Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chronos Edition - Mythos Black Metallic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you not? What's the alternative, braise in your sweat?
Thanks for the reply. Looks like most of these EA chargers are near a Walmart or Target. An alternative would be to walk and shop or window shop while charging. So sounds like there’s no harm in charging while on, perhaps a longer charging session?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looks like most of these EA chargers are near a Walmart or Target. An alternative would be to walk and shop or window shop while charging. So sounds like there’s no harm in charging while on, perhaps a longer charging session?
Ah yeah if there's stuff to do, that's cool. I usually road trip late at night when everything is closed 😂

it'll add a tiny bit of charging time in theory but in practice you'd likely never notice unless it's working very hard to stay cool or warm.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It seems like the only complication for doing that is that you would have to stay in the car with the doors shut. If you open the door and get out, the car will turn off. Can you use the auxiliary AC on the Shut Down screen?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems like the only complication for doing that is that you would have to stay in the car with the doors shut. If you open the door and get out, the car will turn off. Can you use the auxiliary AC on the Shut Down screen?
Thanks for the reply. I plan on staying inside for 22-25 minutes until it reaches 80%!

I certainly can use Aux AC but at 107 temps in SoCal this week, I may not last 5 minutes! 😀

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Living in Arizona it's not an option to not run the AC while charging. :sneaky:

It just slows the charge rate slightly.
There’s a heat wave in SoCal this week and next - feels a bit like AZ weather for sure. My level 2 install is scheduled for 9/9 and will need to use public chargers until then.

Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
e-tron 55 quattro Launch Edition 2019
55 Posts
I nearly always charge with the car switched on and the AC on, and with music on, etc. It hadn't even occurred to me whether I should or shouldn't be doing it. On a fast 150kW charger I would have thought the charging time difference would be negligible, and I've done it on 50kW chargers too with no perceivable difference.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
156 Posts
It matters a lot on a 3kW L2.

AC is about 1 kW or so. On a 50kW you would never notice.

Reactions: REPOWER

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I nearly always charge with the car switched on and the AC on, and with music on, etc. It hadn't even occurred to me whether I should or shouldn't be doing it. On a fast 150kW charger I would have thought the charging time difference would be negligible, and I've done it on 50kW chargers too with no perceivable difference.
Glad to hear! Thanks for weighing in, steve-g!

·
Registered
92 Posts
+1 to this. I do the exact same thing. Have a 40kW charger near me that is free with nothing else around so I stay in the e-tron. Running the AC reduces the charge by about 1 kW, which is definitely worth my comfort. Car only stays on for 30 minutes before powering off, but all you have to do is hit the start button again. I believe the AC will run for an hour when you activate the auxiliary AC mode.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
299 Posts
There should be no difference to the charge time whilst running AC if you use a HPC capable 150kW or above.

The car will request more energy to cover the AC and, if the charger has capacity, it will continue to provide 120kW (for a 50) or 150kW (for a 55) and it will provide however many more kW for the AC and other components needing thermal management.

That's why some folks get giddy when they see 155kW on a EA or Ionity charger for example (or 125kW charging a 50). But if you look at the dashboard the car is still sending 150kW to the battery.

Obviously on a 50kW-100kW charger this doesn't really happen and you'll sacrifice a bit of speed as others have said. Depends on conditions. AC/cabin heating is one source requiring power and thermal management components are other sources, yet not always required. I expect to pull around 43-47kW into the battery whilst charging at a 50kW charger in winter for example.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts