Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why have they made this system so complicated, with the departure timer thing?

Surely the simplest way would be to have a start and stop time. Like we used to do with a VCR timer.

Whenever I try to use the timer (i.e. park up, set timer, plug in) the bloody thing ignores it and starts charging straight away.

I just want to come home after work, park up, plug in and enjoy my evening in the knowledge the car will be charging when the leccy is cheap. Instead I am trawling these forums and youtube.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I agree that a simple start time setup would be more straightforward and you'd think easy to implement. It would certainly make learning how to use the Audi charger easier. However, setting the timer by "departure" time has three benefits:
1) Cabin Preconditioning at Departure time by drawing current from the wall. As implemented you have the option to choose "cabin preconditioning" as part of the timer set up. In this setup once the cabin heating/AC has depleted about 1% of the charge in the battery the battery pulls current from the wall to replenish its SOC. This lets you condition the cabin without having to put a drain on the battery--a BIG plus, especially in really cold climates. You start out with a full battery;
2) Battery Health: while not a major problem, it is unhealthy for the battery to sit fully charged. Setting the timer by Departure Time minimizes the amount of time the battery sits with a full SOC. If you only go to 80%, this is really not much of an issue;
3) Some Preconditioning of the Battery: from sitting outside or in the garage while idle, the temperature of the battery is probably not in the optimal range for efficiency--most likely too cold. The L2 charging process causes some innate heating of the battery. Add to that the periodic "topping off" of the battery performed if the "cabin preconditioning" is chosen, then some conditioning of the battery prior to departure will increase the efficiency of the battery. You would want to do this as close to Departure time as possible to maximize the benefit.

As far as the charger starting right away, are you activating a timer from the Shutdown Screen that appears when you turn off the car? You press the icon for the timer you want to use (a red bar will appear); otherwise, the car will start to charge as soon as you plug it in. For any of the "timed" charging features you want to use, you ALWAYS have to activate a timer.

For me, the biggest complaint is that the "instructions and explanations" for how the charging and timer systems work are absolutely horrible!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The car has the concept of charging profiles based on GPS coordinates. I am using this to control 80% versus 100% charging - I have set it up for 80% at home and 100% elsewhere. I believe you can also add 'charging window' to this profile. That way you can come home, plug in and go away. I don't have have this set up because our electricity rate is not based on time of day.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The charging system is fairly complex but has great and flexible potential.
You can have a simple-to-use solution but need to invest a little time to set it up.
If you have variable rate electricity, you need to set up your home as a location with the preferred charging period. From then on the car automatically uses it when told to do a timed charge when it's at that location.
If you then want to forego the setting up of timed departure but instead generally maximise charging in the cheap time you should simply set up one timer to finish when the cheap rate does.
Once the above is done, all you must remember to do is activate timer mode after switching off the car but before opening the door. You press the clock-like icon to the left of the displayed timer row to get a red bar to appear above it. Possibly regrettably, you must do this on every day before you want the car to do a timed charge.

After becoming comfortable with this, you may want to progress to more advanced tricks like setting a departure time with aux-air con - this will help in a British winter but is less relevant in the spring to autumn.

Should you insist on totally restricting the car to charge at cheap rate, even if the cheap rate period isn't long enough to always recharge the car, set a departure time well into the next day so that the car never gets the chance to precondition on shore power as you'll have unplugged it before then.
This strategy will also be achieved by setting the PodPoint charger that you probably got with the car to only supply electricity during the cheap time. In this case, don't set up any car-based timer options; just plug the car in and let the charger do the thinking.

For each one of the more advanced options you employ, you have to do a little more thinking and working out to see if it's appropriate for the moment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pressurized is right, the timing system is quite complex but it is also very clever. It is well worth the effort of trying to understand it in order to benefit from it's more advanced features.

Surely the simplest way would be to have a start and stop time. Like we used to do with a VCR timer.
You may have forgotten how often we missed recordings with the old VCR timers! The design of the Audi system is much more clever than those systems ever were. It really is very difficult to make a mistake with the E-tron that leaves you without charge.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
I think something isn't quite right with the scheduled charge timer feature atm. I was watching the app as the clock passed 00:30 and the timer didn't start.

The target soc was slightly higher than what was achievable in the 4 hour schedule (so it needed to start charging right away) and yet it didn't start.

I watched for 20 minutes before overriding and commencing the charge manually.

I've also seen the scheduler missing the target by 1-3% too, even though the target soc was easily acheiveable (e.g adding 10% in 4 hours).

It could be an issue with my charger or car or app but seeing the recent spike in confused posts on here I think something has either changed in how it works or there's a new bug in the system. I'll report it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The target soc was slightly higher than what was achievable in the 4 hour schedule (so it needed to start charging right away) and yet it didn't start.
If you have a timed charge finishing after the cheap period - i.e. when you (ideally) plan to drive the car - the car will leave a bit of ullage in the battery so that it can do a last bit of charging just before the timed charge finishes so the battery is warmed for departure. At least this is what I've observed and I am assuming that this is the reason why. Also, the car always charges as late as possible so, even if it computes it'll charge fully in cheap time, it starts charging aiming to finish charging at the end of cheap time.
So, if the car's departure time is not known and the weather is mild, I have a specific timer to end charging at the same time as cheap time ends.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
Ah thanks @pressurized . The timer is set far in to the next day to prevent the charging session from kicking in before the scheduled window. It seemed to be contributing to that issue and others had recommended that setting.

I'll amend it to the end of the charge window and see what happens.

With respect to the late as possible comment yes I've observed that too, which is fine of course if the target is easily achievable. The recent example where it didn't commence charging despite the ambitious taget soc is a concern. Maybe a one-off glitch or something I'd done wrong? Will try again later.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
@pressurized I tried again, this time setting the timer to 04:30, the same time as the end of the schedule. In addition the target was acheiveable in under the 4 hour window.

The charge commenced fine and finished on time but didn't reach the 80% target. The car says it has 79% :rolleyes: but the positive is that setting the timer to the end of the window didn't have a negative effect so thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
Yea its not too bad. I've reported to Audi the previous issue whereby the charge didn't start on time but they've asked me to reproduce it and send screenshots timestamps etc. Fun times ahead!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, mine often does the same thing. Did it this morning. It's tolerable.
I think many are doing the same thing. Mine does it too. But during the last charge, mine went back to the 5 minute charge cycle where the car actually gets to 80% drops to 79% and charging resumes until 80%, then goes back to 79%. Rinse & repeat. This causes the endless 5 minute app updates 'charging complete'.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont understand how the timers work on the charging. How does the car know how much KW my wall plug can output? I know that the car requests the pilot tone from the charger to determine the current. is there a way to turn off all the timers and just have the car charge to determined level that you select in the car, whenever I plug in?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Also did this on mine too - one time I had set to charge to 80% - told it was complete and looked and it was 79%. Following day asked for 100% (as expected to use car a lot next day) and it said complete at 99% - never did get 100% charge that time.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I dont understand how the timers work on the charging. How does the car know how much KW my wall plug can output? I know that the car requests the pilot tone from the charger to determine the current. is there a way to turn off all the timers and just have the car charge to determined level that you select in the car, whenever I plug in?
If you dont have a cheap rate period what about just plugging in and let it charge up, but set climate control to be done by a certain time :D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you dont have a cheap rate period what about just plugging in and let it charge up, but set climate control to be done by a certain time :D
If the charging and cabin conditioning are set up separately, then the climate control action will deplete the battery a little.

If the cabin conditioning is set up as part of a timer (which is linked to a Departure time), then the car will replenish the battery for the charge lost due to the conditioning. Thus, at departure time you will have a conditioned cabin and a full battery.

None of the separate, independent, cabin conditioning options allow for the battery to be replenished, even if the car is plugged in.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If the charging and cabin conditioning are set up separately, then the climate control action will deplete the battery a little.

If the cabin conditioning is set up as part of a timer (which is linked to a Departure time), then the car will replenish the battery for the charge lost due to the conditioning. Thus, at departure time you will have a conditioned cabin and a full battery.

None of the separate, independent, cabin conditioning options allow for the battery to be replenished, even if the car is plugged in.
Oh strange - I tried this the other day, plugged in when I got home one afternoon, so car charged to 80% that afternoon / evening (well 79 actually) and my car then drew a further 2.1 kWh (according to my podpoint readings) when the conditioning was on for the following morning and car was at 79% still when I got in.

I will check settings and rerun this "experiment" when I get chance.

Reactions: pressurized

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Oh strange - I tried this the other day, plugged in when I got home one afternoon, so car charged to 80% that afternoon / evening (well 79 actually) and my car then drew a further 2.1 kWh (according to my podpoint readings) when the conditioning was on for the following morning and car was at 79% still when I got in.

I will check settings and rerun this "experiment" when I get chance.
Interesting. I am using the Audi provided charger, so I don't know if the podpoint might do things differently. The timer/conditioning requirement was what I was told when I first got my car and everything I have read has been consistent with that. So you stopped the car, activated a "conditioning" timer through the MMI shutdown screen, got out and plugged in the car for an immediate charge. Then, the car simply sat until the conditioning timer activated? Looking forward to hearing the results of your experiment. Isn't it sad that we have to run experiments to see what features can do?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got out the car, plugged the car in to charge up (it started straight away) and went in the house and set the timer for the pre conditioning on the my.audi app on my phone.

Unfortunately I'm not likely to be charging the car for a few days and we are then away a week but I will do a 'test' again the following week when we are back.

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
I've just had a very frustrating 15 minutes in the rain plugging in the car and setting timers etc. I had everything set up perfectly wrt scheduled timer from the car's MMI...

But the car refused to obey the instruction and just started charging as soon as I plugged in.

I checked the mobile phone connection to the car and aha! I was only connected via Bluetooth. Not wifi. My wifi wasn't connecting to the car (I had recently wiped my wifi settings on my phone). Entered wifi password, connected, tried the exact same steps again and voila! Charger is plugged in AND WAITING FOR TIMER!

Relieved. So this experience tells me the car will not obey the schedule without checking in with the myaudi connected mobile app/phone via wifi. Or perhaps because I'd not connected via wifi for a while something was out of sync.

I can confirm throughout this process the myaudi app was receiving updates from the car as the timer changes were reflected in the app as I made the changes in the car. But it seems there needs to be a presence over wifi to the phone for it to really work.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts