Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wow this is a REALLY interesting article. Again, EV's are different beasts entirely. For the problems described in this thread the most intriguing line from the Results section is:

"In the case of the Audi E-tron, thanks to the DoE, it is clear that the two front bushes of the electric drive have the greatest impact".

I wonder if there is some manufacturing variability or defect.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
136 Posts
Yes! This has got to be the problem.

From TSB 40 20 03 2058489/2 March 12, 2020:
"Customer states: "They can hear rumbling, squeaking, creaking or similar noises from the front end when driving on uneven roads. The noises can possibly be heard and felt in the foot well or behind the dash panel."

Their service guideline (for the above complaint) was to "replace the hydro-bush on the guide link in pairs." It's unclear that this TSB is directed towards body boom though.
I have to reiterate that I've never felt this sensation in any car before, including many other dual motor EVs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Possibly so! This type of harmonic suppression might already be in use. Looking at Fig 7, though, this modeling seems to assume a stable body and wheel arrangement. The problem people experience generally is on rough and/or uneven surfaces. Even the stable situation would require a good deal of computing power, so imagine the increased complexity and required response times for real time compensation if you start throwing in random body and wheel motions! I can see why the bushes would be so important for this to isolate the drivetrain from the body and visa versa. I recall earlier in the year Audi announced improvements to the car that added about 10 miles to the range. It had to do with modifications to the motor that improved efficiency and rolling distance--ie, less friction. Audi incorporated this into late 2019 models, but no retrofit. I wonder if that also addresses some of this booming issue.

Still, everyone doesn't seem to experience this, so there must be some combination that minmizes booming to acceptable levels. EV's motors are just too quiet!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't believe TSB 40 20 03 2058489/2 is related to the boom sensation or at least it did not fix the problem on this thread:

From the thread:

WildBTK "I had this TSB applied to my eTron. It did not fully solve the suspension clunking on the front end. My post was about the rear suspension booming sound going over some bumps. It's hard to describe and will be nearly impossible to record."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Still, everyone doesn't seem to experience this, so there must be some combination that minmizes booming to acceptable levels. EV's motors are just too quiet!
Is it possible it may be a combination of some owners not being aware of, or as susceptible to, the 'boom', combined with varying levels of 'boom' within e-trons? What concerns me more is a lack of awareness or acknowledgment from Audi, let alone a fix.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is it possible it may be a combination of some owners not being aware of, or as susceptible to, the 'boom', combined with varying levels of 'boom' within e-trons? What concerns me more is a lack of awareness or acknowledgment from Audi, let alone a fix.
I would think at least this first reference to controlling "body boom" would be relevant:

Have you been able to demonstrate it for your Dealer?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
136 Posts
A test tone should key the listener in to what we're hearing. I will have to try playing it through the e-tron speaker system to see if it can accurately reproduce the sound.

35 Hz test tone (warning: be careful, start at very low volume)

For me, this approximate frequency occurs in the car, in a quick pulsating manner.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A test tone should key the listener in to what we're hearing. I will have to try playing it through the e-tron speaker system to see if it can accurately reproduce the sound.

35 Hz test tone (warning: be careful, start at very low volume)

For me, this approximate frequency occurs in the car, in a quick pulsating manner.

Wow, I played that back on my desktop, which has a decent sound system. That low drone is really annoying, even got some sense of light pressure in the ears! I can only imagine how annoying it would be rapidly pusating! I most definitely do not hear that in my car. It almost sounds like an electrical hum, like from a transfomer.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
136 Posts
Yep! It feels like being knocked on the head with a fist. My ears also pop frequently on rough roads.

Hmm, maybe the motors should be inspected as well.

I’m glad to hear you’re not experiencing this in your car. That suggests it should be fixable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@polyphonic my Audi dealer is saying there is no fault with the car. Have you booked your car in to your Audi dealer for inspection? I'm interested to see whether they can experience and acknowledge the issue.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
136 Posts
@Nic99 that’s unfortunate. Did you see my post on Audiworld with the audio examples? The mock-up is audible through the car’s stereo system. That may be useful in getting the point across.

Mine is in service now for some other items, but I demonstrated the booming noise for them to investigate. (And of course, the new ICE loaner car does not make this sound)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My car was with the dealer a couple of weeks ago, prior to your idea of a demonstrable noise frequency and due to Covid restrictions I was unable to demonstrate the problem first hand.

Please do update us on how the Audi dealer progresses with the booming noise investigation.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
136 Posts
My car has the hydro-bush TSB, but unfortunately it came back 'normal.' This is disappointing since NVH is a major highlight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everyone who have this issue, please check the spare tire compartment. I found that my spare tire is not screw down completely. This might solve the issue.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts