Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 55 Quattro for a couple of months. Pleased with the car apart from the real range on long journeys . My question is about charging to 100%.
I read a lot that you should charge to 80% and that 80-100% is much slower but when I’ve used rapid chargers on the go it seems to charge as fast up to 95% ish. I’ve got the car on a 3 year 60,000 mile lease so not concerned about longevity of battery. Is there any good reason not to charge it to 100% on rapids and at home on 7kwh?
Travelling on business and pretty heavy footed on the motorways I get around 180 range. If your charging 20% to 80% thats only just over 100 miles between stops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One reason is efficiency. Above 80% you're quite a bit less efficient as your car cannot use regen braking (as much). This means you'll be wasting energy with friction brakes that would otherwise flow back to your battery.

Charging over 80% only makes sense when you need it for trip comfort / to reach the next charger.

Going below 20% is less of an issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Going below 20% is less of an issue.
Going less than 20% enters the 'nagging portal' where the other half is sat in the passenger seat clicking through the battery and navigation screens shouting at you that you need a charger soon....even though you know in the back of your mind that you will make it ok, you still stop just to have a bit of silence inside the car again...

Reactions: kataja

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lithium batteries don't like full charge and full discharge, regardless of whether its in the e-tron or you iPhone. Complete charge and discharge cycles degrade life of the cells, reducing charge capacity over time. For smartphones, they are replaced often enough that it does not matter. I actually wish smartphone and tablet makers would implement something like Audi does for the e-tron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts