Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2022 GT and installed a 240 volt outlet and also have a top of the line ChargePoint charger with 50 amps. However, I can’t get more than 3.5 kw when charging either with Audi supplied charger or Charge Point charger. This results in only .1 miles per minute and over 20 hours. I made sure charger was set to 100% and confirmed getting full power out of outlet. Is this all I can get with a 240 volt outlet even though the car can handle 11 kw? Haven’t tried a fast charger station yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 2022 GT and installed a 240 volt outlet and also have a top of the line ChargePoint charger with 50 amps. However, I can’t get more than 3.5 kw when charging either with Audi supplied charger or Charge Point charger. This results in only .1 miles per minute and over 20 hours. I made sure charger was set to 100% and confirmed getting full power out of outlet. Is this all I can get with a 240 volt outlet even though the car can handle 11 kw? Haven’t tried a fast charger station yet.

I have the ChargePoint Home charge on a 50 amp breaker. I get 8.9 - 9 kw when charging. Make sure your ChargePoint is set up for a 50 amp service plug-in, in the app.

I have not used the Audi charger on this plug since it was installed, so I cannot help you there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the ChargePoint Home charge on a 50 amp. I get 8.9 - 9 kw when charging. Make sure your ChargePoint is set up for a 50 amp service plug-in, in the app.

I have not used the Audi charger on this plug since it was installed, so I cannot help you there.
Thanks for the feedback. Have it set to 50 amp in the app so good there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Chargepoint Home Flex hardwired on a 60 Amp breaker and get 11 kw. Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful advice to offer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the Audi charger it ships set at 50% which will only give you 3.5KW, press the button on front until it switches to 100% and try.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can triangulate the problem by going to a public L2 charger with known power (usually 7.2 Kw)
this should give you about 6 kw into your audi

if you get that power at the public charger, then you have a problem with your home setup, otherwise it is a problem with your car

·
Registered
144 Posts
What is the amp of the breaker? I realize its a 240v plug, but curious what is at the breaker?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my ChargePoint Flex and the etron -- it was only pulling 3.5 kW, even though I had a 50 amp circuit in the breaker and had hardwired the ChargePoint with 40 amp input. I tried rebooting using the app, and it did nothing. Finally, I was able to resolve the problem simply by turning it off and back on at the breaker. Then I used the app to (again) select the proper amperage settings. Now I am getting 8.4 kW -- much better.

·
Registered
eTron GT
19 Posts
Hello;

Are there specific advantages to the ChargePoint unit vs. the one provided by Audi? I am using the Audi unit, seems to work fine, but I am not sure if I am missing anything.

Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 40A plug-in JuicePoint for my 55 (SUV), which is similar to the ChargePoint. There are some potential advantages to using a Wi-Fi enabled "smart" EVSE instead of the Audi EVSE supplied with the vehicle:
  1. You can leave the Audi EVSE in the car in case you need it to charge somewhere else without the hassle of unloading and loading it.
  2. The charging cable (23' ChargePoint or 25' JuicePoint) is longer than the one on the Audi EVSE. This was my primary reason for purchasing a JuicePoint.
  3. You can install a hardwired 48A JuicePoint or 50A ChargePoint EVSE for charging that's a little faster than the 40A Audi EVSE.
  4. If you buy a plug-in EVSE rated for a maximum of 40A, you can install a 14-50 outlet that will accept the Audi EVSE as well for redundancy in case either EVSE fails.
  5. The smart EVSE app gives you a history of power consumed and real-time charging data.
  6. You have a second method to schedule charging other than via the myAudi app.
  7. If you don't have a 50A or 60A circuit, the smart EVSE will allow you to downgrade the maximum power setting with more flexibility than the Audi EVSE's 50% or 100% settings, which may allow for faster charging.
Keep in mind that no matter how smart the EVSE is, it shares only basic information with the vehicle (unlike DC charging stations which share more detailed information). So the EVSE does not know anything about the vehicle's state of charge (SOC). You have to use the myAudi app or MMI to get that data. The best the EVSE can do is estimate the SOC if you tell it what the SOC was at the beginning of the charge session and input some information about the vehicle. Together, the myAudi app and the smart EVSE app give you plenty of information, but separately they are both missing some of the data.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hello;

Are there specific advantages to the ChargePoint unit vs. the one provided by Audi? I am using the Audi unit, seems to work fine, but I am not sure if I am missing anything.

Thank you!
I've used the Audi EVSE since I got my Etron SUV in Nov 2019. Once I learned how to use the timer, etc., it has worked perfectly fine. At first I thought the timer quirkiness was frustrating, but now I appreciate how it plays to the best advantages of maximizing mileage.

1) I generally leave the EVSE in the garage, but if I'm taking a trip--it's a plug in. I unplug it and toss it in the frunk. I see no reason for a perfectly good charger that I paid for to just rot in the frunk.

2) Cable length can be an issue. In fact, in my case, I lay my EVSE flat on a small table, because if I wall mounted it, I could not reach the charging port (when buying my car I was really disappointed to learn that in the US 2019 version there would be only one charging port on the drivers side!)

3) Hardwiring for 50A+ charging gives you maybe a 15% increase in charging speed compared with the EVSE--not worth the trouble, combined with the loss in flexibility.

4) The big advantage for a Brand Charger Unit, which does not apply to my situation, is for some of the "Off Peak" rate programs some Utilities offer. Some of those are "smart" and require a wifi connection to the charging unit. Some may require a little more programming flexibility.

·
Registered
eTron GT
19 Posts
Thank you for the explanations. I had a 50-amp circuit installed, thus far it has worked well with the Audi mobile charger, pulling in at about 8.8-9.1 kWh rate.

I purchased the wall mount unit, which was unreasonably expensive at $310. That is when I thought I should maybe pay a little more and buy the ChargePoint unit. In the end it worked out well. Cable length has not been an issue in our smallish garage (only 440 sq-ft). Charging at home has been easy. The only thing I haven't had much luck with is the timer settings, which is not that bothersome or urgent at this time for me. Eventually, I'll find the time to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thank you for the explanations. I had a 50-amp circuit installed, thus far it has worked well with the Audi mobile charger, pulling in at about 8.8-9.1 kWh rate.

I purchased the wall mount unit, which was unreasonably expensive at $310. That is when I thought I should maybe pay a little more and buy the ChargePoint unit. In the end it worked out well. Cable length has not been an issue in our smallish garage (only 440 sq-ft). Charging at home has been easy. The only thing I haven't had much luck with is the timer settings, which is not that bothersome or urgent at this time for me. Eventually, I'll find the time to deal with it.
Just a little heads up about when you start dealing with the Timer. I think a large number of people initially miss this (me included). When you get a timer all set up and "enable" it in the MyAudi app by moving the button to the right, be aware that action DOES NOT activate the timer, it only "enables" it. When you turn off the car the Shut Down screen appears. In it you will see a list of the most relevant "enabled" timers (based on the date and time). Only those timers that you have "enabled" in the MyAudi app will appear. To ACTUALLY USE the timer, you need to press the icon to the left of the desired timer until a red bar appears. Now the Timer is ACTIVATED and the car will use it.

·
Registered
eTron GT
19 Posts
Just a little heads up about when you start dealing with the Timer. I think a large number of people initially miss this (me included). When you get a timer all set up and "enable" it in the MyAudi app by moving the button to the right, be aware that action DOES NOT activate the timer, it only "enables" it. When you turn off the car the Shut Down screen appears. In it you will see a list of the most relevant "enabled" timers (based on the date and time). Only those timers that you have "enabled" in the MyAudi app will appear. To ACTUALLY USE the timer, you need to press the icon to the left of the desired timer until a red bar appears. Now the Timer is ACTIVATED and the car will use it.
Thank you very much for the guidance. I will certainly try to pay attention to this and give it a try.

Thank you once again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts