Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum and EV world. Picked up my 2021 e-tron couple of days ago and had a 240v/50 amp breaker installed yesterday. I placed an order for the ChargePoint flex (on backorder for 2-3 weeks) last night, however, after seeing the charging time on the 240v I'm reconsidering my purchase.
Do you guys feel like an EV Charging station is necessary? I don't need to charge any faster than overnight and I use the car for about 20 miles a day tops. I know the station comes with all the bells and whistles, Im just having a hard time justifying the price tag.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The big advantage to the non-factory chargers is a better ability to set when charging occurs, so you can end up saving money by only charging during hours when your utility company is less.

If the chargepoint isn't available, you might look at something like the juicebox

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
I went with ChargePoint because of the option to schedule times and also monitor the charging remotely, keep track of expense, etc. I believe there is still federal tax break up to 1000 USD, up to 30% of the cost of the charger and installation as long as it is invoiced. It was a good reason as any to get it installed and have some money back from the IRS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The big advantage to the non-factory chargers is a better ability to set when charging occurs, so you can end up saving money by only charging during hours when your utility company is less.

If the chargepoint isn't available, you might look at something like the juicebox
Yeah, JuiceBox is not even taking orders. Grizzzle is but not entirely convinced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with ChargePoint because of the option to schedule times and also monitor the charging remotely, keep track of expense, etc. I believe there is still federal tax break up to 1000 USD, up to 30% of the cost of the charger and installation as long as it is invoiced. It was a good reason as any to get it installed and have some money back from the IRS.
That is correct. 30% off on the product and installation associated to it ($500 to install a 240v and 50amp breaker). Based on your response, seems like the cost will be worth it and will save Monet down the road.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
It cost me somewhat more to get the circuit up but it's because my panel was full. I needed new panel and some circuit swinging to make space in the main panel. At the end I'll maximize the refund

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Unless you are getting some great deal on a brand charger, you could just stick with using the Audi provided charger until you decide what you really need. My utility does not provide any favorable off-hours charging options, so the Audi charger has worked just fine for me, and with none of the communication/interface issues some of the brand chargers have encountered. You are correct, you actually will probably never even need "overnight" charging. Most likely you will be going from 50% to 80%, which can be done in a few hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

New to the forum and EV world. Picked up my 2021 e-tron couple of days ago and had a 240v/50 amp breaker installed yesterday. I placed an order for the ChargePoint flex (on backorder for 2-3 weeks) last night, however, after seeing the charging time on the 240v I'm reconsidering my purchase.
Do you guys feel like an EV Charging station is necessary? I don't need to charge any faster than overnight and I use the car for about 20 miles a day tops. I know the station comes with all the bells and whistles, Im just having a hard time justifying the price tag.

Thanks for you help.
There's absolutely no point spending any money on chargepoints, juiceboxes or even soda cans :p

They don't charge any faster and they don't give any information you need that's not included in the Audi app

If you want to schedule when you charge, that can be set up in the infotainment system in the car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There's absolutely no point spending any money on chargepoints, juiceboxes or even soda cans :p

They don't charge any faster and they don't give any information you need that's not included in the Audi app

If you want to schedule when you charge, that can be set up in the infotainment system in the car.
You miss an important point. For the many BEV owners that are offered reduced off-peak rates from their utility, the only way most utilities can confirm you are charging your car in off-peak hours, is with a connected WiFi charger. That’s a capability not offered by the Audi charger. Further, some utilities like mine will either buy the charger for you or credit you $500 toward the purchase of a connected charger.

So depending on your own situation, there can be a point in buying one of these chargers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
For the many BEV owners that are offered reduced off-peak rates from their utility, the only way most utilities can confirm you are charging your car in off-peak hours, is with a connected WiFi charger. That’s a capability not offered by the Audi charger.
What?! Why would the utility need to know when you're charging your car? They just change the price of electricity based on time of day. They know when you're using your power lol.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What?! Why would the utility need to know when you're charging your car? They just change the price of electricity based on time of day. They know when you're using your power lol.
Because you are only granted a discount for charging your car during off-hours, not for using electricity in general during off-hours. The point is they’re encouraging the purchase and use of BEVs. A connected WiFi charger gives them the necessary information to give you the charging discount.

To underscore this, they also give you $500 toward the purchase of an approved WiFi charger.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts