Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Apologies - was meant to also reply with a serious response but got stuck on a work call.

The Audi timer both in the car and in the App appear to only allow you to set an 'end time' for the charging - ie what time you want the car ready for and it will then work out when to start the charging so that it is completed by the time you have set it for.

If you are on a reduced rate for certain times then this could be an issue, so most people I have seen use the app / timer for the particular charger they gave - ie podpoint - or within an app of their electricity supplier.

I always use the timer in the app - however I am not on any particular timed rates for electricity so it doesnt matter to me when the car is charged for.

I click the Charge Scheduling icon in the app.
Scroll down to Timer.
Select one of the times.
Set departure time to my leaving time the next morning - 7.30am
turn on the electronic climate control switch then click the x to close out.
I then make sure the switch next to the time I have just set is turned on.
I click send and it sends it to the car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks, I think the only way to do it estimate how much charge you get in 2 hrs and set departure for 4am!
That is not the way to do it.

Set the departure time for whenever you want to depart along with your desired state of charge, press charge - job done!. The car will then automatically take charge during the period you have set up in 'Advanced' for your preferred low rate period (you only have to do it once), in your case 2am to 4am.

If the car calculates that it is unable to reach your desired charge using only power from the 2am to 4am periods it has available then it will also add charge outside that period.

It works really well and is clever enough to use multiple low-rate periods during a single charge if they are available.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just remember you have to activate a charging cycle every day.
You can now set the timer to repeat daily, or select various days

·
Registered
213 Posts
Someone posted that if you tell it you expect to leave in say 6 days wk it does not dip into hours other than 2 to 4am. Otherwise it will. Miser.
That is correct. It will always try and use your preferred charging time (and therefore lowest rate) first. It will only charge outside that window if the total time is not enough to reach your desired charging level.

Clever stuff. :giggle:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Miser here again. Tried that 2-4 am pref time and it didn't work!
I cannot imagine why that is the case, it certainly works for me.

Just to check the obvious that you have geo-tagged your home location and set your preferred low-rate charge time?

If that is set and your required leave day and time is set then hitting the 'charge' button should do it.

Beyond that I can't really see what the problem might be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like most people, I don’t think the software is very good either. It’s clunky and has wierd side effects. I certainly hope it works the way @Chasing Cars suggests.

On my Taycan I can setup either a regular or one off charging departure timer that will do climate and desired level quite easily.

to be clear, I’m only talking about departure timers, not the best time of day to charge. The Porsche software is overly complicated IMHO too, but not at the level of weirdness that Audi is.

I managed to setup a successful charge timer last night for the first time. I wanted 100% by 10am for my wife to go visit her mother. It did that, but only by changing the overall level to 100%. Which is not what I want, because if we forget to put it back to 80% it’ll do that all the time.
Note they I do NOT have ‘advanced charging’ setup, because it’s not location specific. It’s journey specific. So typically 80% charge at home is ok except when I want a one off 100% charge.

For that to work, it seems I need to;
1- set a timer profile - no setting for % just departure time
2 - activate that profile
3 - press the clock thing top left so the red line appears underneath to activate profiles
4 - change the default % for the car I want the next time it charges

note also, that (4) is weird. If I had an advanced profile, with a %, and it’s active, it’s linked to the master. So if I change the master it changes the profile!! Wtf? So I didn’t use that. Adds too much opportunity to screw things Up.

Even weirder, I have a smart Anderson A2 charger. I have this is “dumb” mode. No smart features, because again that’s inviting failure. But look what it recorded overnight.

The Audis departure timer chargewas dropping on and off all night. It shuts off, waits about 5 mins and charges again. What the **** is going on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having similar problem. I have time of day set for HOME to 2005 hours to 1255 hours, the cheapest time for charging. Also set timer to charge by 0700 hours each day. However, when I plug in the charger, it ignores the time day setting and begins immediately charging even outside the HOME hours setting. Timer is on. Anyone else having same issue?
I am having same issue. Once timer set it works for one charge cycle. Then I have to remember to activate the timer again. It's so annoying.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My timer always goes off after one charge cycle. It's so annoying. Is this normal?
Yes, completely normal.

From a user perspective, the system has been designed to ‘charge without intervention’. In other words if you do nothing (except plug it in of course) the car will charge.

This prevents people being left without charge and in general is very successful in achieving this aim. It does however mean that if you want a timed charge you have to intervene in this process. It is that intervention to which you refer. Activating the timer prevents the fall-back position of an immediate charge but when complete the car will revert to ‘charge without intervention’ mode in order that no one is left high and dry without charge.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts