Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a setting somewhere that we could have the car creep forward like a normal car sometimes if I don’t put the break down completely the auto hold doesn’t kick in and the car could roll back I find it I’ve been annoying

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is there a setting somewhere that we could have the car creep forward like a normal car sometimes if I don’t put the break down completely the auto hold doesn’t kick in and the car could roll back I find it I’ve been annoying
There is no such setting; the E-tron does not have a creep mode. It is like driving a manual in that regard, so I have no issue with it. I do pay close attention to the auto hold light coming on in the dash to make sure the car will not start rolling unexpectedly.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No there is not.

That is one aspect of the car that I am not crazy about. In that regard it is pretty much like a manual transmission, but you don't even have the option of controlled movement by playing the gas pedal off the clutch pedal.

Note that in the etron there are two "auto holds" as you refer to them: 1) "Hill Hold Assist", which you can turn off in the MMI and is not gear dependent. (also, the HHA ON/OFF button can be added to your Shortcuts Menu for quick access). When it is active if you fully depress the brake pedal the mechanical gear will lock and hold you in place until you touch the accelerator pedal; 2) and, "Hold Assist", which your CANNOT turn off and IS gear dependent. Again, you have to fully depress the brake pedal to activate it, but it will only TEMPORARILY hold the car for a few seconds before it releases on its own, and it will activate with ONLY CERTAIN GEAR settings. If the car is in "D" Hold Assist will temporarily keep you from rolling BACKWARDS, but will let you roll FORWARDS. If the car is in "R" Hold Assist will temporarily keep your from rolling FORWARDS, but will let you roll BACKWARDS. The purpose of Hold Assist is to give you a little time to move your foot from brake to accelerator pedal.

All this makes parallel parking on a hill a bit problematic (not that it never is!). You would think you can just rely on HHA and HA to stop and hold you, which it can, but the "releases" are a bit jerky, making fine movements a problem.

One other braking feature the etron has that can help with hills is the Parking Brake Tab. You can take advantage of the fact the the Parking Brake, if set, will release when you touch the accelerator pedal. If you are on a hill (especially if you have a trailer) and are concerned about the car rolling back before you have enough forward momentum built up, you can pull up and HOLD the Parking Brake Tab. Transfer your foot to the accelerator and depress. When you feel you have enough forward momentum built up, release the Tab.

One last thing: if you use an automatic car wash, be sure to turn OFF Hill Hold Assist.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In my 2019, the “hold assist” can definitely be turned off and on. In fact, I have placed a shortcut on the lower screen to do just that. (The shortcut is abbreviated “Hold ass…” in English, so is NSFW and has already drawn some amused comments from passengers.)
@ThomasW and I were just talking about this very subject today at an EV meet-up in our town. I leave my Hold Assist engaged nearly all the time, and as @ThomasW mentioned above, I pay close attention to the green brake indicator light in the virtual cockpit, never taking my foot off the brake until I verify that Hold assist is engaged. If you use regeneration and a very light brake touch to stop the e-tron, the Hold Assist will NOT engage. In my experience, a firm brake application is necessary to set the hold assist.
Once you are accustomed to it, it is very intuitive.
I use the shortcut to temporarily disengage Hold Assist if I need fine control of the vehicle during parking, etc.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
In my 2019, the “hold assist” can definitely be turned off and on. In fact, I have placed a shortcut on the lower screen to do just that. (The shortcut is abbreviated “Hold ass…” in English, so is NSFW and has already drawn some amused comments from passengers.)
@ThomasW and I were just talking about this very subject today at an EV meet-up in our town. I leave my Hold Assist engaged nearly all the time, and as @ThomasW mentioned above, I pay close attention to the green brake indicator light in the virtual cockpit, never taking my foot off the brake until I verify that Hold assist is engaged. If you use regeneration and a very light brake touch to stop the e-tron, the Hold Assist will NOT engage. In my experience, a firm brake application is necessary to set the hold assist.
I use the shortcut to temporarily disengage Hold Assist if I need fine control of the vehicle during parking, etc.
OOPS! I got the names reversed. It is the Hold Assist that you can turn on and off and will not release until you touch the accelerator. The Hold Assist you cannot turn off and will release on its own after a couple of seconds. I made the name adjustments in the message above.

I pretty much keep Hold Assist on all the time, also, except when parking and when using an automatic car wash. There is some debate about whether it's best to have it ON or OFF during parallel parking. Myself, I prefer it off, since it does not require you to move a foot to the accelerator to disengage it, and, as I said, the release is a little jerky. Even if Hold Assist is turned off, Hill Hold Assist is still active, but, if before you move, you always shift gears to read in the direction you are going to move, it will not engage and you will smoothly roll.

·
Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
69 Posts
When you feel you have enough forward momentum built up, release the Tab.
Why not engage the brake without holding it? Once you engage manual break (the tab), pressing the accelerator pedal will disengage it automatically
have placed a shortcut on the lower screen to do just that.
I've done the same :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Why not engage the brake without holding it? Once you engage manual break (the tab), pressing the accelerator pedal will disengage it automatically
Particularly if you have a trailer attached, and you have set the parking brake, as soon as you touch the accelerator the car will begin to roll back and you have to depend on your judgment and reflexes as to how hard to IMMEDIATELY press the accelerator A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT to stop rolling back and to begin moving forward. If you pull up and hold the tab as you touch the accelerator, you will eventually feel the car TRYING to move forward. If you release the tab then, you will immediately move forward, all without having to quickly jam on the accelerator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same here. When our car delivered, our sales person made sure to have us create the shortcut. Really glad they took the time out to go over all of that. And now, we’re so accustomed to this, that when we drive an ICE vehicle, holding the break is stressful. 😵‍💫 lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't find Hold Assist helped very much if im on flat ground and don't push the brakes hard enough the car is in neutral and it can role back to the point my backup cam comes on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a potential etron owner. Reading this thread concerns me as creeping backward seems problematic as I do take the car to many places including mountains and San Francisco city (it’s all up and down streets). Is this going to be a problem? Why would they design it like that?

Anyone experienced this in Taycan? That is my other alternate expensive option.

·
Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
69 Posts
I am a potential etron owner. Reading this thread concerns me as creeping backward seems problematic as I do take the car to many places including mountains and San Francisco city (it’s all up and down streets). Is this going to be a problem? Why would they design it like that?

Anyone experienced this in Taycan? That is my other alternate expensive option.
Don't worry, this is not a problem, just something that you'll need to get used to, we've all been there. Although this solution by Audi does feel surprising.
Also, stopping on a hill with Hold Assist on can feel very weird due to brakes making a sound while clamping your pads. But with Hold Assist, the car will not move until you press acceleration pedal.
Now there is another way of driving through hills - with Hold Assist off. In this case, you stop as usual and KEEP your foot on the brakes, but when you need to start, the Hill Hold Assist will keep you vehicle stationary BRIEFLY for you to transfer your foot to the acc pedal.
Parallel parking in a hill is another topic of debate in the e-Tron forum and is covered in many other posts.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Having dealt with a manual transmission in SF for several years, I would say that, yes, parallel parking the etron on a hill in SF would be a problem. You don't even have the ability to play the clutch and gas pedal off each other to control backwards speed. All you can do is coast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts