Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have had a 2019 eTron SUV purchased new in late 2020. I have had 3 instances where I have been loading groceries into the back of the car when the rear hatch unexpectedly and spontaneously starts closing. And when it hit me, doesn’t stop unless you exert a lot of force (like lifting a 50lbs bag of potatoes). Although it does stop of you resist hard enough, it doesn’t return/ retract to the full open position...it stays where you stopped it and you have to manually push it back up. The last time this happened I had the key fob in my front pocket and may have inadvertently pushed the lock button against the bumper as I leaned in. But still, I would think that the hatch door would stop or retract as soon as it encountered minor resistance or obstruction. Anyone else experience this? Thanks!
We had a similar issue 2-3 times. Cannot replicate it. First time thought I might have pressed the key but the second and third time it was clear it was doing it on its own. Sometimes the suspension also adjusts. I am in 2019 Prestige.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Early on I used to have a lot of trouble getting it to work. Then I found out that I really had to use a rapid, forceful swipe with my foot, a swipe almost touching the car's underside sort of towards the driver's side. In other words "kick it like you really hate it!" Now it works 99.9% of the time. I have not had any "death by Rear Hatch" events.
JNealCox, Having pretty much given up on the whole foot-operated hatch thing I decided to give your technique a final try. Magic! It seems to work.

I had been gently balancing on one leg and delicately waving around underneath the car, giving it a kick "like you really hate it" seems to work a treat. Thanks for that.

Let's see how things go but at present you have restored my faith in the Audi design team.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There does seem to be a TSB on this (which in my experience here, dealers don't look up for whatever reason).

This is for 2019 e-trons

Condition
Customer states:
  •  The rear lid closes without any input.
  •  At the time of the concern, the key was in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle’s trunk. Workshop findings:
 No applicable DTCs are stored.
Technical Background
Unintentional deployment of the gesture-controlled rear lid because of sensitive triggering.
Production Solution
Updated ZDC in the rear lid control module, J938 (address word 006E).

Service
SVM Update Instructions
1. Follow all instructions in TSB 2011732: 00 Software Version Management (SVM), operating instructions.
2. Update the rear lid control module, J938 (address word 006E) using the SVM action code as listed in the table
below, if necessary:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts