Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I test drove pretty much every single EV out there, before deciding on Audi. My reasons for ordering Q4 was trifold:

1) It was by far the best car to drive, in terms of both ergonomics and car behaviour.

2) It was a pure electric platform.

3) It came across a jack of all trades which suited me. It has awd, decent range and efficiency, lots of space, alright performance (I got the 50 quattro), and great looks to boot.

I do however have an issue with the interior. The amount of piano black and plastic finish is absurd for a car that ends up costing £65 k fully specced. What makes it worse is that you can't actually pay your way out of it, and this is AUDI. I'd gladly pay another £ 5 k to have proper quality interior, and there's no way adding padding instead of hard plastic will be a massive cost to this production.

The little research I've done on etron Q6 seems to follow the same interior path fwiw. Not that I fully understand the point of the Q6 Etron, but that's another discussion.

I suppose there are a lot of Audi fans on here, what's your opinion of this interior? Audi is historically be supposed to set the standards for interior quality. But they sure aren't on Q4.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think it's a certainty they were cost cutting on the interior, and the plastic in general. I also find the plastic air vents next to the grill, incredibly poor design and low quality for Audi S line styling.

But what I don't get is why they don't offer different materials for an additional fee.

And to be perfectly honest, the Q4 at £50-65 k isn't exactly a low budget car, so I'm confused by parts of the interior looking like a Nissan Leaf.

·
Registered
Q4 S-Line 40 Sportback, C+S Pack, Pebble Grey
52 Posts
im getting the piano black gearshifter console area professionally wrapped, I can see it will be an absolute fingerprint and scratch magnet. Ive been quoted £60+VAT so going to choose some matt carbon fibre style or dark grey option
Sounds like a plan however what about the touchscreen ? Thats exactly the same.
I keep a glass cleaning cloth in the centre console and wipe both about once a week. Not that big a deal. Before that it drove me nuts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep a glass cleaning cloth in the centre console and wipe both about once a week. Not that big a deal. Before that it drove me nuts
Unless I remember incorrectly there's also piano black around the door handle.

Odd how they use 'the fingerprint and scratch magnet' material where you are the most likely to fickle with your hands.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats all you can do with a touchscreen! Im just going to leave the rest of the Piano black for now and see how it goes. I have an XC60 right now, the touchscreen isnt anyway near as bad as the piano black centre console bit !

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think it's only about money. More crappy piano black and hard plastic = higher profit margin.
I haven't looked at EQA or EQB, but a fully specced EQC has roughly the same price as a fully specced Q4, and the Mercedes interior is so much better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Many EVs have had odd interior material choices due to weight, and I think that has given manufacturers a pass on non weight affecting material selections and finishes. I don't know if the Q4 will have the volume to support an aftermarket for interior bits that can be swapped out, either from Audi or third parties. Pretty much any late model BMW can get MPerformance interior trim from the dealer that is not standard on any car, but is OEM and made of carbon fiber and alcantara. I'm new to Audi so I don't know if they do anything like that for OEM aftermarket trim.

·
Registered
122 Posts
By far the most important thing for me is actually sqeeks and rattles in terms of build quality, and im happy to report that my Q4 is squeek and rattle free. Some bits of the interior are hard plastic, but honestly, most of the touch points are good quality, the wheel, the seats and the arm rest are all in nice leather.

It may not be as good as my S3 in terms of soft touch bits, but honestly, a bit of hard plastic in some places you're never gonna touch anyway, why get upset about it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By far the most important thing for me is actually sqeeks and rattles in terms of build quality, and im happy to report that my Q4 is squeek and rattle free. Some bits of the interior are hard plastic, but honestly, most of the touch points are good quality, the wheel, the seats and the arm rest are all in nice leather.

It may not be as good as my S3 in terms of soft touch bits, but honestly, a bit of hard plastic in some places you're never gonna touch anyway, why get upset about it?
That's sort of the problem for me. There's plenty of cheap plastic where you do end up touching a lot.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts