Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
140 Posts
@pressurized and @Steggs ...

Well, short of trying other chargers I don't know how to tell. If either of you are motivated enough to try and find out and you're anywhere near me (CB11 postcode area) you're welcome to come round and we'll try some tests.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the power cycling thing to happen the other day when both charge settings had the same departure time. I saw that, on the car instrument cluster display, at the point where the car started waiting for the timer, very briefly the departure time would flash up, then it would initialise again. I wanted to see which timer the car was waiting for so I changed one of the timer's dep. times. When I tried a timed charge, this time it worked! Well, at least as far as initialising then getting to the 'waiting for timer...' stage; I didn't go through a whole cycle including charging.
I also got it to work (up to the point where it was waiting for the timer) for a basic timer with all advanced timers deleted.
I do need to do a bit more testing...
Nope. Still not working properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the power cycling thing to happen the other day when both charge settings had the same departure time. I saw that, on the car instrument cluster display, at the point where the car started waiting for the timer, very briefly the departure time would flash up, then it would initialise again. I wanted to see which timer the car was waiting for so I changed one of the timer's dep. times. When I tried a timed charge, this time it worked! Well, at least as far as initialising then getting to the 'waiting for timer...' stage; I didn't go through a whole cycle including charging.
I also got it to work (up to the point where it was waiting for the timer) for a basic timer with all advanced timers deleted.
I do need to do a bit more testing...
Nope. Still not working properly.
I have the same problem with the pod-point just cycling whilst on timer (flashes white for about 10 times and one little green and clicks and starts again). Even worse now is the climate control doesn’t come on in the morning (big pain now is starting to get frosty). Like you my problem is on the pod-point when the car is on timer. It appears there is no initialisation for the communication between car and charger. Note the car works perfectly on the non pod points of my friends/ neighbours!

Did you get any resolution to the problem ? How did you fix it ? Pod-Point are telling me it is a known issue with no solution today (that just great given pod point are the recommended supplier for Audi !!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd like to hang on a bit as the matter has developed since then. I hope to be able to clarify it a bit more in maybe a week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some developments...
Steggs, TM79 and I talked with Pod Point who knew about the issue their chargers were having with e-trons - the cycling when trying to do a timed charge. I'd say I got reasonably good service from them although some people who I talked to were more knowledgeable about this than others - guess that's a WFH thing. Sometime around late October they had an update ready and pushed it out to our chargers.
TM79's e-tron worked perfectly after this. Steggs's and my e-trons didn't and actually kind of broke...
  • At the MMI screen where you select target charge level, the selected level would always flip back to 50 after attempting to change it
  • Whenever charged, the car would always charge to 100%
  • Timed charging didn't work - it always charged as soon as plugged in. Previously, the car would do timed charges properly on non-Pod Point chargers.
I contacted an Audi main dealer who were very helpful and knew of a bulletin about the problem. I dropped the car off with them and got a 55 e-tron loaner which worked perfectly well with my Pod Point charger - it did timed charges OK and worked with the location based charging. After a short time I got my car back, it's been fixed and now charges properly as it should.
It's likely that Pod Point are aware their update caused problems and are not issuing it anymore.

·
Registered
2021 Audi E-tron Sportback Prestige
24 Posts
I finally got scheduled charging to work. I was mistakenly pushing the on off icon on the right after turning car off. You actually have to press the left side and the icon turns red. Again as stated previously make sure you set departure time late enough so it has time to charge. Turn off car and click the left icon on the line that pops up on MMI after car turned off. It should highlight with red line. Plug in and lock. Green light flashes on and off signifying schedule is set. This light eventually stopped flashing and this morning the charging resumed and completed at the time set.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I find when using the timer that the car finishes charging at least a full hour before the set departure time. Is that typical for everyone?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ours is pretty much spot on. I've been watching it closely since the fault was fixed. This is what it did on Saturday when I requested it to be ready for the wife at 0910h.

The first big block is it charging in the preferred time window from 0030h to 0425h. It didn't get to 80% so it started again around 0815h. By 0910h I looked and it was at 78% - just a bit short - but that's not too bad, I think.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
149 Posts
Just for anyone interested (or anyone who would like to correct me) I'm on the Octopus Go tariff (reduced rate 00:30 to 04:30).

Setting the car up to charge only within this time has been a minor struggle. As covered already departure timer must be set in addition to the schedule in the advanced settings.

What I noticed was the car beginning the charge prior to the 00:30 start time I'd set. I think @LSB777 touches on this:

Just work backwards how many hours at roughly 10% per hour for 7kW charger. Its fiddly but works as long as you remember to flick to timed mode on app when plugged in.
My dumb box charger maxes out at 3.6kW so the 4 hours won't deliver much of a charge. I was setting the target to 80%. When SOC was low at ~29% the car would commence charging at 23:00.
I have a suspicion its because there is no way the car can reach 80% from 29% with just 3.6kW rate.

Keeping the target range at an achievable setting for the 4hour time period looks to have sorted the issue out. i.e. I should have set the target to 50% when my start SOC was 29%.

Haven't seen this mentioned explicitly. Not sure if its even correct!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just for anyone interested (or anyone who would like to correct me) I'm on the Octopus Go tariff (reduced rate 00:30 to 04:30).

Setting the car up to charge only within this time has been a minor struggle. As covered already departure timer must be set in addition to the schedule in the advanced settings.

What I noticed was the car beginning the charge prior to the 00:30 start time I'd set. I think @LSB777 touches on this:

My dumb box charger maxes out at 3.6kW so the 4 hours won't deliver much of a charge. I was setting the target to 80%. When SOC was low at ~29% the car would commence charging at 23:00.
I have a suspicion its because there is no way the car can reach 80% from 29% with just 3.6kW rate.

Keeping the target range at an achievable setting for the 4hour time period looks to have sorted the issue out. i.e. I should have set the target to 50% when my start SOC was 29%.

Haven't seen this mentioned explicitly. Not sure if its even correct!
Spot on mate. Depending on the speed of your charger, you have to fiddle about working out how much you can get crammed into 4 hours. Luckily mine is about 6.6kW according to Audi app so I try and do a couple of days getting 40% approx each time. Might have mentioned this before but if you have the e-tron charging service card and free £150 in UK, the rapids at Genie Point are currently not reducing the free balance.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
149 Posts
Spot on mate. Depending on the speed of your charger, you have to fiddle about working out how much you can get crammed into 4 hours. Luckily mine is about 6.6kW according to Audi app so I try and do a couple of days getting 40% approx each time. Might have mentioned this before but if you have the e-tron charging service card and free £150 in UK, the rapids at Genie Point are currently not reducing the free balance.
Cheers and great tip re: GeniePoint. I'll be cramming approx 25% each night then. Which is fine of course and ridiculous value once its set up correctly.

Chrisechild, what departure time are you setting the car to?
Departure time is 04:30. Same as the finish time of the scheduled period. I had it set to 7am as a default - alongside the 00:30-04:30 schedule but the charger would start immediately. I did have the target set to 100% though so maybe that could have triggered the immediate charge (from SOC 29%).

Once the departure was set to 04:30 and target % set to an achievable level, all worked fine. Any ideas why any of this works in this wa :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another way of ensuring you only charge in the cheap time is to set up the preferred period as you have but then set the departure time to be far into the next day - say 17:00. The car will take all of the four hours of Go cheap tariff then pause. When you wake up, the car is unlikely to have started its second spell of charging to reach target and you can interrupt it. This maximises the amount of cheap electricity taken and maximises SOC without having to do any target calculations and adjustment before charging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cheers and great tip re: GeniePoint. I'll be cramming approx 25% each night then. Which is fine of course and ridiculous value once its set up correctly.

Departure time is 04:30. Same as the finish time of the scheduled period. I had it set to 7am as a default - alongside the 00:30-04:30 schedule but the charger would start immediately. I did have the target set to 100% though so maybe that could have triggered the immediate charge (from SOC 29%).

Once the departure was set to 04:30 and target % set to an achievable level, all worked fine. Any ideas why any of this works in this wa :)
Hope your local Genie Point works for free also. Make sure you check your remaining free Audi allowance after using. It'll obviously stop at some point, but my balance has never dropped yet. Only money knocked off was using an InstaVolt in Eastbourne.

The timer thing is awkward. I usually forget to switch to timer mode as it starts automatically & costs me more! Sounds like you're doing the same as me now, departure time 04:30 and adjust the required SoC.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
149 Posts
@pressurized that sounds ace. I will give it a whirl when I have the car back. I'm currently running around in a Corsa as my etron is in for minor repairs following a bump.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@pressurized that sounds ace. I will give it a whirl when I have the car back. I'm currently running around in a Corsa as my etron is in for minor repairs following a bump.
Worth a try. I've not managed to get the location based time frame charging to work. Might try tomorrow night, too cold to go out to the garage now! Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All,

I'm going to switch to Octopus as my utility provider as Simplicity has went bust and i've no exit fees.
I'll be moving to the Go tariff once i get a smart meter installed.
Would anyone care to share their referral code, then we can both benefit from £50.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 48 Posts