Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2021 E-Tron Premium Plus last Friday (04/16/2021). It was fully charged at the time. Since then the car has not charged and will not charge at all. It took me until tonight to realize it wasn’t actually charging because I thought it had something to do with only charging to 80% in settings (as it turns out it was set to 100%, not 80). It took me until this evening to get the battery to 66%, and at that point I realized the car wasn’t charging.

I have a 32A Chargepoint charger that does nothing when I plug it in. The included charger does not work either (The charge light light just flashes white on the car) And when I tried connecting it to a 50kW EVgo charger it flashes white for a few seconds then disconnects and I get an error message on the EVgo terminal screen...So level 1, 2, or 3 chargers will not work. I know that my charger at home works—The sales manager let me take his E-Tron overnight on Thursday for an extended test drive and it went from 17% to fully charged, and it charged my A3 e-tron for years without any issues.

I used my Ross-Tech cable and it pulled a ton of error codes....12 pages of those errors between Hybrid Battery, CAN Gateway and C6_Battery Charging. Should I just dump this car now before the deal is closed? I just turned in the paperwork today for it, and I am terrified of getting stuck with an expensive brick.

I have attached the error code that pops up on the screen when I try to charge the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It’s under full factory warranty, call the dealer. Second did you lease it or buy it, my recommendation is lease these things. Car is way to complex and your dealer will give you a loaner till it’s fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s under full factory warrant, call the dealer. Second did you lease it or buy it, my recommendation is lease these things.
At first I leased the car..
The finance guy tried to knock my head off by doubling the money factor from .001 to .002 and then lying about the base rate from Audi. That deal was ripped up today after I went ballistic and I changed it to 60 mo finance with a ton of money off from incentives and extras from the GM of the dealership. After the deceitfulness of the finance guy, now the car not being able to charge, I’m seriously spooked.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would find L2 charging station, such as ChargePoint, next to me and try it
Usually L2 chargers have the least amount of issues
This will help you exclude the possibility that you were dealing with faulty chargers before

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those error codes are worrying but hopefully its nothing more than your car being blocked from charging.

"No charge, no light on car port or the red one. Red light on EV wall box.
Went back to dealer, very hot headed. Turned out my lease company had blocked my EV tag. So no transaction, no juice. "

Fingers crossed for you

·
Registered
192 Posts
That sounds strange but with electronics, you never know. If they charged it to 100% prior to delivering, the car didn’t seem to have any issue at that point. When I first tried to charge mine, it didn’t work but with a check of the manual, I found that I needed to set the charging unit to 100% from the 50% it was set at when I unwrapped it and started using it. Mine charged fine at fast chargers and when I got the 240 plug installed, I made sure it was still at the 100% setting and I have not had any charging issues since.

I would let the dealer check it out and get it sorted. Keep us posted on the findings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My home charger is a ChargePoint Home 25, with a 40A breaker. It has charged every other vehicle just fine! The car is at the dealer and even though the deal was signed less than 24 hours ago the manager won’t let me buy another car (would get an A6 Allroad) I even offer to let him keep the 4 grand equity I got from my VW AllTrack and he said no. I will have to lemon law and sue the dealer. South Carolina requires 30 days in the shop of 3 repairs for the same thing. What a pain.

They gave me a loaner and it won’t charge past 50% at my house. I took the loaner to two different level 3 chargers. It would not charge at all at the EVgo location near my house, and at Clemson University ICAR (which is a 60 kW charger) it would not charge past 50% despite being set to 80% in settings.

The only place their cars will charge to 100% is at the dealer. None of the managers driving E-Trons have a home charger, they just all charge at work. There is also only 1 person at the dealership that even knows how to work on on the E-Tron. This is almost laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

I really like the car too, but it’s primary use is for my wife to commute to work once a week 220 miles round trip. She was fine charging for 30-40 minutes to get enough juice to make the trip, but if the vehicle range won’t go past 95 miles it will be impossible and she will be dead on the highway in the middle of hillbilly South Carolina.

Since I am stuck with the car for the foreseeable future, what home chargers actually work with the 2021 E-Tron?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
I have not seen any issues reported anywhere with ChargePoint Home Flex. I use myself one though on 2019 model, but with no issues whatsoever. There is a separate thread on chargers as well, but it boils down to 3-4 brands it seems. Of more concern is the fact that it seems not to charge even using the Audi brick. That sounds pretty bad IMHO.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ChargePoint Home Flex works fine on my 21 E-Tron except for getting notifications every 5 minutes on the phone when it's reaches 80% charge. But you can turn off notification in the app.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I will have to lemon law and sue the dealer.
To be a bit pedantic, when you pursue a lemon law claim, it's between you and the manufacturer, not you and the dealer.

When you say the loaner won't charge past 50% at your house, can you describe what you're doing/what's showing this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be a bit pedantic, when you pursue a lemon law claim, it's between you and the manufacturer, not you and the dealer.

When you say the loaner won't charge past 50% at your house, can you describe what you're doing/what's showing this?
Yes, I plugged my 32amp ChargePoint into it, went from 37% to 50% via the “fuel gauge” and MMI/Vehicle/Charging window..charge level was set to 100%. I drove around dropping the charge to 44%, then plugged into a public access 60kW charger. Everything worked as it should, but as soon as the charge % showed 50% on the terminal screen, it immediately flashed to “charging complete” and stopped charging.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
But at the dealer it will go to 100%? You should have an Audi E Tron Tech from the Dealer go with you to a remote charging station and try to charge it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, I plugged my 32amp ChargePoint into it, went from 37% to 50% via the “fuel gauge” and MMI/Vehicle/Charging window..charge level was set to 100%. I drove around dropping the charge to 44%, then plugged into a public access 60kW charger. Everything worked as it should, but as soon as the charge % showed 50% on the terminal screen, it immediately flashed to “charging complete” and stopped charging.
You may want to check out this thread--go to the top of the thread: Beautiful car. Took delivery yesterday. Just one thing...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update

Got the car back yesterday and got the charge down to 80% today. Set home address to 90% (set to 100% away from home) the included Audi charger works fine at home (albeit a trickle at 110v). The public 60kW charger works now too, but it was only charging at 25kW (battery was at 82%..does charging slow down as battery gets close to full?).

Bad news on my hardwired ChargePoint 32A (40A fuse) though, plug it in it flashes white once then nothing happens. I was hoping I wouldn’t have have to take out the ChargePoint, but it seems like I will need to replace it with a 14-50 plug and use the Audi Charger instead, so annoying.

The electrician won’t be out until next week, so I’ll make a last ditch effort and grab the managers E-Tron again to see if it still charges at my house. It just doesn’t make sense why my ChargePoint will charge other E-Trons but not mine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The public 60kW charger works now too, but it was only charging at 25kW (battery was at 82%..does charging slow down as battery gets close to full?).
Yes, charging slows as the battery gets high (and public chargers don't always actually output what they say they will)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, charging slows as the battery gets high (and public chargers don't always actually output what they say they will)
That is so true. Was at the charging station earlier, parked at the 350KW charger, it would only do 37KW. I moved to a 150KW unit and it charged at 147KW.

Earth Day! Free charging at ElectrifyAmerica. Just plugged in and it started working, no futzing around with an app or card, just plug and charge! This is how it should be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts