Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charge cover door release button - anyone had these fail? Earlier today it wouldn't release the charge cable. After umpteen attempts it eventually did. Now it won't open to allow me to plug it in. I suspect it's the button that's playing up. The cover on the other side works fine.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There are pull cords under the hood that should allow you to open the door and disengage the pin, but of course that is not normal. I'm in the US with a 2019 55 and have not had this problem. There has just been a recall issued here for certain E trons for replacing the charging module: rain getting into the module can cause the cover door to fail to open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like there are a few people with the same issue as myself in UK. I asked the same question on Facebook and have had 3 or 4 people saying they've had charge ports replaced due to this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope tried locking/unlocking car several times but made no difference at all. Driver's side charge port works fine. Passenger side does not.

Had 7 replies to my Facebook post from E-tron owners who have had the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The button for the charge port door started to behave like yours. It usually took me at least four presses for it work. After taking in for the service campaigns (charge port light and rear tail light bar) and a software update, it works on the first press again.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Nope tried locking/unlocking car several times but made no difference at all. Driver's side charge port works fine. Passenger side does not.

Had 7 replies to my Facebook post from E-tron owners who have had the same issue.
Yep I had almost this with my DC side charge port. It was intermittently unable to unlock/open the port and continually unable to retract back to a closed position. It was like this from delivery (I'd only tested the AC port).

Audi sorted it quickly. Amazing service. Car has been faultless since.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Service Action 93H6 - Charge Level Indicator. Just got the notice in the mail a few weeks ago. taking it in this Friday. Dealer noted that they have the parts in stock. So seems like they're ready. We haven't had the issue yet, but glad the processes are in place to address.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A few weeks ago I got a stuck plug on a GreenLots DC charger that I've used many times. I noticed the handle had a crack on it but I used it anyway (it's a free 50W charger). When the charge session ended I could not get the plug out. I tried to restart the charger for a few minutes (raised 80% to 90%), tried lock and unlocking the doors and finally pulled the yellow cable release, all without getting the plug to release. I never got through to Audi, so. I called Greenlots and they told me to hit the safety-off switch, which is holding the stop button in for 30 seconds.
This worked and the plug finally released, I've stopped at at least 10 different DC chargers over the last year and all have been mostly trouble-free (some EA chargers are slow to start and I've had to try a different charger once or twice), so I"ll write this off as a charger error and not an etron problem.
One last thing to mention - if you ever pull that emergency yellow cable - make sure you put the ring back on the tab. I left the cord out and once the charger released the plug the emergency release cable got sucked down into the fender. Lucky I got the service campaign notice the next day so I was able to get the cable fished out while they serviced the charge level indicator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the car is booked in to have the passenger side charge port repaired/replaced. Now the driver's side has failed. Car has 25 miles of charge left and dealer is 40 miles away.

Will call and give them the good news tomorrow that they will need to arrange for it to be uplifted.

Also, getting an intermittent "parking brake fault" light up. 🙈🙈🙈.

Still, on the plus side, heavy snow where I am just now and my other car is better in the snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Charge cover door release button - anyone had these fail? Earlier today it wouldn't release the charge cable. After umpteen attempts it eventually did. Now it won't open to allow me to plug it in. I suspect it's the button that's playing up. The cover on the other side works fine.
mine has started doing this a few days ago. The passenger side works fine. Going to have to ring them tomorrow. Not sure if it’s a common problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems to be a common issue. Some folk are getting recall letters to bring them in to be changed.

Both mine are faulty now. Car goes into Audi tomorrow.
Got mine booked in for next week although they are saying they won’t supply a courtesy car due to COVID. Not ideal but suppose it depends how long they have it.
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got mine booked in for next week although they are saying they won’t supply a courtesy car due to COVID. Not ideal but suppose it depends how long they have it.
Good luck
I have a quick question. I’m a new E-Tron owner. A 2020 model new off the floor and love it. It appears I have dual side charge points but only the driver side opens? Is the passenger side a false door for looks or should that one open as well to allow charging access on the right side of the car as well?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
I have a quick question. I’m a new E-Tron owner. A 2020 model new off the floor and love it. It appears I have dual side charge points but only the driver side opens? Is the passenger side a false door for looks or should that one open as well to allow charging access on the right side of the car as well?
I can't speak for US models but in Europe there are 2 charge ports. DC CCS and AC on one side. AC only on the other.

I took delivery of my etron and one of the ports would open but not close. Can your hear a quiet whirring sound when you press the button? Get very close to listen. I could hear a motor whirring but no movement from the door. This was diagnosed as a faulty unit and replaced by Audi. I suspect yours is a similar issue.

If you pop the hood you will see 2 pulleys above each charge door. Yellow and Green i recall. If you see these then yes your door isn't false. If either of the pulleys are loose then that would also signify a fault. Contact Audi in the first instance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a feeling the US only had the one charging port.

·
Registered
429 Posts
In the U.S., base level cars (premium) have only one operative door on the driver’s side. On the passenger side there is what appears to be a door, but it‘s not. Premium Plus & Prestige trim levels have 2 functional doors. The driver’s side has AC & DC capabilities but the passenger side is AC only, primarily for home charging where the charger is on that side.

I don’t have an e-tron yet, but several visits to dealers (as well as actual observations) have confirmed that 100%.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by 2020 model. Audi did not release an model line SUV in the US (even though it did in Europe) in 2020. You may be referring to the Sportback, which was released in 2020, but is based on the 2019 line. The 2019 models had a charging port ONLY on the drivers side. I understand that the 2021 models come with charging ports on both sides, the drivers side for AC and DC and the passengers side for AC only. For future reference, all the new model E Trons that Audi is now planning (eg the Q4) have the charging port on the Drivers side rear fender.

·
Registered
360 Posts
. For future reference, all the new model E Trons that Audi is now planning (eg the Q4) have the charging port on the Drivers side rear fender.
Isnt the GT at the front? :D :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts