Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone charging two EVs at home?
I’m looking for equipment that can monitor the electrical load and communicate between the chargers while charging two vehicles at the same time. I’ve found a couple options but just curious if anyone has real-life experience doing this and is willing to share their experience.

We already have a Rivian drawing quite a bit of power in the garage and I just want to be sure adding the GT doesn’t pull too much at once.

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Prestige
67 Posts
I’m looking for equipment that can monitor the electrical load and communicate between the chargers while charging two vehicles at the same time. I’ve found a couple options but just curious if anyone has real-life experience doing this and is willing to share their experience.

We already have a Rivian drawing quite a bit of power in the garage and I just want to be sure adding the GT doesn’t pull too much at once.

Thanks
That’s going to be our issue here shortly. Husband has the Rivian coming shortly to add to my e-tron. We plan to just do car shuffle given we either WFH or trade office days. This will work for us given we have a 60a circuit and can get one car charged before bed then flip.
Give it a few years and more will add that feature like Tesla has right now.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,444 Posts
I was looking into it and ended up NOT installing a second line or any fancy power splitting charger. With two EVs, chances are that on daily basis you will be able to load split, i.e., charge one at a time (95% of time). The remaining 5% of time, the added cost of a second line, charger, and likely panel upgrade is hard to justify. Personal opinion, nothing more.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The JuiceBox EVSEs can share the power between multiple EVSEs. The communication works over WiFi so that they never exceed the specified max power draw. Once one car is done charging, the remaining one will go to full power. I have not tried this out yet myself, though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was under the impression that 2 JuiceBox would charge one car at a time, charging them consecutively. I think Chargepoint units can charge 2 by balancing simultaneous charges.
I'd assume that it doesn't make any difference which approach is taken - unless you expect to need to drive one car before its fully charged.

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron Premium Plus
72 Posts
I get home from work and plug in my wife’s Tesla and then before going to bed I unplug her car and plug in my e-tron. We both leave for work everyday at our set charge limit.

I have contemplated going to 2 chargers, but I’m not on a time of use plan so it really doesn’t matter for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I researched and debated this for days. Previously we just shared a plug. No real arguments or issues but I decided we needed to both be able to plug in at the same time.

Sharing options solved through tech are a great idea but its way less complicated to just to run another line. Honestly is probably also cheaper.

One thought, you could also run a 20amp or 30amp 240V circuit for the second charger. The e-tron charger set to 50% will run fine on 30A. There are also L2 chargers that will run at 20A. But if you are paying an electrician and your panel can hold it may as well spend the extra cash and get a full 50A or 60A. If you are able to DIY, thinner wire required for 20A/30A is a lot easier to work with and is cheaper.

The best advice I can give you is have 3 or 4 electricians come and give you estimates. Don't let them make up what you need, tell them what you need:
You need another dedicated lines from your panel to your garage. You want 6ga wire up to local codes. You want a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet added.

Feel free to report back here with what they say. I'm betting someone will do what you need for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
^^^
I've been under the impression that 100A 22kW chargers are intended more for commercial applications where infrastructure and/or finances don't allow DC fast charging. If every corner store could have a 22kW charger available it would be a pretty nice thing. Power companies aren't going to start allowing residential 300-400A service upgrades anyways, they don't have the infrastructure for it, whereas many commercial locations already have it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This will get more and more complex to solve in residential situations. Right now I’m a 2 car household but eventually my 2 kids will be drivers and we’ll have 4 EVs to charge.

·
Registered
307 Posts
^^^
I've been under the impression that 100A 22kW chargers are intended more for commercial applications where infrastructure and/or finances don't allow DC fast charging. If every corner store could have a 22kW charger available it would be a pretty nice thing. Power companies aren't going to start allowing residential 300-400A service upgrades anyways, they don't have the infrastructure for it, whereas many commercial locations already have it.
I installed them in my garage, which has a separate meter on it. I also installed them in my business parking area.

However it doesn’t matter if you have those if your car, like the Audi GT, is not even capable of AC charging at that rate. The vehicle needs two onboard chargers to handle it. My last Tesla was the last model they put them on. Eventually they found most of the public didn’t want to pay for it.

Although I am seeing more American manufacturers include it as a way to separate out their cars from others.

I honestly miss the faster charge rates for my house. But my EV use is not how the majority of people (or so I am told). I frequently need more range faster when charging at home.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This will get more and more complex to solve in residential situations. Right now I’m a 2 car household but eventually my 2 kids will be drivers and we’ll have 4 EVs to charge.
I imagine it will be handled similar to how they do it in the garages of residential condo units. There are several companies developing the tech that can determine what load, and for how long, to send to each car charging depending on its state of charge. Without having to upgrade the condo electrical system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I imagine it will be handled similar to how they do it in the garages of residential condo units. There are several companies developing the tech that can determine what load, and for how long, to send to each car charging depending on its state of charge. Without having to upgrade the condo electrical system.
Yeah that’a definitely it … just need to allow each car to hit the daily charge limit which is definitely doable with a decent service and load sharing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I charge three EVs at my house. I use a hardwired Chargepoint Flex for my Porsche Turbo S, ChargePoint Home Flex Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger upto 50 Amp, 240V, Level 2 WiFi Enabled EVSE, UL Listed, Energy Star, NEMA 6-50 Plug or Hardwired, I then use a Clippercreek 40 amp Dual charger for my Mustang Mach E GT and my Volt, ClipperCreek 40 Amps, Level 2, 240 Volts, HCS-D50P Dual EV Charger NEMA 6-50 Plug, Up to 38 Miles per Hour of Charge, 2x25 Ft Cables, Indoor/Outdoor U . The dual charger shares the charge until one is full and then it gives its full charge to the other one. They are all charged in 3 to 4 hours, and when we wake up all cars are fully charged. Only requires a 60 amp circuit breaker for the Chargepoint and a 50 amp circuit breaker for the Clipper Creek.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts