Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my e for almost a month and twice I have been unable to unplug the charger. The first time I had to use the yellow release cable. The second time nothing would release the charger, I locked/unlocked, turned on/off and everything else I could think of, nothing. As a last resort, I pressed the charging door button; the door closed a 1/4" and went back open, the charger then released.
Anybody else have this issue?

· Registered
2022 e-tron 55 SUV
127 Posts
There is a setting in MMI that will unlock the cable when charging is complete, although I think that's for DC charging rather than Level 1 or 2. In any case, you might want to try checking that box and see if it makes a difference. I have never had a problem detaching the cable after finishing Level 2 charging, but I have had to press the charger door button repeatedly to stop a Level 2 session that was in process in order to unlock the cable.

· Registered
233 Posts
This used to be an issue with the 2019s but Audi has since updated the software for the charge port. I have not had any issues since the update. Newer E-trons also have that option in the MMI for releasing the lock when AC charging but older ones only have that for DC. But in either case, make sure the car is unlocked, then push the button for the door. You should hear the mechanism unlock and the light above the charge port come on a second or two after you pushed the charge port door button. Audi's original recommendation was also to open to driver door in addition to unlocking but I did not have to do that in quite a while. What sometimes can help if it is really stubborn is to go through a series of 5 unlock/lock cycles with the key fob. I usually try to get the car to unlock using these steps as I see the yellow tab as a last resort. I did use it a couple of times but only during the first year of ownership.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same problem. Second day as owner. Charging cable would not release. Tried pulling manual emergency charger release to no avail. Pushed charging door button several times with no result. Followed directions above and used the key fob to lock and unlock car several times, Went back to charging port and pushed the door button, and charger released. Phew!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts