Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time, I charge my GT to 90% (level 2). I am wondering about how real the negative effects are on the car's batteries. I only plan to keep the car for 3 or 4 years, so this isn't a huge concern for me.

The reason I charge to 90% is because I am driving more lately, and my current charging setup is a little cumbersome to use. I would like to charge to 90% all the time, but have some reservations.

I have read a bunch of articles on best charging practices, and the consensus is that charging to 90% speeds battery degradation, but I can't find good data on how much this hurts the batteries.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
147 Posts
Audi went super conservative regarding charging, and they limit user's access to the top and bottom portions of the battery. So when you charge to 100%, it's not really that, it's more like 96% or so. And the same with bottom portion, I don't remember exact numbers, hopefully other people here will post them. This was done specifically to prolong battery life and prevent damage from charging.
I charge to 100% twice a week because I drive a lot to work and don't have a home charger. Honestly, I don't care much, I trust in Audi's battery tech, and hopefully I'm right :)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
From time to time, I charge my GT to 90% (level 2). I am wondering about how real the negative effects are on the car's batteries. I only plan to keep the car for 3 or 4 years, so this isn't a huge concern for me.

The reason I charge to 90% is because I am driving more lately, and my current charging setup is a little cumbersome to use. I would like to charge to 90% all the time, but have some reservations.

I have read a bunch of articles on best charging practices, and the consensus is that charging to 90% speeds battery degradation, but I can't find good data on how much this hurts the batteries.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't be concerned about 90% while using L2 charging. Using L3 charging even to 80% would be much worse. The etron maintains buffers at both ends of the battery to minimize charge/drain degradation. The etron will not let you "fill up" the top 2% of the intrinsic battery capacity (ie, when you charge to "100%" , you are charging only to 98% of the intrinsic capacity). Also, the etron will not let you drain the last 8% of charge from the battery .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts