Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer wants a $2000 deposit to order a Q4 eTron and they are saying it may not be refundable. What gives?
VW requires a $500 deposit and it is fully refundable.
Has anyone else had any experience like my dealer?
Wallyf

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer wants a $2000 deposit to order a Q4 eTron and they are saying it may not be refundable. What gives?
VW requires a $500 deposit and it is fully refundable.
Has anyone else had any experience like my dealer?
Wallyf
Yes--my dealer in Dallas required a $2500 deposit who told me he "thinks"it will be refundable, but now I'm second guessing it, especially since they can't even place an order with Audi currently!
Thinking about requesting my deposit back!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes--my dealer in Dallas required a $2500 deposit who told me he "thinks"it will be refundable, but now I'm second guessing it, especially since they can't even place an order with Audi currently!
Thinking about requesting my deposit back!
I test drove a 2022 and liked it. my concern is that with the parts shortage, some options may not come in. I don’t want a half completed Q4.
Since the dealer can take my rejected Q4, mark it up $5000 to $10000, and find a willing buyer, I think they are not fair.
Wallyf

·
Registered
10 Posts
I paid $5k non-refundable on an e-tron SUV order here in Vancouver, heard other dealers charged the same amount here in BC as well, so I think they just do this because they can. I asked my sales rep why it was non-refundable he said "because it's a factory order".

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should be able to negotiate. First dealer wanted $2k, called a second that said $500 and bought at third that was willing to take $500 after I asked why they wanted or needed more.

Especially since production is an estimated year away.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You should be able to negotiate. First dealer wanted $2k, called a second that said $500 and bought at third that was willing to take $500 after I asked why they wanted or needed more.

Especially since production is an estimated year away.
Yeah this is a good point, it's not like trying to secure a vehicle they've got coming in within the next few months where they can kinda dictate terms (I just put down a several thousand dollar refundable deposit to secure what must be one of the last 2022s coming from the factory).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I paid $5k non-refundable on an e-tron SUV order here in Vancouver, heard other dealers charged the same amount here in BC as well, so I think they just do this because they can. I asked my sales rep why it was non-refundable he said "because it's a factory order".
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel Car

I test drove a grey sportback demo at Boundary Audi Burnaby this week. Deposit was $1000 fully refundable. They said it only becomes non refundable until Audi verifies your build usually 6 months before delivery and even at that point they will let you decide if you want to go ahead and take the build or reject and get a refund.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any reputable dealer that isn't playing games and screwing their customers has refundable deposits. I buy and sell about 3 or 4 new cars a year and every single time it is a fully refundable deposit until the order actually gets accepted and the car is being built. Even then most reputable dealers will give you your deposit back because they know the car will sell in a day anyway. I had a 2500.00 deposit on a lotus emira and the dealer said and even had it in his paperwork fully refundable until order is built. Even then he was like he didn't care if it showed up and i wanted my deposit back because he said he would sell the car in about 5 mins anyway if i didn't want it. Bottom line if they say they don't know or it wont be refundable I would seriously not put your money in that dealership because they are just playing games.

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 6758

I test drove a grey sportback demo at Boundary Audi Burnaby this week. Deposit was $1000 fully refundable. They said it only becomes non refundable until Audi verifies your build usually 6 months before delivery and even at that point they will let you decide if you want to go ahead and take the build or reject and get a refund.
Audi Boundry is my dealer who charged us $5000 non-refundable. Back in May the ETA for Q4 was 1-2 years that's why we settled on an e-tron SUV delivery in 6 months. How's the ETA on an MY23 Q4 now?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,342 Posts
In many US states, by law, all deposits are refundable. Dealers can claim all they want but I'd check with the state laws. In Colorado, state law is very clear - all deposits are refundable until the final purchase is concluded, at which time deposit goes against the payment for the product. When confronted, the local dealer backed off from "nonrefundable" claims very quickly. I think it is a sham for the uninformed to keep them tied to the order, nothing more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talked to my dealer today about the $2000 deposit. He says that each dealer gets a limited number of allocations. If I order a Q4, I am taking one of his allocations and may prevent another customer from ordering one. As such, they want to insure that I am serious. I could cancel and get my deposit back before the car goes into production, if it will not match the build sheet(parts shortage).
This sounds reasonable. I have test driven a Q4 that is close to what I would order and like the vehicle.
Wallyf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Talked to my dealer today about the $2000 deposit.
I told my dealer that I am going to hold off ordering for a while. I can’t see ordering a Q4 and not seeing it for 1 to 1 1/2 years. By then, what else will be available with all the options that I want like Homelink, etc. If the deposit was fully refundable, I might order the Q4.
I wish Audi had an ordering process like the VW ID.4. That way the dealer is kinda on the side.
Wallyf

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any reputable dealer that isn't playing games and screwing their customers has refundable deposits. I buy and sell about 3 or 4 new cars a year and every single time it is a fully refundable deposit until the order actually gets accepted and the car is being built. Even then most reputable dealers will give you your deposit back because they know the car will sell in a day anyway. I had a 2500.00 deposit on a lotus emira and the dealer said and even had it in his paperwork fully refundable until order is built. Even then he was like he didn't care if it showed up and i wanted my deposit back because he said he would sell the car in about 5 mins anyway if i didn't want it. Bottom line if they say they don't know or it wont be refundable I would seriously not put your money in that dealership because they are just playing games.
Well said! I never give a deposit let alone a non refundable one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Audi Boundry is my dealer who charged us $5000 non-refundable. Back in May the ETA for Q4 was 1-2 years that's why we settled on an e-tron SUV delivery in 6 months. How's the ETA on an MY23 Q4 now?
I was at the dealer today ordering my Q4 and they said a customized factory order is $5000 non refundable but if you order off the build sheet with specific packages and options the refundable $1000 deposit applies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts