Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my 2022 E-Tron GT Prestige last week. At lower speeds (under 70mph) the cabin is very quiet with no notable road or wind noise. However, when on the highway doing 80+ mph, the road and especially wind noise becomes quite profound. The wind noise is heard coming from the front of the car around the windshield area.

I first thought that maybe the windshield was not seated correctly but that seems unlikely since at lower speeds I hear almost nothing.

My previous ride was a 2017 A6 3.0T and the wind noise at higher speeds was definitely lower.

Any thoughts on this? Is this expected from the GT? Other than this small issue the car is absolutely lovely!

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
267 Posts
I think I’ve noticed the same. My preliminary assessment was that I was hearing two things: (1) the mix of actual real world external noise mixed with the faux sound produced by the car; and (2) noise previously disguised by my RS7 engine noise. Nonetheless, the cabin still feels quieter to me compared to the 7.

·
Registered
e Tron GT with lots of goodies
52 Posts
Hadn’t noticed any particular wind noise. Tire noise was pretty tough with my 21s, but putting 20s on for winter reduced that quite a bit.

Coming from Tesla as I do, though, a football stadium would sound quiet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Generally, with most EV's the "faux noise" fades out as the car gets above 30 mph, or so. It is intended entirely to alert pedestrians--not annoy you. The cars tend to be designed to direct some air flow underneath the car to assist with battery cooling, so the noise at high speeds may have to do with the purposeful air flow design. Or, maybe the increasing noise is intended to mask the sound of the police car sirens coming up behind you.

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron GT Prestige/Performance/Leather [Mythos Black]
200 Posts
I don't notice any significant noise at high speeds. But i'm used to my RS3 that was a lot less insulated for sound. I have noticed that my winter tires are noisier at high speeds (to be expected)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes - according to the window sticker it has "Dual-pane acoustic glass for side windows." That is part of the Prestige package.
This really a shame on such an expensive car. I think this is as good as it gets with these cars. I've tested both an GT and a RS GT. Both has this noise. It starts at about 130km/h. And also the road noise from the RS is horrible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interesting comments. I'm coming from a Q7 Prestige, which I felt was a very quiet car at highway speeds. My impression of the GT is that is more sensitive to tire noise. I am guessing this is because I am so much closer to the road/tires than I was in the Q7, and because the tires are a more aggressive profile. When I take corners hard (and how can you not in this car?!), I can hear the tire noise increase as I rip around the curve. However I still feel like the GT is noticeably quieter than my Q7 at higher speeds.

As for wind noise, I think the GT is much quieter, and feel that the very quiet motor allows you to discern sounds that would be masked by an ICE. YMMV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Btw, did you get any feedback from the dealership?
I haven't had a chance yet to take it to the dealership. But it seems you noticed the same noise at around the same speed as me. The car came with Pirelli tires which I have found in the past add to road noise. I think I'll put Continental tires on soon to see if they help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts