Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its a little bit of the "early adopter" issues, not that its ok but don't give up yet. The overall experience is something and quite new, so some growing pains are unfortunately part of the deal.
I picked up my last car ('12 C7 A6) in September 2011 in Ingolstadt and when it was delivered to the US, it was one of the first 50 customer C7's to arrive in the US. Being in the first wave of a first-gen iteration, I expected gremlins like this and certainly got them. But, they consistently decreased over time as updates rolled out and the car was great for its life. I fully expect the same experience with the GT although, it may be even more amplified as this is not just an iteration of an existing topology. It's a fundamental transformation of an entire capability.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT Prestige Performance
51 Posts
After he braked the dash lit up with a variety of lights. The one that hung out and did not immediately go away indicated "AWD malfunction contact service” - yellow showing the wheels at an angle and the drive train. The car would not exceed 15 MPH. Quiet street and so we stopped, shut the car down. Turned it back on. He floored the accelerator… nothing. Still 15 MPH. Got to his house. Dropped him off and let the car sit for about 3-5 minutes. Got back in. Restarted the car. Back to no issues.
Interestingly, I had not seen the AWD error mentioned above until tonight and I was reminded of this post. It was also just after a launch but in my case I hit a rather large "pavement transition" just as the car shifted gears. However, the message cleared almost as soon as it showed up and there was never any speed governing. It really scared me after the above post ("oh no, I broke it!") but luckily no other issues during the rest of the drive.

It does make me think the interaction of all these systems is somewhat fragile and that the car expects a very smooth path during the first few seconds of launch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It does make me think the interaction of all these systems is somewhat fragile and that the car expects a very smooth path during the first few seconds of launch.
Well just like the i8 there is no physical linkage between the front and rear drivetrain so there has to be very complex coordination between the front one speed motor and the rear two speed one. So any small "glitch" of reading or sensor could result in a protective mode to prevent uncoordinated power. So tire rotation or misread could definitely trigger it.

·
Registered
2022 RS E Tron GT
26 Posts
So... I am going to try and hang in there. Had a long and arduous heart to heart with the Service manager as well as the GM. Hoping that if I am the one to be the driver to help work through the bugs they may have some latitude with loaners and what not as well. Keeping my fingers crossed as I truly do love the car when it is working.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
So... I am going to try and hang in there. Had a long and arduous heart to heart with the Service manager as well as the GM. Hoping that if I am the one to be the driver to help work through the bugs they may have some latitude with loaners and what not as well. Keeping my fingers crossed as I truly do love the car when it is working.
Did you get that in writing, signed with their blood?:)

I was having an infotainment issue in my 2019 SUV and spent two long sessions the my Dealer's "software expert" to try to debug it. We finally identified the problem, but it was an issue over which Audi had little control. Still, as a consolation they gave me an additional 6 mo of Connect Prime and 10GB/2 mo of Connect Prime Plus. A good dealer, who has accepted the "EV future", will treat you fairly. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Dealers, and people within a proactive Dealer, who simply wish that EV's would just GO AWAY. I've tended to cut some slack with Audi on this, since it is their first years of seriously working with EV's in the Wild. COVID severely cut their expansion of both Sales and Service, and the EV segment was hit particularly hard. In Nov 2019, when I got my SUV, I met my Dealers very first "etron tech" fresh from training in Germany....then COVID hit. My father always cautioned me to never buy a car in it's first model year (forget the fact that it is the first EV!) This is what I get for not listening to my father.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Completely dead.

My car was ready from the dealership last week. The PPF people picked it up and transported it to their shop. Was to be ready today. They were just finishing one last piece around the trunk, and went to open the trunk, and the car is completely dead. No response of any kind. It has 20 kms on it (12 miles), I literally have not driven it yet. I tried plugging in the charger to it to see if that might 'wake it up', but nothing. Tried both keys. Nothing.

Called Audi and their response was "no idea, tow it in". Well I lost it. Explained it hasn't been driven, the battery is at 92% (according to the myAudi app, which they still can't connect). So maybe you should come out and have a look at it (which they now are, after some yelling on my part)

Has anyone had this experience, and is there anything you can tell me that it might be? Because my dealership still knows absolutely nothing about the car (I have the first one in the city - well, I will if I ever get to drive it).

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It's likely your 12V battery is dead. The car cannot start up, or charge the HV battery if the 12V battery is dead. It may be that the PPF people left the car in a mode such that there was a constant drain on the 12V battery, fully draining it, and the 12V battery cannot be recharged via the car itself if the car is turned off. It can be jumpered. However, in the GT the 12V battery is in the frunk, and the frunk cannot be opened if the 12V battery is dead--go figure! Most likely you will have to have it towed.

You might want to check other threads on this site regarding the GT and 12V battery failures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you JNealCox,

From reading the other 'dead car' threads I figured it was probably the 12 volt battery. So I notified the PPF shop and they have put the trickle charger on it. So I will see in the morning if that was in fact it.

My concern, however, is that, if that does fix it, the dealership will probably leave it at that as solved. But I am not sure that it is solved at all.

Anyway, I'll see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The car had multiple failures in the 800v battery system resulting in the car requiring the replacement of 4 sets of battery packs and associated controllers. 3 months and its still away as had to wait for tooling to be made available and special sealant to re-seal the battery. After trying to re-energize the car last week it has now thrown up additional codes and needs a new heater for which the parts are now on back order. It would appear that the car has "overcharged" on the 7kw charger and has wiped out additional circuits in the vehicle. Supplying dealer have been fantastic as has the HVC who are effecting the repairs but the infrastructure to support these vehicles is of great concern, as is the confidence of now charging the vehicle to anything near 100%

·
Registered
82 Posts
The car had multiple failures in the 800v battery system resulting in the car requiring the replacement of 4 sets of battery packs and associated controllers. 3 months and its still away as had to wait for tooling to be made available and special sealant to re-seal the battery.
Are they building a replacement vehicle for you and will just return your existing unit to Germany? Have you been in a loaner the whole time?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Are they building a replacement vehicle for you and will just return your existing unit to Germany? Have you been in a loaner the whole time?
I was originally given a volvo xc90 from Enterprise but the local dealer kindly put me in a q7 after a month.
A new car has just been ordered now that the new faults have appeared on re-energising but due to continuing supply issues its a complete unknown.
I believe i will eventually get my car back at some stage but have little faith in it now due to lots of niggles and the issues I have had with it. Door rattles, dash rattles from labels still attached on assembly. Rogue bolt from the factory rolling around the heater duct resulting in the dash out. Paint coming off the side skirts etc etc
The plan is to have the replacement as back up and we will know more once we have timescales of both the repair and the new car availability.
Frustrating as I received in September and have endured a winter waiting for the nice weather and now its sat like a paper weight!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thank you JNealCox,

From reading the other 'dead car' threads I figured it was probably the 12 volt battery. So I notified the PPF shop and they have put the trickle charger on it. So I will see in the morning if that was in fact it.

My concern, however, is that, if that does fix it, the dealership will probably leave it at that as solved. But I am not sure that it is solved at all.

Anyway, I'll see what tomorrow brings.
How did they put it on the trickle charger if you can’t open the frunk when the battery was dead? Was the hood/bonnet already open because they were putting the PPF on?

If so, that MAY have been the reason the battery died to begin with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was originally given a volvo xc90 from Enterprise but the local dealer kindly put me in a q7 after a month.
A new car has just been ordered now that the new faults have appeared on re-energising but due to continuing supply issues its a complete unknown.
I believe i will eventually get my car back at some stage but have little faith in it now due to lots of niggles and the issues I have had with it. Door rattles, dash rattles from labels still attached on assembly. Rogue bolt from the factory rolling around the heater duct resulting in the dash out. Paint coming off the side skirts etc etc
The plan is to have the replacement as back up and we will know more once we have timescales of both the repair and the new car availability.
Frustrating as I received in September and have endured a winter waiting for the nice weather and now its sat like a paper weight!
Yikes. I guess this is why lemon laws exist. Assuming they have a version there in the UK. I would be equally nervous about the car as well. That alone would likely drive me to demand a new unit instead of a repair. At this point, I am not sure how Audi UK could say no.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How did they put it on the trickle charger if you can’t open the frunk when the battery was dead? Was the hood/bonnet already open because they were putting the PPF on?

If so, that MAY have been the reason the battery died to begin with.
So it turned out that the PPF shop couldn't get the trickle charger on because, of course, they were unable to get the frunk open. Boosted the fuse but that only opened the trunk. Then the Audi technician come and he said you can't use a regular trickle charger. He got the frunk open with the Audi l-ion maintainer. Then he was able to get a charge into the battery (it wasn't dead-dead, fortunately). So in the end, all good.

But it was interesting to learn that you cannot use a standard charger, only l-ion.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
So it turned out that the PPF shop couldn't get the trickle charger on because, of course, they were unable to get the frunk open. Boosted the fuse but that only opened the trunk. Then the Audi technician come and he said you can't use a regular trickle charger. He got the frunk open with the Audi l-ion maintainer. Then he was able to get a charge into the battery (it wasn't dead-dead, fortunately). So in the end, all good.

But it was interesting to learn that you cannot use a standard charger, only l-ion.
This may have to do with the fact that in the GT, the 12 V battery is Li. In the Quattro's it is lead/acid.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts