Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The received wisdom is that the reason the front wheels of cars get so black is that it is dust from the brake calipers. Given that regen should mean less use of the physical disk brakes, does the e-tron suffer less from this phenomenon?

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
92 Posts
The received wisdom is that the reason the front wheels of cars get so black is that it is dust from the brake calipers. Given that regen should mean less use of the physical disk brakes, does the e-tron suffer less from this phenomenon?
Don’t think I’ve ever used the brakes. Seriously, brake dust is not a problem on these cars!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Random fact about the brakes: the vehicle occasionally applies the mechanical brakes just enough to clean the discs (imperceptibly to the driver). This occurs much more frequently when the vehicle senses that it is raining.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Random fact about the brakes: the vehicle occasionally applies the mechanical brakes just enough to clean the discs (imperceptibly to the driver). This occurs much more frequently when the vehicle senses that it is raining.
This is new to me! Where did you find that info? My dealer told me I should occasionally hard-brake just clean off the pads.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is new to me! Where did you find that info? My dealer told me I should occasionally hard-brake just clean off the pads.
I read this somewhere with slightly more technical detail, but cannot find it right now. I believe they are applied regardless of the weather, just not nearly as often. From my owner's manual pg. 92:

That being the case, if you are abnormally careful to only use the friction brakes as minimally as possible, it is possible for corrosion to form on the discs. If you hard-brake the etron to clean the pads remember to shift to N so that the friction pads are fully-applied. And warn your family what you're doing ;)

Yet another weird braking tidbit: Audi states it is impossible to bring the etron to a stop without applying the friction brakes. As the vehicle approaches 0 mph so little energy is being converted that it grabs with the discs. I have seen folks post here that they never use the discs, only the regen to brake. I'm sure they are super careful, and their brake pads will last many lifetimes, but their pads technically are engaging :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
LOL, I guess when I read that in the manual I may have thought it was something I was supposed to do! I recently read an article about the BOSCH EV braking system, I think Audi uses it, that blends the fade out of regen with the application of the mechanical brake. Not as straightforward as you would expect!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My discs discolour in the overnight rain so I follow the guidelines in the manual...basically drive along a quiet road at low speed and flick car into manual, then apple footbrake. This forces the car to apply mechanical braking not recuperation. I do this in the morning driving to the end of my quiet road before going onto bigger road and it does the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts