Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The E-Tron Owners Manual suggests charging the battery to 80% for normal use and only charge to 100% when the range is needed. I also understand that the e-Tron is programmed to not give access to the full battery—only 80%. Is that the same 80% and charging to 100% is already protected by the limited access?

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can charge to "100%"

Yes you can charge to what shows as 100%. Because that 100% charge is still limited by the eTron's programming to an actual charge of only 85% of the battery capacity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have taken to charging ours to the 80% mark when at home, but leave it to charge to 100% when it is at our freebie office charger. While the car internally manages the battery pack to only utilize 83.5% or so of the actual 95kWh capacity Audi and other car manufacturers basically tell you to avoid total top ups if you don't really need them as it will reduce overall wear on the batteries. Since we don't really need the range most of the time, we leave it around 80% or so. Depending on how you drive the car and where you can charge should dictate your charging routine.

Likewise, leaving it plugged in for long periods of time (like a month) is probably not a great idea. We accidentally did that to a BMW PHEV and found the capacity had been reduced significantly on its small capacity.

I am hoping that Audi can programmatically improve efficiency of this model over time (as Tesla did with the original Roadster) since the range is the biggest downside on this car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
80% protects the top, 83.6 kWh protects the bottom

The e-tron has a 95 kWh battery. But only 83.6 kWh (88% of 95 kWh) is available to the driver. I believe (but I'm not sure, if anyone has evidence to the contrary please provide it) that the remaining 11.4 kWh protect the bottom of the battery, so it never goes fully empty. So the 80% recommendation is to protect the top (so that the battery does not get fully charged). Lithium-ion batteries do NOT like being fully charged, which is why your iPhone battery loses about 15% of its capacity every year: because you use it all the time and you charge it full at least once a day. I set my charging target to 80% except when going on longer trips (more than 70 miles away), or when encountering a free charger (yes, there are still some available); in those cases I charge to 100%.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very interesting points by both @bradhinkle & @ioannisk. But basically both are saying the opposite of each other. I’m still confused. should you charge you battery to 100% (which is let’s say approx 80%-88% in reality as Audi doesn’t let you use your full battery) or should one charge at 80% ( which in reality will be 80% of useable battery by Audi) ?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
Audi reserves 12% of the pack total: 8% on the bottom, 4% from the top.

So when the screen shows “100%” that’s actually 96%, and when it shows “0%” that’s actually 8%.

There is an internal document floating around that confirms this.

·
Registered
67 Posts

The e-tron has a 95 kWh battery. But only 83.6 kWh (88% of 95 kWh) is available to the driver. I believe (but I'm not sure, if anyone has evidence to the contrary please provide it) that the remaining 11.4 kWh protect the bottom of the battery, so it never goes fully empty. So the 80% recommendation is to protect the top (so that the battery does not get fully charged). Lithium-ion batteries do NOT like being fully charged, which is why your iPhone battery loses about 15% of its capacity every year: because you use it all the time and you charge it full at least once a day. I set my charging target to 80% except when going on longer trips (more than 70 miles away), or when encountering a free charger (yes, there are still some available); in those cases I charge to 100%.
interesting. What is your charging practice? Do you believe in more Shallow micro charges or less frequent charges where u let the battery fall to 20-25% and then recharge?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very interesting points by both @bradhinkle & @ioannisk. But basically both are saying the opposite of each other. I’m still confused. should you charge you battery to 100% (which is let’s say approx 80%-88% in reality as Audi doesn’t let you use your full battery) or should one charge at 80% ( which in reality will be 80% of useable battery by Audi) ?
Hello. I’m a new member and just leased my Audi 2021 E-Tron last week.

So was there a definitive answer to this question? Should we be charging the car to 80% or 100%? I’m assuming that for reasons already mentioned above charging to 80% (meaning 80% of the 80% that the car only lets you charge to by default) is better for the battery 🔋? Whenever I charge to 100% I only get about 198 mi - 201 mi range which I’m assuming is the 80% that car only lets you charge to by default.

Anyone have a definitive answer or best practice?

·
Registered
2 Posts

So was there a definitive answer to this question? Should we be charging the car to 80% or 100%? I’m assuming that for reasons already mentioned above charging to 80% (meaning 80% of the 80% that the car only lets you charge to by default) is better for the battery 🔋? Whenever I charge to 100% I only get about 198 mi - 201 mi range which I’m assuming is the 80% that car only lets you charge to by default.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
61 Posts

80% or less is better for the battery. This graph comes from a paper on a Li-ion battery that was leading edge in 2012... I'd expect that today's batteries are better. Also at 35C, and hotter makes batteries wear out faster, and your batteries will be cooler. And at 1C charge/discharge rate. Or quick charge followed by BOH driving. Full equivalent cycle is 0-100%, or ten times 45% to 55% or similar.

25%-75% cycle (actual SOC) would be about 35% to 80% SOC as reported by the car.

The "miles" on the GOM reflect lots of things besides the state of the battery. How fast you drive, climate control use, outside temperature, ....

GOM is Guess O Meter.

Reactions: LoRdNin

·
Registered
12 Posts

I am new the to group. I have a 2021 Prestige (3 days old). I will have an 80 mile round trip commute every other day. Would folks be of the opinion that I top it off? Getting to my level 2 charger in the back of my house is a hassle, as I live in the city. I'd like to just top it off and park on the street half the time. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
Is there anything that can be done to make driving to the back easier? Parking mirrors?

Being able to plug in at night is one of the best parts about EV ownership. Otherwise, see how it goes and start with a 40 mile buffer IMO.

Plugshare and A Better Route Planner are invaluable for finding chargers and planning trips.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am new the to group. I have a 2021 Prestige (3 days old). I will have an 80 mile round trip commute every other day. Would folks be of the opinion that I top it off? Getting to my level 2 charger in the back of my house is a hassle, as I live in the city. I'd like to just top it off and park on the street half the time. Thoughts?
Congratulations on your Audi Prestige! I'm assuming your are in DC? In the summer you'd be working with close to the 230 max range EPA at 100% charge. If you charge to 80% max charge for everyday use as recommended by Audi, you are talking 184mi. Factor in miles lost due to A/C, driving style, etc, you would probably get one 80 mi trip out of a single 80% charge. Note that in the winter, your might lose 15% or so of battery capacity. That still works, but cuts your margin a bit. So, it looks like you'd need to make your way to your L2 charger every other day. The Audi does not suffer from any "phantom drain". That is, what you put into the battery stays there until you take it out, so charging it and then parking it on the street would not be a problem (well, except that it IS DC. My son lives there so I know what that can mean!) Will you need to reserve another 20 mi or so just for driving around to find a parking spot?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congratulations on your Audi Prestige! I'm assuming your are in DC? In the summer you'd be working with close to the 230 max range EPA at 100% charge. If you charge to 80% max charge for everyday use as recommended by Audi, you are talking 184mi. Factor in miles lost due to A/C, driving style, etc, you would probably get one 80 mi trip out of a single 80% charge. Note that in the winter, your might lose 15% or so of battery capacity. That still works, but cuts your margin a bit. So, it looks like you'd need to make your way to your L2 charger every other day. The Audi does not suffer from any "phantom drain". That is, what you put into the battery stays there until you take it out, so charging it and then parking it on the street would not be a problem (well, except that it IS DC. My son lives there so I know what that can mean!) Will you need to reserve another 20 mi or so just for driving around to find a parking spot?
Thanks for addressing my question. To be clear round trip is 80 miles. Are you saying that 80% charge will use all of it with AC running? My L2 charger was installed today. I am getting 23mph on it. I think that is decent.
There is no issue with parking on the street in my part of town.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thanks for addressing my question. To be clear round trip is 80 miles. Are you saying that 80% charge will use all of it with AC running? My L2 charger was installed today. I am getting 23mph on it. I think that is decent.
There is no issue with parking on the street in my part of town.
No, it won't use all of it, but at 80% max charge you probably won't have enough capacity to do two 80 mile trips between charges. The car will start giving you alerts about a low battery at around 25% remaining capacity. At that point it will also start shutting down non-essential functions that are contributing to the battery drain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, it won't use all of it, but at 80% max charge you probably won't have enough capacity to do two 80 mile trips between charges. The car will start giving you alerts about a low battery at around 25% remaining capacity. At that point it will also start shutting down non-essential functions that are contributing to the battery drain.
Got it. I agree. It won't be enough on 80%. I think that commute would require a 100% charge. I'll keep everyone updated.
I am loving the car however. Came from an SQ5. I was going to buy a Model X but the fit and finish was abysmal. The self driving feature is good, but not worth giving up the features of the etron.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Got it. I agree. It won't be enough on 80%. I think that commute would require a 100% charge. I'll keep everyone updated.
I am loving the car however. Came from an SQ5. I was going to buy a Model X but the fit and finish was abysmal. The self driving feature is good, but not worth giving up the features of the etron.

Cheers,
Tom
One thing you might consider, depending on how your 'real life driving experience" plays out, the "80%" upper limit on everyday charging, was set to protect the battery primarily during L3, HVDC charging. HVDC charging is probably the worst thing you can do to an EV battery. L2 is not nearly as demanding. It's interesting that, for Audi, that limit is also where the "high constant charging" rate starts to drop for the Etron during HVDC charging. It takes a lot more time to try to jam more electrons into the battery for that last 20%, so timewise 80% is a good place to stop. It is likely that for L2 charging, going to 100% probably would not cause any noticeable problems for years. Also, for the 2019 E tron, Audi actually blocked off the lower 8% (meaning "zero" to you is actually 8% left) and upper 4% ("100%" to you is actually 96% of the true maximum). Audi backed those padding numbers off a bit for 2021's, I think, but there is still some safety padding built in. Bumping your charging max up to even 90% could give you an extra 20 mi, or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts