Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My biggest issue is that there’s only one charge level setting. So despite the various timers and location profiles, I still can’t programme a particular charge for a particular departure without setting the master default. And I don’t want to do that.

Porsche effortlessly dealt with this simple feature just by allowing the charge level setting in the programmer. Audi let you do everything else, such as climate temp so why on earth leave out the charge level on a charge programmer?

The Porsche isn’t perfect, but it’s significantly better IMHO or at least inarguably different than Audi - and I don’t understand why.

I’m a student of good user interface design and appreciate the nuances of good functional models and simplicity of flexible features vs complexity, so whether or not I can use another car is besides the point. But it may make me think twice about buying a similar system again.
I should add that I love the Audi, and I long to make it better. It’s not back seat criticism. I just wish there was a formal, crowd sourced mechanism for feeding back to the Audi product developers so that on the future Audis they can get this right for everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The charging system is fairly complex but has great and flexible potential.
You can have a simple-to-use solution but need to invest a little time to set it up.
If you have variable rate electricity, you need to set up your home as a location with the preferred charging period. From then on the car automatically uses it when told to do a timed charge when it's at that location.
If you then want to forego the setting up of timed departure but instead generally maximise charging in the cheap time you should simply set up one timer to finish when the cheap rate does.
Once the above is done, all you must remember to do is activate timer mode after switching off the car but before opening the door. You press the clock-like icon to the left of the displayed timer row to get a red bar to appear above it. Possibly regrettably, you must do this on every day before you want the car to do a timed charge.

After becoming comfortable with this, you may want to progress to more advanced tricks like setting a departure time with aux-air con - this will help in a British winter but is less relevant in the spring to autumn.

Should you insist on totally restricting the car to charge at cheap rate, even if the cheap rate period isn't long enough to always recharge the car, set a departure time well into the next day so that the car never gets the chance to precondition on shore power as you'll have unplugged it before then.
This strategy will also be achieved by setting the PodPoint charger that you probably got with the car to only supply electricity during the cheap time. In this case, don't set up any car-based timer options; just plug the car in and let the charger do the thinking.

For each one of the more advanced options you employ, you have to do a little more thinking and working out to see if it's appropriate for the moment.
You have to remember to press the charge button daily? Why? This is a rubbish solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back when I got the car in September I was frustrated by its inability to remember favourites in navigation. It was sorted by making sure the car was logged into myAudi. Everything was fine until recently when, a couple of times, I've found the favourites were gone and I had to log the car in again. Perhaps some update to the car / myAudi / app software has caused this problem which is also appearing in your charging issue?
With systems this complex and linked, it's difficult to diagnose the fundamental problem but ensuring the car's logged in too may help.
I experienced same. All favourites disappeared. Possible due to an update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly! Why didn’t they just put a charge level into the timer programme? The way they’ve done it makes the cognitive model more complex AND a manual process.

if they just did that, I’d be happy. I’d live with the complexity. They need to get the software product teams to talk to customers that drive the cars.
I completely agree. It's a stupid manual process and unnecessary. There should be a channel to give feedback to the product team.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I completely agree. It's a stupid manual process and unnecessary. There should be a channel to give feedback to the product team.
Actually there is, kind of. I just used the feedback on the App Store. A good team would be watching this. I actually wrote the development stories for them :)

I actually did get a response too. But it was just a sort of, “we value your feedback”, thing.

But the more people that feedback this way the more effect it will have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually there is, kind of. I just used the feedback on the App Store. A good team would be watching this. I actually wrote the development stories for them :)

I actually did get a response too. But it was just a sort of, “we value your feedback”, thing.

But the more people that feedback this way the more effect it will have.
Good idea. I might do the same.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts