Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the problem with the design of the timer isn’t just that it’s stupidly over complicated, it’s that it should be JOURNEY based not LOCATION based.

Like a good battery citizen, I generally charge at home up to 80%, and do so directly. Every couple of days or whenever it drops below 50% I plug it in when parking up and it can go straight up to 80.

Its always preferable to charge at home unless I’ve a work location where I can charge for free but everywhere else where I’m paying more I’ll just want to charge the amount I need and no more.

And there’s the issue. The amount of charge I want is NEVER location based, it’s ALWAYS journey based. And other than location there’s only one % setting.

So when I’m planning a long journey the next day, I park up for the night and plug in. I’d like it to immediately start charging up to my 80% because I’d always like to have it ready in case my plans change. But I’d also like to charge it to 100% just in time for me to leave on my long journey so I can defer a public ChargePoint as long as possible.

As far as I can tell there’s NO WAY to set that up. So I have to do the following;

1) park up, plug in
2) disable all timers
3) check charge target is 80%
4) see how long it needs and set an alarm on my phone to go back out to the car later (because I can’t trust the app)
5) go back to car, set departure timer, change fill to 100%
6) back to bed
7) next day, get up, go to car and immediately change the charge full level from 100 back to 80 just in case I forget later

Am I missing something, or was the whole product design overthought by developers without fair consideration to actual human use?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Why not just set the car to charge to 100%, then set a timer to have charging completed by your estimated departure time? That way your car will not sit for a long period with a full charge, if that is what you are concerned about. In addition, if your activate "cabin conditioning" as part of the timer, about 30 minutes before the Departure time, the car will start to condition the cabin using power from the wall, so the battery is not drained. That can add several miles to the range when you start out.

It seems like the feature you would like to see would be the ability to set the "maximum charge" through the timer setup. Then you could just set up different timers with different "max charge" for your different destination scenarios. So, the timer system is simply missing one feature you would like to have added. Am I correct?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Almost, but not quite. If I set the charge level to 100% it will probably be ready tomorrow, but it won’t charge to 80% immediately. In effect, I want to set a MIN charge level by location and then a max charge level by destination.

So a timer with a charge setting would be a great option instead of just having one setting. That way I could say please always charge to 80% if you’re plugged in at home, except this Thursday when I’m heading up north and I’d like you to charge to 100% by the time I leave. Charge to 80% immediately in case I need it earlier but only charge to 100% just before I am about to leave. That way I don’t sit with a full battery but conversely there’s less chance I’ll be caught with a low charge.

Imagine for instance arriving home with 10%. As it stands today, I can set a timer for 100%, but if for whatever reason that fails by the morning I’m screwed. At least if I’ve 80% I can make do.

A timer is but one way. The eTron would be usably transformed if I could programme different charge levels, so I’d gladly take it, but it’s hardly “smart”.

Another way would be for me to tell the car I’m heading up to Scotland, have it work out that I’ll need a full charge and have it ready automatically. The nav computer can already do that. So just combine those smarts with the charge programmer/timer.

Really, really smart would be it using AI to work out my patterns and be more automatic. But that’s light years away.

I’d like it to be just a bit more journey aware, <rant> but I’d settle for a 1980s timer. At least the later VCRs let you programme a channel as well as a time.

Whilst we’re all trying to work out how to make the clunky system so what we need, why can’t the product developers make stuff that people need? Who needs half a dozen timers, a master timer switch, for one charge level?

Do many people really find more than two locations helpful? Home, work, everywhere else?<|rant>

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wouldn't just setting the 'minimum charge' option to on sort out your perceived problem of only arriving home with 10% and then not having your emergency charge?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wouldn't just setting the 'minimum charge' option to on sort out your perceived problem of only arriving home with 10% and then not having your emergency charge?
No. Because the min charge isn’t configurable. It’s fixed to 25% so I can’t ask for 80% although that otherwise would have been useful.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Am I missing something, or was the whole product design overthought by developers without fair consideration to actual human use?
Kudos for saying 'use' instead of 'usage'. I did, however, find your summary of your needs to be ironically complicated.

Were I to be Audi, I would fear that satisfying your needs would make the car's charging system extremely complicated. For sure some users would appreciate it but the majority would shy away.
Do many people really find more than two locations helpful?
I can only speak for myself... There is (or perhaps was - it may have changed recently) a free-to-use rapid near where I live. In this case it would make sense to have the default charge-to setting 100% (with 80% being the default for 'home') to exploit as much of the free energy as possible. By extension, all free chargers repeatedly visited should be set to 100%, even if they are only fast, but the chance of fully exploiting them by charging to 100% will be rare.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Were I to be Audi, I would fear that satisfying your needs would make the car's charging system extremely complicated. For sure some users would appreciate it but the majority would shy away.
It doesn’t need to be more complicated, that’s for sure. The trouble with it as it is though is that nobody finds it easy to understand the mental model with several ways to do similar things hidden but connected through a series of menus and not obvious toggles, but only one charge setting for a timer.

If the system just had a simple, single model, where you could set a programmer (like a VHS) where you can set minimum and maximum charge, and climate all in one program.

Each program could be turned simply on or off. Simples. If they’re on, they’re on. No master override.

Those programs would be symmetric and understandable and could be triggered by location or time. Easy, modular, understandable by laymen who didn’t build the thing and fully flexible.

I think at least part of the problem is the VAG shared platforms and each divisions attempt to stamp their own identity. For example, I can see the similarity with my Porsche but they’ve wired it completely differently. On the Taycan, programs are the default and there’s a “direct charging” button which overrides it. Contrast with Audi which use the “timer mode toggle”.

I don’t think the Porsche model is much better tbh, except that I can set different programmable charge levels I believe,but other than that the limitations remain.

Between the two, Audi have over complicated it for sure.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry, no, I don't buy into your reasoning. And, for what it's worth, back in the day, VHS programming was sufficiently complicated that eventually they developed this! Enough said!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry, no, I don't buy into your reasoning. And, for what it's worth, back in the day, VHS programming was sufficiently complicated that eventually they developed this! Enough said!
Yeah I won’t disagree with you. I’m not saying I want it more complicated, my main issue is that I believe the Model should be primarily journey based not location based.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The vehicle has multiple timers, you can always set a particular travel day for the charge to go to the desired level and change the departure time as required prior to calling it a night. I have one set for daily charge at 80% even though I don’t need to charge daily but in case I did some extra driving on day, I just plug it in for that 80% the next morning. I also have a Saturday/weekend charge where I set it to 90% when I know I have a lot of running around to do outside of my commute area. That typically last for the weekend then plug in Sunday and switch back to the daily charge for the weekly commute.

If something comes up that requires an earlier departure, I can pull up the App and switch timers or set to 90% and select the charge now option if the time to get to my desired charge level would exceed my desired departure time, set in the timer. From what I have experienced, if the App timer isn’t working, the one on the car is also broken. Maybe you had a different experience. Mine is back to normal again and works as mentioned. With the 5 charge timers slots available, you should be able to get what you need, if not, time to get Audi to repair the App functionality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The vehicle has multiple timers, you can always set a particular travel day for the charge to go to the desired level and change the departure time as required prior to calling it a night. I have one set for daily charge at 80% even though I don’t need to charge daily but in case I did some extra driving on day, I just plug it in for that 80% the next morning. I also have a Saturday/weekend charge where I set it to 90% when I know I have a lot of running around to do outside of my commute area. That typically last for the weekend then plug in Sunday and switch back to the daily charge for the weekly commute.

If something comes up that requires an earlier departure, I can pull up the App and switch timers or set to 90% and select the charge now option if the time to get to my desired charge level would exceed my desired departure time, set in the timer. From what I have experienced, if the App timer isn’t working, the one on the car is also broken. Maybe you had a different experience. Mine is back to normal again and works as mentioned. With the 5 charge timers slots available, you should be able to get what you need, if not, time to get Audi to repair the App functionality.
Thats’s not really journey based, I have to do the work. But I’ll need to work with what I have, especially if I don’t have to remember to wake up to go change the settings - are you saying that you’ve managed to configure timers with different charge levels?

So you can do an 80% default every day, but override it on a one off basis and have it revert automatically?

I’ve found that once you set to 100% it’ll stay there until you reset it again, AND I can’t set the min to 80% because only one timer will be active at a time (hence having to wake up and manually change).

·
Registered
248 Posts
No, when I switch timers for the weekend, I change to 90% then send to the vehicle. Then switch back to 80% for weekly charge. That is the one area I wish they would incorporate into the timer, but it doesn’t take much time to make the change. Not a major thing if I forget to switch back to 80%. I don’t do 100% at home, any long trip I am going on, I can reach the next charger with a 90% charge with power to spare.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, when I switch timers for the weekend, I change to 90% then send to the vehicle. Then switch back to 80% for weekly charge. That is the one area I wish they would incorporate into the timer, but it doesn’t take much time to make the change. Not a major thing if I forget to switch back to 80%. I don’t do 100% at home, any long trip I am going on, I can reach the next charger with a 90% charge with power to spare.
Exactly! Why didn’t they just put a charge level into the timer programme? The way they’ve done it makes the cognitive model more complex AND a manual process.

if they just did that, I’d be happy. I’d live with the complexity. They need to get the software product teams to talk to customers that drive the cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wonder if they have a site where you can submit ideas for improvements so we can get that on their to do list.
Doesn’t seem so. But I just posted a review containing a feature request to Apple’s App Store for the MyAudi app - it seems the product developers do respond to those.

It’s not an ideal way to submit features and have customers vote on them but it’s a start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Drove my Porsche for the first time in weeks. They got it right. I used to think it’s charging programmer was complicated but after the Audi, all is forgiven. It works just as it should. I can set a default charge level of 85% at home. But tomorrow, my brother is borrowing it and I want him to have 100% because he doesn’t have a home Charger so once it reaches 85% it’ll wait until a couple of hours before go departure time before bringing it up to the final 100%. Audi just has it all wrong.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In an effort to understand your posts I re-read them, especially the first (#41). Honestly, I think what you're asking for is an unnecessary nuance. I think the basic premise of the Audi that you set, if you want, a departure time and have a location-based preferential charge time is perfectly fine - I certainly wouldn't engineer anything else in (although the charger-based Octopus Agile charging method is attractive). In this way the car maximises charging during a cheap tariff and still leaves a bit of ullage for charging for about a half hour before actual departure for battery warming and, if required, cabin conditioning. During the summer, I find battery conditioning less important and just tell the car to be ready at the end of cheap time. This minimises cost and maximises efficiency.
I can understand your desire to have a minimum energy available as soon as possible but I don't rate it as important. The car rarely ends up with less than 50% at the end of the day, On the rare occasion that it does, I can easily tailor the Audi scheme to suit the next day's needs.
If your need to have a car is ready to go, why not just have a spare car?
And then it turns out that you do!
Drove my Porsche for the first time in weeks. They got it right.
Now I'm really puzzled. Right back at post #41, why didn't your tout your Porsche's perfect system then and there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
In an effort to understand your posts I re-read them, especially the first (#41). Honestly, I think what you're asking for is an unnecessary nuance. I think the basic premise of the Audi that you set, if you want, a departure time and have a location-based preferential charge time is perfectly fine - I certainly wouldn't engineer anything else in (although the charger-based Octopus Agile charging method is attractive). In this way the car maximises charging during a cheap tariff and still leaves a bit of ullage for charging for about a half hour before actual departure for battery warming and, if required, cabin conditioning. During the summer, I find battery conditioning less important and just tell the car to be ready at the end of cheap time. This minimises cost and maximises efficiency.
I can understand your desire to have a minimum energy available as soon as possible but I don't rate it as important. The car rarely ends up with less than 50% at the end of the day, On the rare occasion that it does, I can easily tailor the Audi scheme to suit the next day's needs.
If your need to have a car is ready to go, why not just have a spare car?
And then it turns out that you do!

Now I'm really puzzled. Right back at post #41, why didn't your tout your Porsche's perfect system then and there?
My biggest issue is that there’s only one charge level setting. So despite the various timers and location profiles, I still can’t programme a particular charge for a particular departure without setting the master default. And I don’t want to do that.

Porsche effortlessly dealt with this simple feature just by allowing the charge level setting in the programmer. Audi let you do everything else, such as climate temp so why on earth leave out the charge level on a charge programmer?

The Porsche isn’t perfect, but it’s significantly better IMHO or at least inarguably different than Audi - and I don’t understand why.

I’m a student of good user interface design and appreciate the nuances of good functional models and simplicity of flexible features vs complexity, so whether or not I can use another car is besides the point. But it may make me think twice about buying a similar system again.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts