Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Back when I got the car in September I was frustrated by its inability to remember favourites in navigation. It was sorted by making sure the car was logged into myAudi. Everything was fine until recently when, a couple of times, I've found the favourites were gone and I had to log the car in again. Perhaps some update to the car / myAudi / app software has caused this problem which is also appearing in your charging issue?
With systems this complex and linked, it's difficult to diagnose the fundamental problem but ensuring the car's logged in too may help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Timer Charging Does not Work. I'm given up trying.

Actually the timer is nice to have but is NOT necessary.

Some background - I'm using Myaudi app version 4.2.1 and while it has some minor bugs
which I have documented in their app review they do not impair the timer charging capability.
Both the app and the 2021 e-tron are in sync to charge to 80% between 7pm and 7am (cheaper electric rates) and show as timer set and active including the red bar when shutting down. Regardless the vehicle starts charging immediately (that is before 7pm) and well before the time required to charge to 80%.

My solution is to just plug in at 7pm and let the vehicle charge even if right away as it obviously will reach 80% well before 7am. During spring/summer/fall this not a concern for climate control as that can set separately to reach the desired cabin temperature for the departure time.

As an aside I have both the Audi and a Grizzl-e EVSE but prefer the latter as the premium cables on the Grizzl-e are more robust in handling the 40 amp power my electrical system can provide.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got the timer to work in the beginning but now, since I got it back from the repair, it starts charging as soon as I plug it in. I’ve deleted the timers and reset them but they still don’t work.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

Actually the timer is nice to have but is NOT necessary.

Some background - I'm using Myaudi app version 4.2.1 and while it has some minor bugs
which I have documented in their app review they do not impair the timer charging capability.
Both the app and the 2021 e-tron are in sync to charge to 80% between 7pm and 7am (cheaper electric rates) and show as timer set and active including the red bar when shutting down. Regardless the vehicle starts charging immediately (that is before 7pm) and well before the time required to charge to 80%.

My solution is to just plug in at 7pm and let the vehicle charge even if right away as it obviously will reach 80% well before 7am. During spring/summer/fall this not a concern for climate control as that can set separately to reach the desired cabin temperature for the departure time.

As an aside I have both the Audi and a Grizzl-e EVSE but prefer the latter as the premium cables on the Grizzl-e are more robust in handling the 40 amp power my electrical system can provide.
Ganted, the charger timer seems less than straightforward, but there is a logic to the maddness. By being able to set a timer by Departure Time, and including cabin conditioning, the battery completes charging about an hour for your departure. The small amount of heating due to the charging helps condition the battery a little by warming it, while the same time the cabin gets conditioned by using power pulled from the wall (via the battery), rather than draining the battery. Thus, at departure time you leave with a somewhat optimized battery and a cabin that is at the temperature you desire. In winter, I find that saves me about 15 or so miles. Lastly, if you charge to 100%, it minimizes the amount of time the battery sits fully charged....not particularly healthy for the battery.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got the timer to work in the beginning but now, since I got it back from the repair, it starts charging as soon as I plug it in. I’ve deleted the timers and reset them but they still don’t work.
I had this problem (or one with the same symptoms) a couple of weeks ago. The car's sorted itself out now. In between now and then I deleted and recreated not only all of the timers but all of the charging locations too (actually I recreated only the one for my home - the others were superfluous). I do not know if what I did cured the problem, I did the things without rigorous troubleshooting.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
It sounds like you know the quirks of the system. I was having similar issues and almost gave up. Are you connecting your phone to the car wifi on a regular basis? This was my issue. Had the same frustrations as you until I realised I'd not connected to the car's wifi in a while and once I did that, everything fell into place.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
70 Posts
Ganted, the charger timer seems less than straightforward, but there is a logic to the maddness. By being able to set a timer by Departure Time, and including cabin conditioning, the battery completes charging about an hour for your departure. The small amount of heating due to the charging helps condition the battery a little by warming it, while the same time the cabin gets conditioned by using power pulled from the wall (via the battery), rather than draining the battery. Thus, at departure time you leave with a somewhat optimized battery and a cabin that is at the temperature you desire. In winter, I find that saves me about 15 or so miles. Lastly, if you charge to 100%, it minimizes the amount of time the battery sits fully charged....not particularly healthy for the battery.
Getting into a warm car ready to go on a cold morning is a joy.

One other point is that most places the peak load on the electrical system is in early evening. By avoiding the peak time you are being a better citizen of the electrical grid.
Some places you even get a cheaper rate for doing so.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can’t get my car to use the timer feature, it starts charging as soon as you plug in. What’s odd is that it is running the climate system each morning even though I have turned off the departure timer and the home portion does not have a climate setting. I figured that out as the battery level and range was showing lower each morning. I charge about once a week and have been trying to just use a timer for that day. I deleted all the settings in the App and the car and then set up in the car. Once I launch the App it looks good. I locked the vehicle then plugged in the car, waited a bit and it started charging. Even though I have the home timer set for 11pm-5am.

I am going to delete the App and set it up again. I had to do that before when I couldn’t get things to work and it resolved the issue. If it still has issues, I’ll setup an appointment to take It in to be checked.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
@Waynerm002 is your phone connecting to the car directly via the car's wifi network on a regular basis? Or are you only connecting with the car to change settings via the app, over a mobile network?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mobile network normally. Tonight, I sat in the car, powered it on so it would connect to the car and did the changes there. Once the car is off, I don’t see the WiFi network, I just use the mobile connection at that poimt.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
Yea powered off the wifi is shut down. If you're connecting to the wifi then that rules out the issue I experienced. And not necessarily just to make the settings changes, by connecting to the car's wifi it synchronises your phone and car. Everytime you enter the car thereafter your phone should connect over the cars wifi. You might receive a connection notification telling you it has connected and are receiving all the benefits of the connected service (or something).

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can’t get my car to use the timer feature, it starts charging as soon as you plug in. What’s odd is that it is running the climate system each morning even though I have turned off the departure timer and the home portion does not have a climate setting. I figured that out as the battery level and range was showing lower each morning. I charge about once a week and have been trying to just use a timer for that day. I deleted all the settings in the App and the car and then set up in the car. Once I launch the App it looks good. I locked the vehicle then plugged in the car, waited a bit and it started charging. Even though I have the home timer set for 11pm-5am.

I am going to delete the App and set it up again. I had to do that before when I couldn’t get things to work and it resolved the issue. If it still has issues, I’ll setup an appointment to take It in to be checked.

I think that you should forget the app for the moment and make sure that you can set charging up the way you want it in the car then when you are certain that all is ok - go back to the app.

When you set the timer, is the little thermometer in the MMI set red when the timer is set?

Is the main timer set red?

·
Registered
248 Posts
On mine, I can’t move the switch to on unless the red icon is on. With only the Home timer set, I can turn that on and off. If I activate one of the timers, I will get a number at the bottom to tell me which timer is active. I tested that last night after I had deleted the App from all my devices. I only reinstalled it on my phone after all the tested failed to get it to work as planned. I had the charge cable plugged in, then unplugged as I did this, neither way allows it to work. In the App, you can switch from Timer to Immediate charging, setting timer mode doesn’t stop it an leave it to run later, as it used to do. I think something got messed up when they fixed the damaged valve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think Chasing Cars may the solution.

Forget the app - do all the charging setup in the car.

Set departure time with both climate icon in red and timer switch on. When shutting off the car before exiting make sure time icon is lit in red that Chasing Cars showed in his pic.

Plug in immediately - unless you are too close to your departure time the vehicle should recognize the connection but then go into standby (no light).

I just tested this which reflected the above but will verify tomorrow morning where I should find the vehicle charged to 80% and the climate control setting temp achieving the desired level.

As I mention in a previous thread the latest release of the myaudi app v4.2.1 a month ago had numerous bugs and obviously the timer portion does not sync properly with the vehicle. Hopefully all these will be corrected in an upcoming update.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This used to work, it stopped after the repair. I’ve had a few weeks now to play around with it and it is still not working correctly. Things had issues after the big software update but started working again until the charging issue with the car, now after the repair, it’s gone again. Possibly one of the software update the dealer performed during the repair caused this to stop functioning.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
277 Posts
Yes forget the app if you're certain its some other cause..in my experience and some other's too, the app/mobile device, car and central servers can become out of sync. When this happens settings made in car will not be respected by the central server unless there's a connected mobile device*.

Easy thing to rule out. Connect your mobile device to your car's wifi once and then forget (it should then connect via wifi everytime you get in and drive). The wifi connection may have been wiped by the dealer/update.

If it doesn't improve things at least it's ruled out. I was losing my mind with similar issues until I tried this.

*I don't know how this works, whether this was a bug for a period of time that has since been fixed or not.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You could raise the change that you describe directly with Audi if it all worked ok before.

For the uk the Audi technical support team are pretty responsive on - [email protected]

I am not sure what the equivalent address would be for other countries although the ‘.de’ suffix and the names of the individual staff suggest that they are based in Germany anyway so perhaps all Audi technical support is run from there.

You could try that address and see what happens, they do generally come back fairly quickly in my experience.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for that I planned on taking it to the dealer to see if they might be able to resolve. I'm a bit skeptical as each time the car has to go in, it has been a 4 day stay, at minimum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Further to my input 3 days ago I tried setting up the timer through the vehicle only and while it did respond with "connected" with the timer active and on standby it never activated charging for the required departure time.

Note - I may have complicated the issue by using a "smart" EVSE which can also set up a timer for charging which may conflict with either the myaudi app or the vehicle's built in software. However the "smart" EVSE does not work either.

Regardless I am going back to my default system which both satisfies the charging requirements and climate control thereby satisfying both charging at a reduced electrical rate and having the vehicle climate conditioned for my departure time.

Some background - we have reduced electrical rates from 7 pm to 7 am M-F and all day S-S and holidays.

I just plug in anytime after 7 pm during the week or anytime S-S and the car will always reach the desired target level well before 7 am.

If I need climate conditioning I can set this up separately thru the myaudi app which does work independently of the charging timer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GOOD NEWS - IT APPEARS THE TIMER IN THE MYAUDI APP NOW WORKS !

With the release of v.4.3.1 of the app there is now an ability to actually edit the timer hour which I did not realize was even there or required. In the Charging Planning section of the app if you tap on the Timer icon it will open the option to set 5 timer options. I had assumed that selecting one (turned Green) with for example a departure time of 7:00 am that was all that would be required. Turns out that was wrong for by accident when tapping on the activated timer option it opens a separate Edit timer page that indicated a different departure time ( in my case 12:00 pm). How or why there was a difference is unknown however by changing the time to match the desired departure time to 7:00am it appears to have resolved the timer function.

After completing the above and sending to the vehicle and ensuring the clock timer icon is activated on the screen (red bar) after shutting down and BEFORE exiting the vehicle, charging is delayed rather than starting immediately based on the Audi calculation on when to start charging to achieve the required charge level for the specified departure time.

I apologize if the above sounds complicated but it really is straight forward. Some of you may have already discovered the solution.

The above is my assumption and based on the on the current vehicle status. The proof will be if charging starts and finishes within the preferred charging window that has been established in the Charging location.

Will update further if there is any problem.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts