Audi E-Tron Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The harder (read: higher amperage) you drive into the battery the more it will decay in terms of capacity. So just like a ICE car battery trickle charger, less is more in terms of pack longevity. Unless you are really fooling around we find we can get by using 50% almost all the time unless we only have a short time between needing to top up.

We’ve also readjusted to just letting it deplete somewhat and not charging fully (or even 80%) every night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
we find we can get by using 50% almost all the time unless we only have a short time between needing to top up.
Same, I plug in at 50% power every few days. Car is up to 80% at least a couple hours before I'm awake in the morning :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
howdy all!

New e-tron owner here - when i charge to 100% ( which it sounds like i shouldn't ), i only see a range of 175 miles. Shouldn't i get at least 200 showing? And why only charge to 80% if audi already limited the battery usage to 80-85%?

thx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy!

The range indicated is based largely on recent driving. If you are seeing that straight from the dealer it'll be low because the only driving the car has done has been in/out of cargo containers and test drives; less than ideal for range, haha.

As far as the 80% charge recommendation from Audi, the following article explains why that would be beneficial for the car:
https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/
According to several sources the e-tron has amazing liquid cooling and battery management, but the further you stay from the extreme ends of SoC, the better for the battery life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
interesting. ok, up to about 200 miles driven on it, but i've only seen the range goto 175 after a full charge. and thx for the battery info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
H
Hey chrisjenx thanks for the tip about needing the long press to get from 50% to 100% when using the compact charger.

Why would it default to 50%? Wouldn't everyone want to charge at full power?

Is there any problem with charging at 100%?

I asked Audi Downtown Toronto dealership and they didn't know what I was talking about.
Thanks
Has to do with draw on house current. If you have a lot of devices vying for limited amount of energy, may not want 100% draw all the time. Not sure but 50% draws about 5.5 amps(?) and 100% draws 11 amps (or is it kw).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts