Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my eTron yesterday. I have a Tesla Model 3 as well. Both Model 3 and eTron allegedly have 11kW onboard charger. When I charge my Model 3 at my work (Chargepoint at 6.13kW), I get about 24 miles per hour. However, my eTron only gets about 12 miles per hour. Anyone know why eTron only gets about half the miles as Model 3?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It takes more kWh's per mile for the etron.
I believe the eTron USES more kWh per mile, but that doesn’t mean charge rate should necessarily be slower. Are you using the same charger? If you’re using the eTron charger, I’ve heard it has a 100% option and a 50% option. That might account for the difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe the eTron USES more kWh per mile, but that doesn’t mean charge rate should necessarily be slower. Are you using the same charger? If you’re using the eTron charger, I’ve heard it has a 100% option and a 50% option. That might account for the difference.
It means that the charge rate may be the exact same, but the number of miles per hour gained would be less. "Miles per hour" of charge isn't a measurement of how much power is making it into the battery. It takes the amount of power that's coming in and filters it through the GOM.

Also worth keeping in mind that the tesla GOM is notoriously optomistic

·
Registered
38 Posts
It means that the charge rate may be the exact same, but the number of miles per hour gained would be less. "Miles per hour" of charge isn't a measurement of how much power is making it into the battery. It takes the amount of power that's coming in and filters it through the GOM.

Also worth keeping in mind that the tesla GOM is notoriously optomistic
True, but the kWh per mile is not twice as much. Maybe 1/3 more, isn’t it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
True, but the kWh per mile is not twice as much.
Depends on if we're talking real world or epa ratings. Model 3 is rated at about 4 miles/kwh, and the tesla GOM uses the epa rating rather than what the car actually does for its estimates.

An etron, especially in winter, getting around 2 miles/kwh isn't surprising at all, so having it show twice as much on the model 3 isn't shocking. That's not to say it's actually getting twice as much though.

Teslas are the worst in the industry for actually getting anywhere near what they're rated at.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
It all boils down to kWh charged - you're getting the same amount of energy in, it just may be used less or more efficiently. I hate GOM and even more when people trust it blindly. It is a guesstimate, nothing more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can be wrong since I haven't got an e-tron yet but isn't the onboard charger on the e-tron (2019) 9.6 KW not 11 That could explain a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a minute.....the wall unit is an "EVSE" or controller of current , not a "charger" so the charger resides in the vehicle. However the wall unit allows varying degrees of current depending on it's rating and the amperage it is plugged into (ie 50, 40,or 30 amp 240 volt source )

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just a minute.....the wall unit is an "EVSE" or controller of current , not a "charger" so the charger resides in the vehicle. However the wall unit allows varying degrees of current depending on it's rating and the amperage it is plugged into (ie 50, 40,or 30 amp 240 volt source )
Well, OK, yes, the wall unit isn't doing the actual charging. The point I was trying to make was that if you're using an evse that caps the power at 6kW because it is current limiting, the on board charger being capable of a higher charging rate is irrelevant.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
I just got my eTron yesterday. I have a Tesla Model 3 as well. Both Model 3 and eTron allegedly have 11kW onboard charger. When I charge my Model 3 at my work (Chargepoint at 6.13kW), I get about 24 miles per hour. However, my eTron only gets about 12 miles per hour. Anyone know why eTron only gets about half the miles as Model 3?
Is your etron's average consumption about 2.0 - 2.2m/kWh? If so then the 12 miles per hour is legit (6kW x 2.0).

Your Tesla may calculate mph differently to Audi as others have said. It may charge more efficiently (fewer losses) or less efficiently, but 24mph suggests efficiency of 3.8-4.0m/kWh which is about right.

Seems to me all is well and you are witnessing the thirst of the etron :)

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Is your etron's average consumption about 2.0 - 2.2m/kWh
How the heck does one drive to get into 2 m/kWh range? I must be really driving like an old lady (no offense to old ladies in here). A morning drive to my local dealership to take care of my SOS module problem. 50 mph average speed, with little traffic on the road ... Last time I saw 2.0 m/kWh was when I was in a hurry and was keeping the car at 90-95 mph on motorway (not exactly legal speed, I know).

eems to me all is well and you are witnessing the thirst of the etron
It is thirsty because you can just press deeper and will accommodate. Audi could have easily put some limiters or make it into 7-8 second to 60 car and it would not be that thirsty. Same with ICE Q5 I have. I can drive it like a maniac around, it does have the oomph to do so. I will get to work the whole minute or two earlier, and so what? The power is there, it does not mean it can be used and keep good gas mileage at the same time. There is no free lunch.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Call me bourgeois.
I call it "eTron spoilt" and similar to you, I do not mind. Even at the 2.0 m/kWh, I am way better off compared to ICE-anything, hybrids included. The added style and comfort just make it so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Right. I do 99% of my charging at home where I pay extra on my electric bill to cover the cost of "100% green energy", so basically I get a 99% green car for which I pay a little extra to get excellent fit and finish and comfort.

Getting the Etron was entirely a triangular rationalization: range--just good enough for my habits; comfort/fit-finish--top notch; efficiency--not so great, but I can make it green and still be affordable.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Funny story, to date, I have used commercial charger just once, to try it out and see how it works. The rest is all home charging, and with solar panels, 100% of home charging is offset from panels. I have plenty generated and in the "bank" for the use in winter where solar efficiency drops substantially. It kind of does work nice and does not (by far) make me feel bad for not going with the more "efficient" Tesla.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts