Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my E-Tron last April, then I got about 270 miles per charge. Recently I took it to the dealer to have it checked because my range when fully charged was 205 miles. What is the official range?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I’ve had my e tron 2 weeks, and car is now saying 95% charge is only 104miles- am I doing something wrong??

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi, I’ve had my e tron 2 weeks, and car is now saying 95% charge is only 104miles- am I doing something wrong??
Clearly, that is not right! I don't think there is anything you could do yourself that would degrade your miles like that. Either you have a battery problem, or your GOM (Guess-O-Meter that estimates your mileage based on your driving habits) is defective. I would talk with Audi Service!

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
304 Posts
Factors like weather and speed could be impacting these ratings. On the positive side the GOM actually provides a realistic idea of how much range you have.

It's important to include your efficiency readout from the car. (e.g. 2.2 miles / kWh)

The EPA range is 204 miles, which translates to an efficiency of 2.44 m/kWh.
The battery has 83.6 kWh usable - multiplied by 2.44 = 204 miles.

So if you are getting decent efficiency 2-2.5 m/kWh, AND there is a big mismatch in the GOM readout, there might be a problem.

165 @ 100% sounds normal for high speed travel or poor weather conditions. 104 miles @ 95% definitely sounds like an issue (unless you are towing something large).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Factors like weather and speed could be impacting these ratings. On the positive side the GOM actually provides a realistic idea of how much range you have.

It's important to include your efficiency readout from the car. (e.g. 2.2 miles / kWh)

The EPA range is 204 miles, which translates to an efficiency of 2.44 m/kWh.
The battery has 83.6 kWh usable - multiplied by 2.44 = 204 miles.

So if you are getting decent efficiency 2-2.5 m/kWh, AND there is a big mismatch in the GOM readout, there might be a problem.

165 @ 100% sounds normal for high speed travel or poor weather conditions. 104 miles @ 95% definitely sounds like an issue (unless you are towing something large).
Hi, thanks for the comments. Most of my journeys so far have just been the school run, and the weekly trip to the supermarket. The other strange thing is that there are big drops in the % and mileage- for example when I turned the car in this morning the available mileage was 103 miles, but this then immediately dropped to 69 without even moving off the drive. I think we need a visit to the garage!

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
304 Posts
Couple other things to note: short city trips do tend to eat range a bit more, especially in the cold. Once the battery heats up it should stabilize.
And the efficiency rating does adjust when stationary based on HVAC usage. But still those numbers are very low. Please do share an update once they look at it. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, thanks for the comments. Most of my journeys so far have just been the school run, and the weekly trip to the supermarket. The other strange thing is that there are big drops in the % and mileage- for example when I turned the car in this morning the available mileage was 103 miles, but this then immediately dropped to 69 without even moving off the drive. I think we need a visit to the garage!
I think you need to visit the garage. I have done 23k miles in my and never seen the range drop that low. Sometimes the preheat has been on I see a low figure like 170miles but it starts to go up as I drive off. Like somebody already said, a key measure is miles/kw. On school runs etc I get 2.1-2.2 and have managed to get 2.3 to 2.5 on longer runs (and I dont drive like a granny). It is 96 miles to my parents house and I can get there and back with 12-15miles left in the etank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had our etron 50 for 3 months, love it, but the range is shockingly poor. Audi say on their literature 193 miles on a full charge, we only ever get 138-145. It is currently in with them as I am not impressed, and they have called to say it is fully charged and is now showing 150 miles. , which I highlighted is about 76% of its advertised range. They told me they are seeing a 25-30% drop off. I've said that is not acceptable. I fear a fight!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have had our etron 50 for 3 months, love it, but the range is shockingly poor. Audi say on their literature 193 miles on a full charge, we only ever get 138-145. It is currently in with them as I am not impressed, and they have called to say it is fully charged and is now showing 150 miles. , which I highlighted is about 76% of its advertised range. They told me they are seeing a 25-30% drop off. I've said that is not acceptable. I fear a fight!
I have a similar issue, please let me know how you get on. I haven’t taken my car to Audi yet. On a full charge mine says 140miles and I’m getting more like 100 miles out of it before needing to charge again. I’ve only had it 6 weeks.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
273 Posts
@Ant C and @Philt what m/kWh consumption are you achieving each journey and on average, overall?

My etron 50 says it'll do 160 miles on a full charge. The advertised 193 miles, like any efficiency rating from a car manufacturer, should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Advertised MPG figures on ICE cars were always very best case scenario. Its the same here. Its a hard fact to accept, especially due this car being so thirsty and the battery is relatively small given that thirst.

To achieve 193 miles your efficiency on every single journey would need to be about 3m/kWh. The usable battery capacity is 64.7kWh - so 193m / 64.7kWh= 2.98m/kWh
I know most folks on here achieve between 2.3 and 2.7m/kWh, folks in a variety of climates and terrain.

My average over this UK autumn is 2.47m/kWh. On a good day I can get 2.8m/kWh or 181miles range..
Too early to say what my winter consuption is, but it'll be lower in the 2.0-2.3m/kWh or 148miles range best case.

I'm echoing what @polyphonic said earlier, but I'm saying all this in context of the 50.

Other factors at play:
Regen - do you use it? Or do you break heavily when you need to slow down, thus using mechanical brakes?
Is regen on Auto or manual? if manual, do you adjust the regen levels as you drive?
Are you heating your cabin at the start of a journey by setting the a/c to full, 30degrees? If so, this isn't an ICE. Set the cabin temp to a comfortable setting, the car will warm up quickly and you don't need to hammer the heating... that is inefficient.
Is your driving style towards the hard accelerate/hard brake or are you smooth on the throttle and brakes? The former will cost you of course. The latter is better.
Have you done any long journeys? What was the efficiency and ACTUAL range? The MMI learns your habits so if you just do short journeys all the time it will lower your range accordingly...

...Short journeys - same as in ICEs - will kill your consumption. Pre-heat the cabin before driving (this will pre-heat your battery I understand). Pre-heat whilst plugged in to your home charger for even better results.

100 miles from 100% to 0% would mean an average of 1.54m/kWh. Looking at the short journeys my wife makes (a couple of miles each way to work and back), that would be her experience too.Thankfully we do longer journeys from time to time to bring the average up.

I appreciate you may already understand all this so apologies if you do. Some people are completely new to the EV game and the 50 doesn't get as much air time so I'm covering all bases.

If none of this is applicable to you, or if you're already trying your best to eek out the miles then yea it sounds like you could have a faulty cell or two or maybe your MMI is playing up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Ant C and @Philt what m/kWh consumption are you achieving each journey and on average, overall?

My etron 50 says it'll do 160 miles on a full charge. The advertised 193 miles, like any efficiency rating from a car manufacturer, should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Advertised MPG figures on ICE cars were always very best case scenario. Its the same here. Its a hard fact to accept, especially due this car being so thirsty and the battery is relatively small given that thirst.

To achieve 193 miles your efficiency on every single journey would need to be about 3m/kWh. The usable battery capacity is 64.7kWh - so 193m / 64.7kWh= 2.98m/kWh
I know most folks on here achieve between 2.3 and 2.7m/kWh, folks in a variety of climates and terrain.

My average over this UK autumn is 2.47m/kWh. On a good day I can get 2.8m/kWh or 181miles range..
Too early to say what my winter consuption is, but it'll be lower in the 2.0-2.3m/kWh or 148miles range best case.

I'm echoing what @polyphonic said earlier, but I'm saying all this in context of the 50.

Other factors at play:
Regen - do you use it? Or do you break heavily when you need to slow down, thus using mechanical brakes?
Is regen on Auto or manual? if manual, do you adjust the regen levels as you drive?
Are you heating your cabin at the start of a journey by setting the a/c to full, 30degrees? If so, this isn't an ICE. Set the cabin temp to a comfortable setting, the car will warm up quickly and you don't need to hammer the heating... that is inefficient.
Is your driving style towards the hard accelerate/hard brake or are you smooth on the throttle and brakes? The former will cost you of course. The latter is better.
Have you done any long journeys? What was the efficiency and ACTUAL range? The MMI learns your habits so if you just do short journeys all the time it will lower your range accordingly...

...Short journeys - same as in ICEs - will kill your consumption. Pre-heat the cabin before driving (this will pre-heat your battery I understand). Pre-heat whilst plugged in to your home charger for even better results.

100 miles from 100% to 0% would mean an average of 1.54m/kWh. Looking at the short journeys my wife makes (a couple of miles each way to work and back), that would be her experience too.Thankfully we do longer journeys from time to time to bring the average up.

I appreciate you may already understand all this so apologies if you do. Some people are completely new to the EV game and the 50 doesn't get as much air time so I'm covering all bases.

If none of this is applicable to you, or if you're already trying your best to eek out the miles then yea it sounds like you could have a faulty cell or two or maybe your MMI is playing up?
I’m getting similar to you described above.
I use the brakes on automatic and have had to adjust my driving style to get more miles.
Maybe I will get used to the amount of miles I can get. I just didn’t realise it would be so poor when I got the car. On the plus side, it’s a lease so I can send it back in two years!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
273 Posts
I’m getting similar to you described above.
I use the brakes on automatic and have had to adjust my driving style to get more miles.
Maybe I will get used to the amount of miles I can get. I just didn’t realise it would be so poor when I got the car.
Ah nice one. Hopefully that number will go up over time. I guess like us, you're not doing the longer distances you normally would do due to the lockdown/tier restrictions?

Its a bit like having a motorcyle's tank of fuel in a big luxury car. Its completely incongruous to own this type of vehicle and have only a range of 150-160 miles, takes some getting used to. That said, for day to day use combined with convenient overnight charging it becomes a non-issue and is still cheaper to run than any ICE. Longer drives will return better range.

In the beginnig I drove like frugally until I realised this is an EV, I can arrive home plug in and have a full tank come morning. I'm now driving mine like I stole it and am really enjoying it - such a good car. The quattro system is awesome especially on our greasy wintery roads at the minute.

On the plus side, it’s a lease so I can send it back in two years!
:) Mine is also a lease. The idea was to get a decent EV and when the lease is up there will be more models to choose from with better range/efficiency - ID4, Enyaq or even better an improved (efficiency wise) etron.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just to give an update. I had an vw technician come out to the house to check the vehicle. He sat in the car for around 10 minutes and reported that there were no faults. As I had just had my Pod-Point charger fitted, he concluded that the problem was due to not using that charger (I have been using a 3 point plug charger, and local charging points). He advised to give it a few days and the problem should resolve itself, and that the problem could of been down to using ‘unstable’ charging (whatever that is!) Needless to say, the problem hasn’t changed, car is currently 100% with 121 miles available.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
One thing, various threads are reporting about problems with Pod Point chargers--https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/charging-schedule.1843/page-2#post-12686 not charging to 100%. Does your car also have a problem when using the Audi charger as a Level 2 charger?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my E-Tron last April, then I got about 270 miles per charge. Recently I took it to the dealer to have it checked because my range when fully charged was 205 miles. What is the official range?
first if you Both are in the US .. then you both have the eTron 55 .. EPA 204 for 2019-2020 with 84kWh battery usable.. 2021 gets EPA 222 a bump to 86kWh usable ..

with that said the best way to confirm you have a battery issue or not is to check usable battery capacity.. looking at range is miss leading because range has way too many factors.. your battery usable capacity has very few factors of change and even then only by 2% or less ..

Anyways just get your can down to 20% or 25% SoC .. and then charge your car up to 80% or 100% (20% to 80% should show 67kWh added .. or 25% to 75% should be 42kWh added or 25% to 100% 63kWh added) anything major lower than that and you have a battery issue ..take your car in for service and show them your SoC test results..

[ also when at (51%+) 70%+ SoC see if boost mode is available or not and max power level ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts