Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Audi E-tron 50 S-line Navara Blue, Panroof, C+S, Remote aircon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in a new build development in the UK. It's based in a middle of a business park, surrounded by lots of trees of wild life. It's a modern looking development occupied mostly by young families and professional workers.

Property management company just held a meeting and told us we are not allowed to have charing cables across the pavement because they are safety hazard.

Best part is the development calls itself "Green" and there is an actual wind turbine here where security EV cars are charging their batteries!

Apparently this is not the priority for them and they will be looking at installing EV chargers at the visitors parking bays. They also said they will send us map of public chargers!

There are only two visitors bays per road with 10 houses and 20 cars. Some properties have they allocated parking bays at the back of their house so sometimes they use visitors parking bays so they can stop at front of their house if they need to carry their babies, shopping etc so basically they are always occupied.

I can't see how two EV chargers at visitors parking bays will solve this! Especially we two e-trons just on my street. I bet there will be 3kW like most of free chargers in the UK.

I'm about to collect my e-tron and PodPoint supposed to be coming next week to install the charger on the front wall of the house right opposite our parking bays. I understand that charing cable across the pavement could be an issue as someone could trip over them. I suggested to the property management company that we could use one of those cable guards like the one below but they also said no.

Most of us would charge at night to benefit from the cheaper electricity tariff. Probably plug in at 10pm before going to bed and unplug 6-7am in the morning before going to work. I have a ring doorbell and I can't see there is close to no walking at the time.

Another option could be a small channel in the asphalt so we could run the cable underneath the walking path. I'm not a builder but the distance from edge of my house and the car is 1 meter so this shouldn't be difficult and/or expensive in my opinion. I believe this would be more elegant and safer solution.

This is really frustrating especially that there is demand and many people in our development already own a PHEV and would like to get an EV car but as it stand they won't be able to charge from home.

I'm still getting me e-tron and will be forced to use public chargers for now. Luckily there 150kW charger 5 miles away and 125kW one 15 miles away plus lots of 50kW ones around town. It will be inconvenient and 5 more expensive than charing from home.

I wonder if this was the problem in other developments in the UK and around the world. I would love to hear your story and how you managed to solve this or not.

Many thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
Can your pod point be mounted on a pole at the front of your parking bay and the cable then run to your house under the pavement so then when you plug in your cables remain in your bay with no overlap to pavement?

I must admit with the Government saying that all new vehicles must be electric from 2030, they need to start imposing regulations around new housing developments making it a requirement to install EV charging point for each house / parking area etc for those houses.

Reactions: kobazik

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PodPoint could be mounted on my house front wall and there is only a meter of asphalt between edge my of house land and the parking bay. My house entrance is literally opposite my parking bay. Issue is the we don't own the parking bay. It's privately owned by the developer so they can make up rules they want.

See pic below

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not good unfortunately. Just hope a neighbour doesnt moan or complain.

Also check the situation with your insurance in case you are liable if someone trips over the cable at night if you are charging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not good unfortunately. Just hope a neighbour doesnt moan or complain.

Also check the situation with your insurance in case you are liable if someone trips over the cable at night if you are charging.
Neighbours are ok with this its just the property management company. This area is very weird. Last year we changed plants in front our our house and got a letter saying its breach of the the contract as we didn't tell them we are going to do this. Joy if living in the new build development. I guess if I have to use public rapid chargers all the time it won't help me with saving up so that I can move out from here soon!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I suggested to the property management company that we could use one of those cable guards like the one below but they also said no.
Sounds like you will need to look into what they can and cannot legally prohibit you from doing. I am no lawyer for sure, but in cases where cables are properly marked with guards and perhaps cones, it should not be an issue. The big question is also whether you rent or own property. In either case, there is HOA I assume and this should be brought up for discussion in the local assembly, especially if there are more car owners in the same situation.
In here, I know that most rental properties designate specific parking spots for charging ports to minimize cable runs across pavement and it seems to work quite well. I have also seen cable guides done in pavement to prevent them from laying around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you will need to look into what they can and cannot legally prohibit you from doing. I am no lawyer for sure, but in cases where cables are properly marked with guards and perhaps cones, it should not be an issue. The big question is also whether you rent or own property. In either case, there is HOA I assume and this should be brought up for discussion in the local assembly, especially if there are more car owners in the same situation.
In here, I know that most rental properties designate specific parking spots for charging ports to minimize cable runs across pavement and it seems to work quite well. I have also seen cable guides done in pavement to prevent them from laying around.
I own the house and its a freehold but dedicated parking bays in from my property are managed by a company and owned by the developer. Management company already told me no to the cable guard. I've contacted the developer directly but I doubt they will do anything in the short term. Going legal route and cable trenches will probably costs £1000s which I might as well spent towards ultra rapid public chargers ;)

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Fair enough, but I would not leave it like this. Charging at home is your right, by far, and I'd get press involved and give the management company a black eye. It is not cool these days to go again the EV and electrification.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair enough, but I would not leave it like this. Charging at home is your right, by far, and I'd get press involved and give the management company a black eye. It is not cool these days to go again the EV and electrification.
So far I'm being nice and trying to find a solution without getting legal or press involved but I'm ready to go that route. It's the most expensive and supposed to be the best standard houses in the area so if they are not allowing EV chargers this can actually impact the re-sell value of the house.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I would not leave it as it is. Adding solar panels and charger to my property ended up boosting property value by around 150k (against 40k worth of investment) so if my HOA gave me problems with my installing solar panels (charger is in attached garage), I would make a big stink out of it. They have no business telling you what you can and cannot do on your property as long as general safety regulations are followed and you have all inspections in order and on file.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would not leave it as it is. Adding solar panels and charger to my property ended up boosting property value by around 150k (against 40k worth of investment) so if my HOA gave me problems with my installing solar panels (charger is in attached garage), I would make a big stink out of it. They have no business telling you what you can and cannot do on your property as long as general safety regulations are followed and you have all inspections in order and on file.
I'm planning to add solar panels too. Can't wait to hear their response :D Best part is the this place is called Green Park Village and we surrounded by lots of greenery and wild life. There is even a wind turbine with a broken Ecotricty charger next to it :D Not so "green" anymore if we cannot have EV chargers.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Sounds like a perfect blackmail situation ... tell them out straight - either they develop a common policy for all EV users and make it work, or you go to press with that. I doubt they'd want such publicity and press these days loves a good story of anti EV efforts. It sells papers.

It will burn some bridges but it does not seem like you'd need them anyway.

Curious to see what the layout of the parking spot relative to your house is.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
add solar panels
I am in the process of permitting additional 12 x 360W installation to cover the remaining portion of my roof and get ready for the potential second EV in the family. PM if you need any pointers on panel selection and such.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a perfect blackmail situation ... tell them out straight - either they develop a common policy for all EV users and make it work, or you go to press with that. I doubt they'd want such publicity and press these days loves a good story of anti EV efforts. It sells papers.

It will burn some bridges but it does not seem like you'd need them anyway.

Curious to see what the layout of the parking spot relative to your house is.
I've already wrote them mentioning house prices and the fact they village isn't so green anymore :) You can see in my original post I have two dedicated parking bays right the front. One of each side of the lamp post. Easiest and cheapest option would be to allow me to use the cable guard and yellow cons so people won't trip over my cable. Other more elegant but more expensive options would be a cable trench (asphalt width in from my property is like 1m) or better install some plugs in the lamp post and connect it back to my potential PodPoint located at the front wall of my house right opposite it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already wrote them mentioning house prices and the fact they village isn't so green anymore :) You can see in my original post I have two dedicated parking bays right the front. One of each side of the lamp post. Easiest and cheapest option would be to allow me to use the cable guard and yellow cons so people won't trip over my cable. Other more elegant but more expensive options would be a cable trench (asphalt width in from my property is like 1m) or better install some plugs in the lamp post and connect it back to my potential PodPoint located at the front wall of my house right opposite it.
It may sound stupid but who owns the lamp posts? Parking company?
I believe developer owns the lamp and the parking bays. Management company only looks after the landscaping, road repairs, enforcing parking rules etc.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Once you confirm that, the easiest way would to latch onto lamp posts - they can increase available power easily for these, and then you could have charging points directly on lamp posts. I have seen that done before and with some decent outdoor class weather-proof cases, the charger is safe as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe developer owns the lamp and the parking bays. Management company only looks after the landscaping, road repairs, enforcing parking rules etc.
Have you considered going over the pavement so people walk under the cable? Might take some engineering prowess to design, but it does away with the trip hazard (and the fear of claims or people with pushchairs or wheelchairs struggling to get past)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you considered going over the pavement so people walk under the cable? Might take some engineering prowess to design, but it does away with the trip hazard (and the fear of claims or people with pushchairs or wheelchairs struggling to get past)?
I do actually have a a missive balcony facing front of the house so in theory I could swing it from the top but I imagine this will raise even more alarms for the management company.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts