Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone can shed some light on the effectiveness of the pre-conditioning.
I don't live in a cold climate, but will road trip to Colorado a few times a year.

How long does the battery preconditioning take? How much range does it save?
Also, does e-tron have a heat pump?

·
Registered
176 Posts
A bit tricky to answer. For one, no, Audi does not have a heat pump. I have the cold weather package and here in January in the Portland, Oregon, area a temperature in the morning might be 30F. However, my Audi is in a garage, so my starting temperature is maybe 40F. On a couple of occasions I used the MyAudi app to set a timer so that the car was fully charged and the cabin conditioned (using power drawn from the wall) for comfort, and I assume some battery heating as well. My understanding is that this ability to heat the cabin even when the car is turned off (and to set a timer for it) is available only with the auxiliary heating unit from the Cold Weather Package. On the occasions where I started out "cold"(no conditioning) the car would initially hemorrhage miles (or KWh) until I got the cabin warmed to a comfortable temperature. It took maybe 20 to 30 minutes before the energy consumption dropped to typical levels. If I did preconditioning, consumption dropped to typical levels in 5 to 10 minutes. For my Oregon driving, I would say I lost maybe 15 miles worth of charge by not preconditioning. If I were starting from being parked outdoors or in colder weather, I imagine the benefits would be much greater.

How long does the preconditioning cycle take? If you start it manually from the MMI screen, it will run 30 minutes, unless you turn it off. I don't know how long it takes to reach maximum benefit. This MMI start optiion is useful, too, I understand, if you are at a public charging station in the cold and don't want to freeze while charging your vehicle. Myself, I have always activated it using the timer. In that case it starts up shortly before the car is fully charged, which I set to complete by my departure time. Generally when I go out to the car the heater is still running.

·
Registered
33 Posts
AFAIK there is a heat pump but the cold weather package comes with two resistance heater blocks also. It's a guess but it may because heat pumps don't work well below certain temperatures.

Found this;

·
Registered
176 Posts
azlkk, thanks for the info! I had looked all over the literature and could find no reference to the nature of the heating/cooling systems. My experience with preconditioning and with what options you have is, of course, based on my car with the Cold Weather Package, but Audi gives terrible descriptions of just what that package does. My assumption that you only have the ability to condition the car via timer (or MMI screen at shutdown) is based on my reading in the manual about the "auxiliary climate control" options--which I take to mean the heater in the cold weather package (p 84-85 manual). Please set me straight if that is incorrect. It would be great to hear from someone who does not have the Cold Weather package with regards to preconditioning the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't know about cold weather operation living in Phoenix.😊

But the tech manual goes into all sorts of detail.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those from Europe. This is the GE variant (Too large for upload). Most should be the same, but clearly there will be some differences due to federal vehicle regulations. For instance the virtual mirrors. A good read if you are as sad and techie as me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts