Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have had a 2019 eTron SUV purchased new in late 2020. I have had 3 instances where I have been loading groceries into the back of the car when the rear hatch unexpectedly and spontaneously starts closing. And when it hit me, doesn’t stop unless you exert a lot of force (like lifting a 50lbs bag of potatoes). Although it does stop of you resist hard enough, it doesn’t return/ retract to the full open position...it stays where you stopped it and you have to manually push it back up. The last time this happened I had the key fob in my front pocket and may have inadvertently pushed the lock button against the bumper as I leaned in. But still, I would think that the hatch door would stop or retract as soon as it encountered minor resistance or obstruction. Anyone else experience this? Thanks!
We had a similar issue 2-3 times. Cannot replicate it. First time thought I might have pressed the key but the second and third time it was clear it was doing it on its own. Sometimes the suspension also adjusts. I am in 2019 Prestige.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Early on I used to have a lot of trouble getting it to work. Then I found out that I really had to use a rapid, forceful swipe with my foot, a swipe almost touching the car's underside sort of towards the driver's side. In other words "kick it like you really hate it!" Now it works 99.9% of the time. I have not had any "death by Rear Hatch" events.
JNealCox, Having pretty much given up on the whole foot-operated hatch thing I decided to give your technique a final try. Magic! It seems to work.

I had been gently balancing on one leg and delicately waving around underneath the car, giving it a kick "like you really hate it" seems to work a treat. Thanks for that.

Let's see how things go but at present you have restored my faith in the Audi design team.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There does seem to be a TSB on this (which in my experience here, dealers don't look up for whatever reason).

This is for 2019 e-trons

Condition
Customer states:
  •  The rear lid closes without any input.
  •  At the time of the concern, the key was in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle’s trunk. Workshop findings:
 No applicable DTCs are stored.
Technical Background
Unintentional deployment of the gesture-controlled rear lid because of sensitive triggering.
Production Solution
Updated ZDC in the rear lid control module, J938 (address word 006E).

Service
SVM Update Instructions
1. Follow all instructions in TSB 2011732: 00 Software Version Management (SVM), operating instructions.
2. Update the rear lid control module, J938 (address word 006E) using the SVM action code as listed in the table
below, if necessary:

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have had a 2019 eTron SUV purchased new in late 2020. I have had 3 instances where I have been loading groceries into the back of the car when the rear hatch unexpectedly and spontaneously starts closing. And when it hit me, doesn’t stop unless you exert a lot of force (like lifting a 50lbs bag of potatoes). Although it does stop of you resist hard enough, it doesn’t return/ retract to the full open position...it stays where you stopped it and you have to manually push it back up. The last time this happened I had the key fob in my front pocket and may have inadvertently pushed the lock button against the bumper as I leaned in. But still, I would think that the hatch door would stop or retract as soon as it encountered minor resistance or obstruction. Anyone else experience this? Thanks!
YES! I've had they happen and glad to read thru the replies. I'll watch to see if it happens because my foot accidentally gets too close the to sensor. I love the open w/ your foot feature and it's worked okay - but the expected closing and not stopping has hurt!!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Better question - is there a way to disable the darn feature? When I put a bike carrier and try to put the safety pin, the whole hatch opens repeatedly even time I reach under and try to manipulate around the hatch through hole. It is dangerous and luckily the carrier was folded so that it would not damage the hitch when it opened up unexpectedly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Better question - is there a way to disable the darn feature? When I put a bike carrier and try to put the safety pin, the whole hatch opens repeatedly even time I reach under and try to manipulate around the hatch through hole. It is dangerous and luckily the carrier was folded so that it would not damage the hitch when it opened up unexpectedly.
Obdeleven appears to be able to disable it

·
Registered
132 Posts
I searched, found nothing, do you have a link to show how and where to change?

DISABLE AUTOMATIC KICK-TO-OPEN REAR LID
  • For e-tron with foot gesture under rear bumper to open/close rear lid.
  • After tweak, automatic opening and closing rear lid is disabled
  • Might be useful if you have "nervous" sensors thet opens and closes when you dont want it to.
Adaptation
Control unit: 46 Central Module Comfort System
Name: Personalization settings vehicle
Values:
Rear lid unlocking through rear lid opening sensors:
Old value: On
New value: Off

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
One more question - is there any information on how many credits are needed to have access to this feature? The ODBeleven website seems to be pretty silent on what and how many credits are needed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
One more question - is there any information on how many credits are needed to have access to this feature? The ODBeleven website seems to be pretty silent on what and how many credits are needed.
I am not an obd11 expert, but I thought the credits were only required if using one of their pre-configured apps. I definitely could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
OK, I guess I will give it a try and see where it goes. credits can be bought on-demand as long as I have the unit itself. Thank you once again

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
i'm currently on a call with US Audi eTron Support, 844-573-8766, M-F 10-7 EST for the Rear Decklid TSB # 2058454/1 dated 2/11/20 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171811-0001.pdf

I explained the situation that several dealers have denied this SW update since "unable to replicate customer concern", "working same as similar model", and the latest "VIN not applicable" despite the TSB stating VIN range "all".

So the eTron Support agent is currently on hold to talk to my Audi SA since I haven't picked it up yet. (evidently, the multiple DTC/faults in various systems- there's a pending SW solution, but won't be available until Q1 2022 and I will be notified when it becomes available. The #1 Audi tech in the US worked on my eTron and said my battery range of 187 @ 100% was considered normal since they shot a video explaining that when they turned AC off- range increased to 192 and with my stored long term efficiency of 2.3 x 83.5=192 was dead on in calculation).

I was on hold for 25 minutes and after talking to the agent where he explained that if the Audi Service couldn't replicate the problem- the dealer would not be compensated by Audi for SW update0 even though the TSB states "customer complaint", no DTC stored, he reluctantly took down the specific TSB and is currently on hold trying to talk to my local Audi SA. (could probably been avoided if the Audi service had noted what version my SW was current to what the "update" was (this ZDC module was not found on my OBD Eleven scan).

Will update after I hear back from him. (not really hopeful that anything will come about from this).

Reactions: polyphonic

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
I was going to do a few OBD tweaks, but I think @calbear92 said they were threatening to void the warranty due to that?
The Service manager didn't "threaten", but he asked me to take out the changes before the #1 tech performed a complete SVM/GFF scan so that there was no way that a TD1 would be triggered. It was a friendly nudge.

The tech noted that the start up screen on my eTron was Audi Sport (instead of Nav +). So he checked reset to Factory, which made them happy. I was going to reset the few apps/changes, but I kept the rest of my changes that weren't "reset, and eTron is at service and no issues.

Reactions: polyphonic

·
Registered
206 Posts
eTron support talked to my local SA, the #1 etron tech, and the service manager.

Without being able to replicate the issue there- they won't be able to do any updates. This TSB evidently is still not for my specific eTron. {I was told if it happens again- video it- and then, bring to dealer service- May be able to consider doing something.

Oh well.

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
39 Posts
@mmmzon We use the model year to determine if a TSB is applicable to a specific vehicle. On our ELSAPro screen, whenever we open up a TSB while we are in Specific VIN, there are separate tabs on the TSB that you don't see on the TSBs online, say from the NHTSA, that show which models and years the TSB applies to.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts