Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the same problem?

It's winter time and on a cold day, there's a pattern of me getting in my warm pre-heated car.
Setting off, and after a while, gradually getting colder and colder, far below the required temperature.

(Same if I don't pre-heat the car. The car will quickly heat up, no problems there. But isn't able to maintain that temperature after a while).

What I've noticed is that the heater is still working, but the fan speed slows down to a level where the heater is unable to sustain the required heat (not necessarily much, only 20°C). I have to increase the fan speed manually to address that and that does make a big difference.

Perhaps I'm spoiled leaving the climate control in its 'auto' mode. Or a faulty sensor could be the culprit. What's your experience?

Oh, and on a side note, what also seems to be a bit wack. Pre-heating the car at the minimum of 16°C, makes it a lot hotter inside the cabin than 20°C via the car controls does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm, I sort of have the same feeling in my first week of ownership, especially in the foot well. So I played around with the MMI settings for the climate control. In the menus you can set the footwell in 3 settings colder-medium-warmer, and that helped my feet a lot. Maybe there's a setting for the generel temperature, like "keep it high".

I have the heat set at 23 degrees celsius. In all other cars I go with 21 degrees. So something is off yes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you use eco-mode (efficiency), I kinda understand the lower output... but at the same time, if it defeats the auto-climate control mode, it should switch it off so you'll know.

I roll away in comfort mode and after firstly heating up properly, feel the temperature dropping, that's annoying. I'd rather have a constant temperature all the time instead of fiddling with the settings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does anyone have the same problem?

It's winter time and on a cold day, there's a pattern of me getting in my warm pre-heated car.
Setting off, and after a while, gradually getting colder and colder, far below the required temperature.

(Same if I don't pre-heat the car. The car will quickly heat up, no problems there. But isn't able to maintain that temperature after a while).

What I've noticed is that the heater is still working, but the fan speed slows down to a level where the heater is unable to sustain the required heat (not necessarily much, only 20°C). I have to increase the fan speed manually to address that and that does make a big difference.

Perhaps I'm spoiled leaving the climate control in its 'auto' mode. Or a faulty sensor could be the culprit. What's your experience?

Oh, and on a side note, what also seems to be a bit wack. Pre-heating the car at the minimum of 16°C, makes it a lot hotter inside the cabin than 20°C via the car controls does.
One thing I noticed in my Tesla was that without an engine in front of you, the car would get cold when driving in cold weather on the highway. Essentially with a normal ICE car, the engine heat would come back into the cabin when you drove … supplementing the normal heating system. With an all electric car, this does not happen. So I would see the same thing happen you are seeing: the car would heat up fine when stationary but once you started moving, cold air came pushing through the front into the foot wells significantly lowering the interior temperatures unless I pushed the fan speeds up. At many times, I could even feel a draft of cold air at higher speeds.

And yes, in theory, there should be insulation, but no insulation can substitute for a large, hot, engine sitting between you and the cold air in an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I noticed in my Tesla was that without an engine in front of you, the car would get cold when driving in cold weather on the highway. Essentially with a normal ICE car, the engine heat would come back into the cabin when you drove … supplementing the normal heating system. With an all electric car, this does not happen. So I would see the same thing happen you are seeing: the car would heat up fine when stationary but once you started moving, cold air came pushing through the front into the foot wells significantly lowering the interior temperatures unless I pushed the fan speeds up. At many times, I could even feel a draft of cold air at higher speeds.

And yes, in theory, there should be insulation, but no insulation can substitute for a large, hot, engine sitting between you and the cold air in an ICE vehicle.
Although it could explain the temperature offset between heating up the car when stationary vs driving around, that's not the problem. When I start with a cold car, the cabin heats up nicely when driving. The problem is that it doesn't do a great job in keeping it that way. It's not a Tesla, if I'm excused for saying that. From a carmaker like Audi, I expect them to use temperature sensors inside the cabin to control the heater, how else would an automated climate control work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have my climate control set to "Auto" and it leaves a lot to be desired. I rarely if ever feel air moving and I am not even sure it works that well. If I take it off Auto then I can actually feel the air moving but I haven't had to do that for years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had many EVs that generate a very good heat without an ICE. I believe it must be something in the heat pump/efficiency design of the E-Tron as I have noticed the same thing. I find I have to set the temperature to maybe 76F to get the "feeling" of 72 in other cars. And this is very un-Audi like as they usually use light sensors etc to create the right feel in their cars better than most other manufacturers.

I am hoping its a programming/control loop issue that will be addressed. Its the first Audi I have been in where setting a temperature doesn't really create the comfort that I expect. I also feel it gets colder if I set the temperature to the "right" temp. What's interesting is the Taycan didn't have this issue and I believe the heating/cooling/battery management is the same.

·
Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
69 Posts
Hmm, my wife just said the same to me. Must be a common GT problem. Wonder if the "regular" E tron members have the same experience and can elaborate?
I kinda have similar experience. I don't pre-heat my car, being in SoCal it doesn't get too cold, but when I start driving I set the temp to 74 and it gets very warm quickly. However, after some time the temp drops. I was curious myself as to why the temperature doesn't stay the same regardless of temperature set and ECO being on or off.
One thing I noticed that fans blow different amount of air if the rear AC in on, so I usually turn the rear off. Also, even though I drive alone, I set the AC to SYNC as I am positioning the left passenger vent towards myself, and it works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
March/21 e-tron 55 Vorsprung
9 Posts
I have a similar issue with the heating. There was a time when it wouldn’t heat the cabin at all under any combination of auto/manual/AC on/AC off. Had to stop and use the pre-heat facility.

Now, on Auto, even when the temperature is set to HI, I get a trickle of warming air, even in cold weather. On Auto, if heating, never get more than a trickle of air (around fan speed ‘2’).

When Auto is turned off, I can turn the fan up and heat up the cabin quite quickly, the have to switch to Auto for it to just maintain that temperature.

My expectation of Auto is you set the desired temperature and it should do it’s best to get the cabin to that temp fast, then slow down to maintain that target temperature? Or am I expecting too much?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Starting to get nervous. I swore after all the issues we had with our Q7 that I wouldn’t order a first model year car again. But here I am with a deposit on an e-tron GT.

Do the GTs seem to be problematic or is this typical forum chatter where people talk more about their problems than the positive experiences?

Seems like so much electronics and technology that has to go right.

·
Registered
March/21 e-tron 55 Vorsprung
9 Posts
I’ve had a catalogue of issues with my Etron, from the outset. Mostly to do with the advanced driver assistance features, but also AC, virtual wing mirrors, wireless phone interface. The one mechanical issue - the pump in the cooling system failing was fixed quickly. The rest, Audi are clueless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Starting to get nervous. I swore after all the issues we had with our Q7 that I wouldn’t order a first model year car again. But here I am with a deposit on an e-tron GT.

Do the GTs seem to be problematic or is this typical forum chatter where people talk more about their problems than the positive experiences?

Seems like so much electronics and technology that has to go right.
I'm new to the "Audi world", as I have owned BMWs for the last 10 years. But last year I bought a used A3 from 2011, and have had to change brakes and some kind of light adjustment sensor that is known to fail. Cost me about 1000$. When I wanted to sell one of our cars because we got this GT. I asked my mechanic which to sell, our Honda Accord from 2009 or the A3, he said the A3. I asked why since it's 2 years newer. "Because it's an Audi and that will be expensive" (he's an Audi mechanic)
That set my expectations a bit low. But being a new car with extended warranty, I don't worry too much. Still, when I wrote on this forum that I've had 2 random error messages, the reply was "Wouldn't be an Audi without random errors popping up"
So there must be something to it.

All in all I don't have any problems, and I will figure out the temp settings for sure. It's just a learning curve that I'm not used to. Also you might be right about the "forum chatter" as I have yet to report any problems to the Audi dealer. I don't even think they will report it back to HQ anyway. So how would this heating ever be fixed, I don't know where to go with the critique since it's also a problem for the older E-trons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess we now know it's by design, and not an on-off.
Thx @all !

Starting to get nervous. I swore after all the issues we had with our Q7 that I wouldn’t order a first model year car again. But here I am with a deposit on an e-tron GT. (..)
Since it's based on the same J1 platform as the Taycan, I assume they share their problems/learnings/evolution.
The Taycan forums gives you more insights to what problems they've experienced from its first MY to the current gen. And I believe they already fixed a lot (mostly software). Hopefully the idea that it ain't completely new will put you at ease.

BTW, I did find plenty of Taycan's with HVAC system complaints!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess we now know it's by design, and not an on-off.
Thx @all !

Since it's based on the same J1 platform as the Taycan, I assume they share their problems/learnings/evolution.
The Taycan forums gives you more insights to what problems they've experienced from its first MY to the current gen. And I believe they already fixed a lot (mostly software). Hopefully the idea that it ain't completely new will put you at ease.

BTW, I did find plenty of Taycan's with HVAC system complaints!
The only problem I'm most worried about because it's the J1 platform is the main battery.
This issue has been popping up with the Taycan. Not every Taycan, but enough to keep an eye out for it.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Gauge Font

All 1st year run EVs will have more bugs than we are used to, but the major ones like an entire main battery replacement is another story

·
Registered
15 Posts
I owned the first release back of Taycan (Jan 2020) for 1.5 years before trading in and had no issues. All those issues were not at all with battery or drivetrain but a firmware communication error with rear motor that was resolved in an update. so there was no hardware/design issue and I am guessing Audi has rolled the same firmware fix into the newer units.

Reactions: Ps702

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've noticed that if I use the app to start the air-conditioning on a cold morning before going out to the car, that when I then get in and start driving the car the air conditioning turns off at some stage (and indicates as Off on the control panel), perhaps at the 60 minute mark that the 'quick start' function in the app sets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts