Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading through the manual and do not seem to find any hits at all. Is it at all possible to configure the car to behave like a regular ICE with automatic transmission, i.e., when releasing the brake pedal and without pressing the accelerator, to have the car creep up slowly?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2020 E-Tron 55 Launch Edit for her
12 Posts
No creep mode, but you can set the regen to manual and then select max regen - giving a 1-pedal mode

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could not care less about the one pedal driving, honestly. I like my accelerator and brake pedals all fine, thank you :)

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
207 Posts
It's still not quite one-pedal on my 2019, more like hard engine braking. I would definitely use one-pedal, creep, and coast for different driving scenarios.

Of all the redundant features the car has, you'd think they might include a couple additional drive modes. The hard part is having enough regeneration power, which it already has.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Then use your right pedal to creep.
The problem is you can't go as quickly from accelerator to brake, which is what you have to do when you don't have creep. This makes it a bit daunting hard to pull up very close to something (i.e. a garage with a tight fit) as you have to give it just enough juice to move and then quick stop with the brake before you hit something. I understand that creep is a byproduct of a torque convertor in an auto transmission, but it happens to be a very useful accident. The e-tron is definitely harder to park without it because you can't use the brake to finesse into a spot.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
467 Posts
The problem is you can't go as quickly from accelerator to brake, which is what you have to do when you don't have creep. This makes it a bit daunting hard to pull up very close to something (i.e. a garage with a tight fit) as you have to give it just enough juice to move and then quick stop with the brake before you hit something. I understand that creep is a byproduct of a torque convertor in an auto transmission, but it happens to be a very useful accident. The e-tron is definitely harder to park without it because you can't use the brake to finesse into a spot.

-Jonathan
I agree this is an area that needs some work. I'll use Manual Regen/2nd level to let me creep into a space (a little like One Pedal driving) and that works pretty well on level ground; however, because the car "coasts" so well, rolling backwards or forwards is a real problem on inclines. Having Hold Assist activated, while nice in holding the car on an incline, faulters because it can make the motion jerky when trying to finesse, which is one reason I have Hold Assist on my shortcut screen---but who remembers to turn it off in those times? Moving out of a tight parallel parking space on an incline is the trickiest, since the car will start to roll as soon as you take your foot off the brake (or if Hold Assist is on, as soon as you touch the accelerator) . I have not used it much, but as suggested in the Audi Manual, when parked on a downward incline, you can hold the car in place by physically pulling up on the Parking Brake lever and holding it, while you shift into Reverse and move your foot from brake peddle to accelerator peddle. Depress the accelerator peddle a little to build up some reverse energy, and then let go of the Parking brake lever. The same idea is supposed to work if you are on an upward incline, except you would be shifting into Drive. Overall, this car is less than ideal when it comes to slow, finessed driving/handling.

·
Registered
2020 E-Tron 55 Launch Edit for her
12 Posts
Yeah my reply was a bit flippant.

The E-Tron is my wife’s so I don’t drive it daily, but I have not noticed any real problem. I have tried manuovering with the regen set to max - this gives you 1 pedal control, but braking isn’t instant or significant at very low speeds. As noted above the car coasts very easily so you can get it moving and let it roll into position with your foot hovering over the brake pedal.

On any significant slopes hill-hold is your friend, and yes it is tricky, but that’s the case with an auto & torque converter anyway - creep isn’t enough to overcome a steep hill so you need to be pressing the accelerator to move and quickly transition to the brake.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Or develop your left foot technique. :unsure:
I think it is more complicated than that. If you are in a tight space pointed down hill, even with Hold Assist on and in reverse, you can roll a bit forward before the accelerator kicks in with enough power to hold you in place or back you up. In the ETron, even with setting the paddle shifters at max, when you touch the accelerator the car instantly starts to free-roll without any help from engine drag, etc, that you have in an automatic. In a manual transmission, it is the situation where you would quickly go to balancing the clutch and gas peddle to give you the finesse to instantly maintain position (that is, if you have developed that wonderful bonding between man and machine that you get only when you really know your manual transmission car!). Using the Parking Tab trick lets you hold things in place until you can get a little potential energy built up to start in reverse. Frankly, it's a situation I hate being in, period!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, it is also complicated when you're doing precision maneuvering in a right garage - eTron is not exactly a small car to move around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts