Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new e-tron owner, 2 months now. I have programmed my e-tron with my preferred charging % and charging times at my home location in my advanced settings. I assumed the car was asking to set this up, because logically it would wait till those cheap charging hour to charge to my goal. When I got my electric bill I noticed that there was over $1000 in charging because my car disregards the preference and just starts charging the minute you plug it in. I found a work around where you can use the schedules to institute a delaying function on the charge, but if you don't remember to turn that on manually each and every time you park the car you are just burning through cash. This makes no sense to me. If you set up preferred charging time in something called "advanced" settings that should be the default, not this other stupid logic that Audi has. Am I along on this? Has anyone else figure out how to make the car delay the charging process to the cheap off peak times automatically? This car got a lot more expensive with this stupid logic, for the amount I am spending in peak hour charging plus my payment I could have had a model x or the porsche taycan. I am familiar with the saying, "there is the right way, the wrong way, and the German way..." but this really is just the wrong way and a terrible user experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took me a while to figure it out as well. I agree it is not intuitive in the logic they apply. It seems the advanced setting is a geographic criteria. Depending on the locations you have set up (home, work or other). it will only show and limit the schedules you have programmed that fit that within that window. If you do not select a schedule when you shut the care down it will start charging immediately and stop charging at the percentage you set. I have not tried playing with different combinations to see where the limits or conflicts are between the advanced setting and the schedule timer. But in my case I have set an advanced setting criteria for my work location with an 80% charge limit between my work hours. I have also set a schedule timer with a departure time for my days end Mon-Fri. For home I have not set an advanced setting criteria but have a schedule timer for my departure time also set for 80%. I only really use the home charger if the weather is cold and I want to pre-condition the battery and interior climate.
There is 2 sides to the coin with having to confirm running a charge schedule when shutting off the vehicle. I had a ford fusion plug in hybrid before this and when you set a schedule charge window in my case Monday through Friday 12 midnight to 7 am. It would run as scheduled. But there were times that I had off from work and did not need it to charge and pre-condition, 50% of the time forgetting to cancel the timer. So on one side you get an unnecessary charge by forgetting to cancel a scheduled charge event. On the other side you get a charge outside of your scheduled window by not enabling a scheduled charge timer. You can always have level 2 charger installed that is programmable to only allow charging during certain time periods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a new e-tron owner, 2 months now. I have programmed my e-tron with my preferred charging % and charging times at my home location in my advanced settings. I assumed the car was asking to set this up, because logically it would wait till those cheap charging hour to charge to my goal. When I got my electric bill I noticed that there was over $1000 in charging because my car disregards the preference and just starts charging the minute you plug it in. I found a work around where you can use the schedules to institute a delaying function on the charge, but if you don't remember to turn that on manually each and every time you park the car you are just burning through cash. This makes no sense to me. If you set up preferred charging time in something called "advanced" settings that should be the default, not this other stupid logic that Audi has. Am I along on this? Has anyone else figure out how to make the car delay the charging process to the cheap off peak times automatically? This car got a lot more expensive with this stupid logic, for the amount I am spending in peak hour charging plus my payment I could have had a model x or the porsche taycan. I am familiar with the saying, "there is the right way, the wrong way, and the German way..." but this really is just the wrong way and a terrible user experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello mate .
I meet the same issues as you .
these is no point to program the time frame window set up in charging preference and do not run it as we requeste.
Very strange , the charge pourcentage limit is working perfectly depending the location , but not the time window set.
for my point of view there is no relation with home daily charge hours and travel planer .
I think this is not necessary to have to plan daily when you know that your time frame for cheap power bill is alway fix at your home.
For me it is a huge bug , as the pourcentage of charge as well as the time frame are in the same sub menu attached to the location were the car is parked and charged.
only the pourcentage is working ! Even you not schedule any charging plan.
I assume it is a huge bug from Audi's programmer that do not really understand what a electric car user is requesting.
Using this time frame within another Tavel schedule planer clock make totally no sense as you can also set this second one in the correct time you want .
Definitivly a bug from the programmers or a very stupid fonctionnality.
Looking the price of this toy , I'm very desapointed for many of the aspect of the car .
including charge power and many other fonctionnalities .
I always have to ask my local distributor and even Audi France , but they just not clearly replay .Seams that even Audi France don't know anything about there product.
i think this is a shame from Audi distribution network to not be able to support customers in there own products.
i have a E-Tron Avus extended with some additional options at 116000 Euros price based .....and I have some pain to swallow the Audi team behavior , looking the huge list of problem of this car .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone help me with details for how to set my e-tron to charge at hime during the hours of 12.30am and 4.30am - this is when my cheap electricity tariff kicks in. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello DAVEY
The Process is very stupid,
you must first program charging schedule , and then program you time frame in the advanced charge.
Then you must go back to the main previous screen and press to activate .
this will work anyway only one cycle, and next charging cycle will be not under the rules programed.
You must renew the plan everyday.
Very tiring .
Good luck
Fabrice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello DAVEY
The Process is very stupid,
you must first program charging schedule , and then program you time frame in the advanced charge.
Then you must go back to the main previous screen and press to activate .
this will work anyway only one cycle, and next charging cycle will be not under the rules programed.
You must renew the plan everyday.
Very tiring .
Good luck
Fabrice
Thanks Fabrice. Very much appreciated and i'll try that, although you'd think they would make it simpler and something you can just do on the My Audi App!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone help me with details for how to set my e-tron to charge at hime during the hours of 12.30am and 4.30am - this is when my cheap electricity tariff kicks in. Thanks!
***the logic is terrible, just bite the bullet and buy a home charger with the logic built in. It’s ridiculous that Audi can’t figure this out when Tesla has this perfected for years now. You will save money with the purchase home charger in the end due to all the tariffs on power charged in the wrong time frame when using the cars”logic” and the stock charging cable. I bought a 240v 50a charge point for use in the US, works perfect and automatically syncs with my power utility to get updated rates and time zones so it calculates fees on charges for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts