Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Has anybody experienced an issue with their Audi charging unit, whereby you plug into a 14-50 outlet, and everytime the charge is complete the charger gets all red error lights and the plug and charger feel extremely hot.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hi there,

Has anybody experienced an issue with their Audi charging unit, whereby you plug into a 14-50 outlet, and everytime the charge is complete the charger gets all red error lights and the plug and charger feel extremely hot.

Thanks
Per the owner's manual (page 115), it simply indicates as you said. The charger has overheated and charging has been interrupted. It suggests having the charger checked by an authorized dealer.

It also wouldn't hurt to have your electrical outlet checked by a certified electrician to make sure it's working within spec. In particular, if it's an older outlet, not installed to code, the 50 amp breaker may need to be replaced, worn wiring, etc.

Also, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Had the outlet checked today, it's a fairly new house (less than 5 years old) and the 14-50 outlet was installed a week ago. Just thought it was weird that the errors only happening as soon as charging is completed. In the manual, the error code I get lines up with "...there is some residual charge". I tried to reset by holding down the reset button but nothing happens, the lights stay on and only way to cure it is to unplug for a long time.

Audi ordered a new 240V cable and EVSE as they suspect there's something wrong with it. Hope that does the trick!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Thanks!
Had the outlet checked today, it's a fairly new house (less than 5 years old) and the 14-50 outlet was installed a week ago. Just thought it was weird that the errors only happening as soon as charging is completed. In the manual, the error code I get lines up with "...there is some residual charge". I tried to reset by holding down the reset button but nothing happens, the lights stay on and only way to cure it is to unplug for a long time.

Audi ordered a new 240V cable and EVSE as they suspect there's something wrong with it. Hope that does the trick!
Great! Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was able to pin point exactly when it happens. The error occurs when you unlock the car after it's completed charging. When you don't have car doors locked, not an issue. Strange. Will see if the new cable fixes it!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting, I've only accidentally locked my car once while charging the vehicle. I know you cannot remove the charger head while the car is locked, so there is an interplay between the doors and the charging system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not even the locks, it's also the act of opening the door. This evening I charged the car with the doors unlocked the entire time. No issues charged as it should. When I opened a door (which was already unlocked), the errors triggered.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You know, I've owned my etron since last December and I'm not sure I've ever opened the door after charging has ended, but before I've taken out the charger head. Next time I charge I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would be curious to see what happens in your case. I’ve noticed for me, anytime I interact with a door, open, unlock, or even just press the charging port door button, it triggers the error on the charger. Everything up to that is fine. Only hassle is I need to unplug unit from wall and leave it unplugged for a while and then it’ll reset. Can’t reset otherwise.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I found myself going in and out of the vehicle quite a bit before, during, and after charging. Mostly to play with something new I read about. But can't say I ever had an issue as a result of that. And that was with the Audi EVSE as I only just installed JuiceBox recently.

Hopefully, the new charger resolves that for you, as it does sound rather odd.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So, I just used the Audi charger to charge my car to the 80% limit, no timer involved and with the doors unlocked. I happened to open and close the driver door once during the charging and, while I could hear that it caused some relays to click, the charging continued uninterrupted. When the MyAudi app notified me that the charging had completed, I went out to the garage and found all the lights in the charging port were dark. I opened and closed the door and that caused the green charging light to come on solid green, which the manual indicates "charging complete". By pressing the charging port button, the charging door light came on and I was able to disconnect the charging head as usual. The lights on the Audi charging unit were green/yellow (since I had already disconnected the cable). No charger error. Clearly opening and closing the door is sensed by the car and affects the status of charging, but in my case, did not appear to cause any problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts