Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

I've recently taken delivery of a lovely E-Tron 55 Launch Edition but unfortunately I'm experiencing some strange vibrations from within the car.

I can only describe it as a sort of 'drone' or 'booming' sound where it's possible to hear and feel deep vibrations reverberating in the cabin, which are more pronounced at lower speeds (up to about 40 mph) and on slightly rougher surfaces. It's all fairly subtle but once you tune into it, you can easily feel and hear the vibrations. You can feel them through the steering wheel a little bit, but more easily through vibrations on the MMI screen and centre console. It's a little bit like when you get 'buffering' noise at certain speeds after lowering a single window, but this is much more subtle. It gets to the point where the pressure in the car feels like it has changed and my ears start to block. Most of my passengers also notice this.

I'm intrigued to know if anyone else experienced this or are you aware of a known or specific fault or issue?

It goes without saying that all cars suffer from NVH to some extent, but this is like nothing I have ever experienced and is quite uncomfortable.

I'm intrigued to see whether others have experienced similar issues.

Thanks!

Nic99

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Yes, I have noticed this. It's a bit boomy, low frequency rumble, but different from hatch buffeting. It's a weird sensation.

Initial thoughts: tires (pressure too high?), air suspension working overtime, air pressure imbalance (HVAC?), the sheer weight of the vehicle.

Did you talk with the dealer about it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have noticed this. It's a bit boomy, low frequency rumble, but different from hatch buffeting. It's a weird sensation.

Initial thoughts: tires (pressure too high?), air suspension working overtime, air pressure imbalance (HVAC?), the sheer weight of the vehicle.

Did you talk with the dealer about it?
Thanks for the reply.

The car went in to Audi for inspection. No 'fault' found. I was loaned another E-Tron for 3 days which presented the exact same rumble and boom symptoms. The loaner E-Tron was a 50 base model, as opposed to my 55, and had smaller wheels and tyres, no sunroof and normal mirrors as opposed to VM compared to my car. I was wondering if it was the wheels or tyres, but have now proved otherwise.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can't say I have experienced this. If it is suspension related, I generally keep my car in Efficiency mode all the time. Maybe I'd have a problem on another suspension setting. The tires are properly mounted and balanced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's strangely subtle, but once you tune into it, you can't miss it. I suspect some people will detect it while others will not. I've found some more info on the same issue:

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
@JNealCox
My car is new, and outside of the highway I need to use Auto or Dynamic (efficiency is too low).
I'm going to add tire mount/balance to the list when I bring this up with the dealer.

@Nic99
It's interesting that the OP of the other thread said it was only in the driver's seat. Can you test that? I won't be able to confirm for a few days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@JNealCox @polyphonic this is not a wheel/tyre issue. My e-tron is on 21" wheels and the loan car was on 20" wheels. Neither is this due to chassis mode; it's the same on all settings.

@polyphonic I'm afraid this is nothing to do with the driver's door. This is an issue with the overall chassis and suspension.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
That is deeply disappointing. I never came across this in other cars either, nor was it mentioned in any reviews.

They need to provide a fix for this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. I drove various ICE cars over the weekend, back-to-back, with passengers in order to compare the 'boom' sensation of the e-tron. None of them had anything like the same sensation. I wouldn't expect this to be raised in short-term test reviews but I am surprised it's not been raised in the longer-term reviews which I certainly read. If you're driving an e-tron on purely billiard table smooth roads then I suspect you wouldn't notice it. It's really frustrating but I don't hold much hope for a fix. :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
I really can't say I had anything like this from my 2019 E tron 55. I have read elsewhere about booming and air pressure pulsing in the cabin...is it like that? The only time in my life that I recall anything like that is when I apparently had a sunroof opened too much. Then I had pulsing ear-throbbing booming. I wonder if you are experience air pressure changes in the cabin somehow. These cars are SO well-sealed! Do you experience the problem when the windows are cracked open a little?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Speaking from my own experience, it's a little like that though it is clearly coming from below. It's a deep bass rumble.
Like Nic99 said it's more audible at lower speeds.

I was driving around yesterday thinking 'this cannot be normal.' It's quite uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
I was spitballing earlier as to the source, but it really sounds like the suspension or chassis. Everything Nic99 described is accurate for me. In fact, I was going to start a thread but he beat me to it.

Each time a wheel adjusts to the road you get an ultra-low frequency rumble. On an average quality road this can be several rumbles per second. It becomes less at highway speeds, to the point where it might be one every few seconds or more. It's much more tolerable. The rumble on 20-40ish mph roads is uncomfortable, borderline painful. Almost like your head is inside a symphonic bass drum. Tonight I tried driving with cracked windows and various HVAC modes to see if the air seal had anything to do with it, but it had no bearing on the rumble.

I spent time in 4 other cars over the past few weeks, including a Q3 loaner with air suspension and didn't notice this at all. The suspension sounds are lighter in other vehicles, far less bassy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was spitballing earlier as to the source, but it really sounds like the suspension or chassis. Everything Nic99 described is accurate for me. In fact, I was going to start a thread but he beat me to it.

Each time a wheel adjusts to the road you get an ultra-low frequency rumble. On an average quality road this can be several rumbles per second. It becomes less at highway speeds, to the point where it might be one every few seconds or more. It's much more tolerable. The rumble on 20-40ish mph roads is uncomfortable, borderline painful. Almost like your head is inside a symphonic bass drum. Tonight I tried driving with cracked windows and various HVAC modes to see if the air seal had anything to do with it, but it had no bearing on the rumble.

I spent time in 4 other cars over the past few weeks, including a Q3 loaner with air suspension and didn't notice this at all. The suspension sounds are lighter in other vehicles, far less bassy.
It's really odd. The two e-trons I have driven have both exhibited the exact same symptoms as @polyphonic is describing. And those two e-trons were very different in spec. In fact they couldn't have been more different including wheels and tyres.

Everyone I have taken for a drive in my e-tron has experienced and is able to clearly hear and feel the booming. Some find it very uncomfortable to the point where they need to get out of the car. Some experience their ears becoming pressurised. Others simply find it irritating. Personally I can't drive the car as I develop a headache within minutes.

Now, whether this is the same on all e-trons I have no idea. Perhaps it is. Perhaps some people can't hear the 'boom'. But that seems odd as nearly everyone I have had ride along as passengers have experienced it. However, if you're driving on purely perfectly smooth roads, then it's possible you won't notice it. And keep in mind this is relatively subtle (to some extent) but once you tune into it, it's hard to tune out! And as I say, it's pretty much unbearable for both myself and my family. I wish we could find a solution, but Audi have tried for 3 days and concluded that it is 'normal' as their other e-trons demo vehicles have exactly the same issue.

As an aside, I spent some time over the weekend driving other cars and I experienced nothing like this sensation in any of them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Absolutely a silly question coming up here I know, but is it the sound the car makes for legal reasons so people can hear the EV? ie is it generated from speakers underneath and hence the vibrations you feel too? Are they in need of adjustment at all?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car does not have AVAS fitted. It's not a requirement until later in 2021 in the EU.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts