Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a 2019 eTron SUV purchased new in late 2020. I have had 3 instances where I have been loading groceries into the back of the car when the rear hatch unexpectedly and spontaneously starts closing. And when it hit me, doesn’t stop unless you exert a lot of force (like lifting a 50lbs bag of potatoes). Although it does stop of you resist hard enough, it doesn’t return/ retract to the full open position...it stays where you stopped it and you have to manually push it back up. The last time this happened I had the key fob in my front pocket and may have inadvertently pushed the lock button against the bumper as I leaned in. But still, I would think that the hatch door would stop or retract as soon as it encountered minor resistance or obstruction. Anyone else experience this? Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I noticed that on the 2 I test drove. I was very surprised that it didn't stop its closure with a fair amount of resistance from my hand & arm. I agree, certainly with children, this could be potentially dangerous. The only reason I tested this was that I saw a reviewer try it and he expressed some surprise that it didn't stop its closure with his resistance.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
28 Posts
We have had a 2019 eTron SUV purchased new in late 2020. I have had 3 instances where I have been loading groceries into the back of the car when the rear hatch unexpectedly and spontaneously starts closing. And when it hit me, doesn’t stop unless you exert a lot of force (like lifting a 50lbs bag of potatoes). Although it does stop of you resist hard enough, it doesn’t return/ retract to the full open position...it stays where you stopped it and you have to manually push it back up. The last time this happened I had the key fob in my front pocket and may have inadvertently pushed the lock button against the bumper as I leaned in. But still, I would think that the hatch door would stop or retract as soon as it encountered minor resistance or obstruction. Anyone else experience this? Thanks!
My e-tron has a motion sensor under the rear bumper so that you can wave your foot if your hands are full to open the rear hatch. I found this troubling when loading the vehicle for the exact reasons you have stated in your post.

Reactions: TJL

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm always very careful to keep my legs and feet away from the area where the bumper sensor is located when loading and unloading. There is another thread on here somewhere about the sensor sensitivity needing to be adjusted.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
232 Posts
Happens frequently. I am very careful to keep legs and feet away from the sensor and lean in, so I can only imagine it's picking up light reflections.
Dealers offer no help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If anyone gets this fixed by Audi dealership, please let me know

This is very annoying and is the low point of my weekly shopping experience

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
This is very annoying and is the low point of my weekly shopping experience
I have the opposite expedience - it seems super hard to find the right spot for the car to open the hatch this way. Since it looks stupid to stand there and kick around, I just open via key or hatch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Much the same experience. The whole point of the 'kick to open' feature is that it makes life easier. In practice I have found that opening the driver's door and pressing the button is both easier and quicker than trying to find the exact foot=spot at the back.

I think that I would be mega-frustrated if I was trying to do it in the rain!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
It is key 95% for me, precisely because of the muck on the back of the car. Winter roads are dirty and cars get dirty as well. If I can help it, i will avoid the back handle at all cost.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
232 Posts
I don't want the foot sensor at all. They did a poor job with the implementation. I must have been hit by it a dozen times by now.

Dealership just says "there are no faults so we can't do anything."

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have the opposite expedience - it seems super hard to find the right spot for the car to open the hatch this way. Since it looks stupid to stand there and kick around, I just open via key or hatch.
Early on I used to have a lot of trouble getting it to work. Then I found out that I really had to use a rapid, forceful swipe with my foot, a swipe almost touching the car's underside sort of towards the driver's side. In other words "kick it like you really hate it!" Now it works 99.9% of the time. I have not had any "death by Rear Hatch" events.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have felt the kick to open thing is just a bit silly. If your arms are full, who wants to be kicking to open the trunk. I much prefer the KIA way, stand by the door it opens in a couple of seconds. Yes, I know that standing back there while chatting could set it off but at least you won’t be off balance carrying heavy stuff, while kicking to get it open.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have felt the kick to open thing is just a bit silly. If your arms are full, who wants to be kicking to open the trunk. I much prefer the KIA way, stand by the door it opens in a couple of seconds. Yes, I know that standing back there while chatting could set it off but at least you won’t be off balance carrying heavy stuff, while kicking to get it open.
Coming from a Hyundai with the stand behind the car option, it's the worst. If I took my time walking behind the car, it'd open when I didn't want it to. It was incredibly annoying. I just deactivated it (which I wish I could easily do with the kick to open here).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts