Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I road tripped our eTron from NorCal to Seattle when it was new. I noticed then that if I swapped from open windows to climate control, I would lose about 11 miles or so off the range meter (yes, I know this is an estimation...).

Last year, we noticed our range drop from a pretty decent 199-229 miles @ 100% to 169-189 (barely ever at the top of this range) @ 100%. I also noticed that activating the climate control (no AC, no recirculation) went from costing 11 or so miles has jumped to 20-35 miles. Activate the AC in normal or Eco mode costs another 6-7 miles. That's 40 some miles on the range vanished.

Anyone else seeing this sort of behavior.

for simplify:

100% charge, no climate: 211 miles (last time I tried this)
100% charge, activated climate: 173 miles (same charge as above, just turned it on)
100% charge, activated climate+ac: 167 miles.

Seems pretty lame.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'd say I've never seen my GOM miles affected to that degree by Climate control. The numbers you state, are those just after you turn on the car and head out? I find, especially after a charge, the reading on the GOM tends to shift around quite a bit before finally settling down after I start driving. Also, what kind of Efficiency are you seeing (the mi/kWh)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried pretty much all of these scenarios:

Open up door, start car, note mileage, press climate ON, note mileage: same as above 25-35 miles out the door.

Toggle climate OFF, miles come back, Toggle back ON, miles go down.

With Climate OFF, run car for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour: Toggle ON = lose 25-35 miles. Toggle OFF = comes back.

Like I said, seems excessive to lose 12-17% of range because the blower is ON (w/ no AC compressor being run) makes for a pretty uncomfortable experience (definitely falling short of expectations)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I agree those are excessive numbers. When you charge, does the State Of Charge gauge show your battery is at the targeted charge level? What is your typical Efficiency number? If it is up in the typical 2.3 kWh/mi + range for a warmed up vehicle, then it seems like something is freaking out your GOM. The range should still be there, just not reflected in the mileage number. I'll normally drive with the Climate Control ON, but sometimes turn the A/C OFF. Generally when I switch A/C to OFF that adds 4 or 5 miles to my GOM.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Like I said, seems excessive to lose 12-17% of range because the blower is ON (w/ no AC compressor being run) makes for a pretty uncomfortable experience (definitely falling short of expectations)
Agreed, with 80 SOC, switching A/C on in Eco mode take away 10 miles of range (180 down to 170 ish, roughly 6%). In full (non-eco) mode it drops 18-20 miles down (roughly 11%). I have never experienced 30 mile drop when AC is switched on. However, it seems to me that GOM takes into account ambient temperature in the range loss calculations. On colder days, range hit seems to be smaller than on these nice balmy 100F+ days. Not something that is exactly covered in the manual but it kind of does make sense.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ambient temp for those losses was 23C, so it should have been pretty optimal.

We are in Seattle, so the hills can be brutal if you are in city only...last year we could swing about 2.1kwh/mi in city and doing a longer haul trip we could swing 2.6-2.8kwh/mi.

Even with no climate on now, I am lucky to get 1.5-1.9kwh/mi in city and we got about 2.3-2.5 last longer highway trip.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah, those efficiency numbers just do not look right, and the GOM relies on them a lot to project your miles. Have you been charging your battery to 80%? You might want to talk to Audi service. Be sure you talk with an e tron technician.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, those efficiency numbers just do not look right, and the GOM relies on them a lot to project your miles. Have you been charging your battery to 80%? You might want to talk to Audi service. Be sure you talk with an e tron technician.
Yes, we normally had only gone to 100% when we were taking a longer drive...but with a range like 160 at @100%, (so you are not really feeling like doing a 100 mile roundtrip drive at 80% (when you start with 130 or less on the car with Seattle traffic and now HEAT).

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
Whats your ac setting? I notice significant impact when the fan is at high speed. Auto sucks a load of electric to start with but tapers off as the cabin cools/heats to the target temperature.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have always left it on Auto....the cabin at the time of measuring this load was not hot - in fact it was about 20ºC outside so the load was minimal.

Just did a short road/ferry trip with AC as it is 41ºC here today. Car at 69% now, 125 miles remaining. Crazy

·
Registered
186 Posts
Have you lays been charging your car to 100% or do you use the recommended 80% for daily commute and 100% for long trips? That range drop seems like the battery has degraded a bit.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
I have always left it on Auto....the cabin at the time of measuring this load was not hot - in fact it was about 20ºC outside so the load was minimal.

Just did a short road/ferry trip with AC as it is 41ºC here today. Car at 69% now, 125 miles remaining. Crazy
OK 69% of an 86.5kWh battery is about 59kWh meaning your range prediction of 125miles comes from a recent average of 2.1m/kWh.

Thats not too bad, not great either but 41°c is pretty hot so perhaps a bit more energy is being sucked by the battery's thermal management systems. That said some drivers would be happy to see 2.1m/kWh so it doesn't seem overly terrible.

You know your driving style and previous results though so if it feels wrong then perhaps get Audi to have a look there could be something up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just checked my mileage out after first time charging at Electrify America. First public charge. I had 199 miles on 90%. I drive with eco ac on. I drove it awhile then switched to auto. On eco it was 188 then I switched to auto and it jumped to 192 miles. I set ac at 73 and have been getting around 2.9 on the highway. I’m hoping this is going to stay this way but hope it helps in your quest to get more efficiently from yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts