Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing charging issues after the update of Audi’s App system. First it wouldn’t charge at ElectrifyAmerica stations, good thing I had sufficient charge to get home and charge the vehicle. It seemingly self resolved 2 days later, I tried at an EvGo station, it worked, then tried at ElectrifyAmerica and it worked. Last Monday night, I got a Drive System fault error referencing the cooling system. I restarted the car, not resolved. Drove home, locked the vehicle, waited 10 minutes and 2nd time 1/2 hour, still didn’t reset however, i noticed the available range was going down. I plugged in to charge overnight and it charged 2% and the charger listed the rate at .9Kw.

Took it in for service, they saw the fault but was unable to figure it out, cleared it, applied a software update, charged to 80 then to 100 and drove to deplete some charge and charge again. Things seemed fine. Got the car back Friday evening, drove over the weekend, plugged in to charge, woke up to car saying it charged 1 percent and needed 11+ days to reach 80% and charging rate was 0.0Kw. I should have taken a screenshot at that point but I went to unplug and then try again. Started with 8.8Kw, the a minute later it said 3.8Kw, then .9Kw. Checked the charge cable, set to 100%, unplugged everything, reset the breaker, plugged in again and same thing, starts at 8.8, the drops to .9. Decided to use the AC only charger on the other side, same thing occurs. I deleted all the timers, then plugged in again, same issue. It started saying a little over 2 hours to go from 62% to 80%, then over a day. I’m not sure what is going on but I’m going to take the car back for them to check it out.

Went from things working fine, able to charge at home and on the road, to home only, now seemingly on the road. Has anyone else had this or any charging issues since the App maintenance at the end of April?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It works fine on DC Fast Chargers, just not on AC. Couple of photos I snapped:

Note the time from first photo to second, all the things I did took place in between these two photos.

This is while the car is at the dealer. Seems they used a Fast Charger:

I dropped off car and Audi Charge cable for them to check. Might be doing another software update now, it’s at 99%. Has anyone had to get a replacement cable due to charging issues? How much do these unit cost?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe. The dealer doesn’t have a NEMA 16-50 plug to test the device or theirs was pinned differently. I showed all the screenshots I took. It was giving different info within the same time period in the 2 places you can monitor the charge. They are going to send to the engineers for further guidance.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
664 Posts
I doubt that is true. To sell eTron, all workshops should be equipped with 16-50 plug to use for charging testing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Key word there is should be. Like you I was surprised to hear that. The positive in this though is when I went to charge the vehicle, I plugged in and the car started charging. No asking for payment, no using either the Audi or EA app, it just worked. If the can set this up for their loaner vehicle, they can do something for all etron owners to have this experience. I’m hopeful they can make this a reality soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shop was able to duplicate the issue, now the info goes to the engineers for guidance on next steps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got an update that they had to order a cooling valve, awaiting the part to come in and get installed. Will know more in a a couple of days, I hope. I'm driving the Sportback and testing out the auto regen feature this week.

Has anyone had to have a cooling valve replaced?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got notified the parts arrived today and they hope to have it completed by Wednesday. Seems like a trial and error thing, they try a fix, report back to Audi then wait for a response, then try the next thing.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
664 Posts
Yep, that is what the approach seems to be in cases where the issue is not immediately obvious. Look on the bright side, parts of the car will be brand new ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's exactly how I view it. I want them to take the time to resolve it so I can have an enjoyable experience when I get it back. I have to say though, I think these vehicles are going to be plagued with some electronics issues for another model year or 2 until they can get things sorted. My loaner threw some codes the other day and the Lane Keep Assist feature no longer works. It did throw some errors on other portions, like Traffic Jam Assist, which stopped working but seems to work briefly before going out again, so I don't bother with it. From the postings here, they seem to have a number of things to sort through however, the good news is that not all of us have these issues, so it might be components from a certain build period. Would be nice though to have parts more readily available to cut down on repair time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the car back today, 29 days later. Issue was with a coolant change over valve. Based on repair notes, they had to remove the front end, specifically the bumper and RF wheel liner. drain the fluid, replace the valve and refill. Some notes on calibrating the adaptive cruise sensor and cameras were done as well as a check on an alignment rack. So good to have the car back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please let us know how the car is doing now Since the repairs. My first 2021 Sportback was in the shop for 28 days. Issues and they had to wait for engineers etc. I had the car less than 24 hours 😭
I feel Your pain.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car seems to be fine now, it charges at home with no issues, so far. While they did have the car for 29 days, the service document list 5.7 hours of actual time spent working on it. As someone in IT, I understand some unknown issues takes time to troubleshoot especially when external folks are involved. You run the recommended fix/test, then report back findings to software/hardware company, then wait for the them to get back to you for the next thing to try. The bulk of the wait was for the part to come in. While that was a bit of a stretch, there isn't anything I can do with a broken car, so better it stays with them until it get fixed. I had a Sportback loaner so I was fine waiting, no need to buy gas during that wait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts