Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My luck. I just picked up my 2021 e-tron on Saturday. Has about 370 miles on it and this morning my wife borrowed the car to go shopping.
On i80 in the bay area, a rock hit the windshield and there is a Susan B. Anthony size bullseye with some spider cracks.

Question, would you see if its fixable or go with a new replacement windshield?

I'm thinking go new because the car is brand new.
Anyone know what a new windshield will cost? I've reached out to several dealers but no estimates yet.

Ugh, feel terrible. Really been enjoying the e-tron this past 4 days!

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is a super bummer!

The “fixes” are often visible, and if it is that large it will probably be very visible. If it is in the driver’s line of sight the windshield should probably be replaced.

i believe windshields are a structural part of the car, so damage must be repaired to maintain integrity in the case of a collision.

Best of luck with this!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Terrible! Does your model have the double-pane glass? Talk to your Dealer. There may be some "special" features with the window. I have noticed my Prestige unfortunately seems to back-reflect light into the cabin more than in past cars--may have to do with coating for the Heads Up display.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
First, let's see some photos of the damage. Second, if you have double pane glass, and don't have insurance coverage, you will be out of some cash. These are expensive to replace and I would not go with after market ones - they suck. Last but not least, I had a decent size chip in the front windshield on the first run after picking the car. It is the Colorado's way of showing the middle finger :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a windshield replaced in a BMW with a HUD. It was under warrantee, which is good be wise it would have been over $1,000. That was several years ago, too, and I suspect prices have not gone down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a premium plus so not double glazed?
The dealer quoted $2255 for a new windshield.
One windshield repair company said its too big for them to do and warranty the work.
They also recommended a new windshield.

My deductible is $500. So I'm probably gonna get a new windshield.

Here is a picture

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
Yeah that is a replacement. You have spiderweb already and it will only get worse with traffic, and heat / cold cycle. Sorry to hear about it. It is never nice to have such damage happen.

In my case, the rock left just a small hole in the outer layer and it was patched on the spot (pulled over, called insurance, they were able to schedule the mobile team to deal with it on the spot).

Since insurance is paying for it, do not accept replacement ones. They are messy and generally of lower quality. In Tuareg I used to own I had a replacement windshield crack on my in half just a week after replacement. Material stress, that was their excuse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was in the business head of sales. Get it fixed professionally use a National company. if you don’t like it you can get it replaced, tell wife not to tailgate sorry it happed. I never like breaking the factory seal on a windshield.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was in the business head of sales. Get it fixed professionally use a National company. if you don’t like it you can get it replaced, tell wife not to tailgate sorry it happed. I never like breaking the factory seal on a windshield.
They say if it’s smaller than a quarter, they can seal it. If bigger than need replacement .

·
Registered
10 Posts
They say if it’s smaller than a quarter, they can seal it. If bigger than need replacement .
If he was in my area based off that picture a star is the best one to fix with high-end equipment. I sold to the manufacturers and had a division that sold to the dealers. You never want to pull a windshield unless you have too. The problem with many of the installers they are all about speed and getting to the next job. Windshield is part of the structural integrity of the vehicle, anyway if that was mine I would repair. But then again I know the top in the BIZ.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
154 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts