Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can these be retrofitted to a 20 model year eton sportback? I see they are an option on the MY21 on the configurator.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
130 Posts
Discussed on another thread. Function on Demand allows you to buy an in-service upgrade. Ours is a base spec 2020 car and this option is now available in the MyAudi App, if you think the price is worth it you could give that a try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So does this involve purchasing an upgrade via the app, then booking a time at the dealership to fit that option? The digital matrix LEDs are a different hardware setup to the standard matrix.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No it's just a software change. The car must have the hardware already installed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
(Ignore. Misread title / OP)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bear in mind that this post's title is 'Digital Matrix Headlights' and these are different from 'Audi Matrix Headlights'. The digital ones are the ones that can do the animations, they're much higher resolution than the ordinary matrix ones and are very likely to be physically different. If so, you won't get them over the 'phone.
Even the ordinary ones are really good, though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bear in mind that this post's title is 'Digital Matrix Headlights' and these are different from 'Audi Matrix Headlights'. The digital ones are the ones that can do the animations, they're much higher resolution than the ordinary matrix ones and are very likely to be physically different....
Oh, OK. My bad.

... If so, you won't get them over the 'phone.
:) that would be some download.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sorry i should have been clearer...the digital ones which do the cool animations. Playing around with the configurator they look different in the mockups, but overall the shape of the fitting is identical.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I assume at around £3500 as an option, there’s some considerable hardware differences behind it so could be quite a costly retrofit afterwards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Basically if you want dynamic indicators and the red light bar to on/off with animation then this is an option. The variable lighting on motorways might be cool (when I get a chance to try) otherwise a waste of money. IMO

·
Registered
60 Posts
LSB - I think we established the OP is on about the fancy projected animations that the Digital Matrix does rather than the lights flashing themselves

·
Registered
43 Posts
LSB - I think we established the OP is on about the fancy projected animations that the Digital Matrix does rather than the lights flashing themselves
Yes I know. The blurb on the FoD page says coming & leaving home animations but this isn't the fancy projections from the digital matrix lights which is a bit misleading.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes I know. The blurb on the FoD page says coming & leaving home animations but it's not working. If you are supposed to have better hardware for this to work, don't offer it as an upgrade for people. Would be like offering the boost function for a 50 which is pointless as boost only on the 55 models.
there are three different types of lights now for the etron:

Standard - which is just plain lights on/off - no animations.

Matrix LED (a £1500 ish upgrade to some models, already enabled on some higher models) - does the fancy shutting on and off certain segments of lights - the lights themselves animate - KITT car from Knightrider on the back LOL and sweeping indicator animations/ locking/unlocking animations.

These first two use the same housing and either you have bought Matrix LED from outset or you can now turn it on via the app (pay for).

Digital Matrix (what OP is on about) - a £3500ish upgrade to some of the higher models only (and a different housing I believe) - which does the Matrix LED stuff but ALSO has fancy projected animations / pictures - such as projecting the etron logo or the Audit logo in front of the car, such as lane specific lighting and arrows on the floor and flashing at potential hazards:

Reactions: MegeTron and LSB777

·
Registered
43 Posts
there are three different types of lights now for the etron:

Standard - which is just plain lights on/off - no animations.

Matrix LED (a £1500 ish upgrade to some models, already enabled on some higher models) - does the fancy shutting on and off certain segments of lights - the lights themselves animate - KITT car from Knightrider on the back LOL and sweeping indicator animations/ locking/unlocking animations.

These first two use the same housing and either you have bought Matrix LED from outset or you can now turn it on via the app (pay for).

Digital Matrix (what OP is on about) - a £3500ish upgrade to some of the higher models only (and a different housing I believe) - which does the Matrix LED stuff but ALSO has fancy projected animations / pictures - such as projecting the etron logo or the Audit logo in front of the car, such as lane specific lighting and arrows on the floor and flashing at potential hazards:

Thanks for the extra info.
Still like to know what Audi are offering then on the Light package for the coming/leaving home animations if not the fancy moving images of the Audi name and 4 rings. I might pay for the Matrix upgrade over winter if this month trial goes well (although lockdown 2 might delay that)

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Bhuna50 thanks for the more detailed breakdown. I'm in the US and my e-tron does the KITT animations on lock/unlock (only from the key fob, fwiw). I assume that means I have the Matrix LED, but I am not able to do any of the other things that the video included; the fanciest thing it does it auto-dim the headlights. Is there another software feature that needs to be unlocked to access those other features?

·
Registered
60 Posts
sorry. Can only go on what I’ve read as awaiting car.

However in UK it looks like the Functions on Demand separate out the animations from the Matrix LED. Whereas when I ordered it said the animations are included with the Matrix LED.
I don’t know about US market sorry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the rear red light bar sweep is attached to the Light Function Package as coming/leaving home animations. The dynamic indicators is part of the Matrix Light package. Both OK if you want to spend the extra money.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Strange as if you order the matrix LED then the coming / leaving home animations are included at that time.

Audi out to make as much money as possible I guess.

Reactions: LSB777
1 - 18 of 18 Posts