after enlarging the hole a bit and then pushing a plug inside the tyre he used a clamp like device to pull the plug back through the tyre from the inside. The whole process took about half an hour.

I was sent on my way with an instruction to keep the speed under 100 kph (I guess about 60 mph) until I got a proper repair.

During the 25 mins we had to wait for him to arrive we recalled previous punctures and came to the conclusion that I get 1 about every 8 years or 100,000 miles so pretty rare but good to know that Audi look after you when needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting! I've had exactly that repair but from a tyre shop and had no advice about keeping speed down etc. It remained that way until the tyre wore down.

To update, the e-tron was to my surprise picked up by the AA this morning without any sort of booking with them and they took it to the dealership it belonged to.
When they lifted it up, we had a good check and it was a blowout from the inner side of it. I easily fit 3 fingers into it so fairly large gash - This recovery guy also thought it would have been something there already/brewing for a while and the weight + road + heat let it go when I went round that bend.

So for now, I have no car at all - loaner is back with the dealer, and mine still sits at the dealer - fun times!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts