Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just got my e-tron last week and noticed that my battery never gets anywhere 204 miles on a full charge. I was only charging up to 80% as recommended and then tried to go to 100% last night. In the morning, at 100%, my car is still only showing 183 miles max.

I understand that real world driving conditions causes mileage to vary during the course of a trip, but shouldn't it at least hit estimated 204 miles at full charge? Has anybody else ran into this problem?

Wondering if my battery is defective, since that's effectively 10% less mileage than advertised. I do not live in a cold weather state and my garage rarely drops below 60 degrees, nor does it get excessively hot.

Any comments as to your personal experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
at 100%, my car is still only showing 183 miles max.
If you browse these forums you will find that your situation is completely normal. Turning off the climate controls may cause your projected mileage to bump 10-15 miles. There are a multitude of factors here, and your garage temp is a very minor one in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you browse these forums you will find that your situation is completely normal. Turning off the climate controls may cause your projected mileage to bump 10-15 miles. There are a multitude of factors here, and your garage temp is a very minor one in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have browsed the forums and no, I do not have climate control on.

The forums are all over the place with some people reporting they get 165 miles to 270 miles, and I have no idea how they even get a stated mileage that is so much higher than the stated epa rating, which makes my max 183 miles at 100% charge all the more confusing. I just was seeking some context and personal experience from other people that were willing to share their experience, not some knee jerk comment from someone assuming I have climate control on.

I’ve already reached out to my dealership and they said that the low mileage shouldn’t be like that, so they’ll follow-up with me again with further recommendations.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Audi App tracks your daily average Wh/mi if that's the unit you are monitoring. In the app down towards the bottom is Driving Data "to statistics"; What kind of Wh/mi are you seeing? The max mileage you indicate seems to suggest high speed driving or a lot of stop and go. Short trips will also record low mileage as the car takes a few miles to settle down on battery drain. Here is a link to Tesla car ranges for various speeds. Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com
The difference between driving around town at low speed and out on the interstate doing 75-80 MPH can be drastic.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Audi App tracks your daily average Wh/mi if that's the unit you are monitoring. In the app down towards the bottom is Driving Data "to statistics"; What kind of Wh/mi are you seeing? The max mileage you indicate seems to suggest high speed driving or a lot of stop and go. Short trips will also record low mileage as the car takes a few miles to settle down on battery drain. Here is a link to Tesla car ranges for various speeds. Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com
The difference between driving around town at low speed and out on the interstate doing 75-80 MPH can be drastic.
Hope this helps.
thanks for the heads up. The estimated mileage for both the app and the car are the same.

My Average consumption is 45.4kwh/100 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Indeed, you should log the miles you are actually traveling and the kwh you are adding to see what your actual mileage is. In the spring weather in Virginia, no climate control, I'm getting around 2.4 miles/kwh, or about 225 - 230 miles per full charge. Back when it was cold, I was more like 1.8 miles/kwh, or about 170 miles per charge.

I do not trust the app - it constantly tells me I'm getting 2.7 - 3.0 miles/kwh. Same with the indicator on the dashboard - I'm not getting that high efficiency.

·
Registered
70 Posts
thanks for the heads up. The estimated mileage for both the app and the car are the same.

My Average consumption is 45.4kwh/100 miles.
454 Wh/mi is pretty high even for this vehicle. Sounds like you are on a very high speed roadway most of the time.
What was your average speed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
454 Wh/mi is pretty high even for this vehicle. Sounds like you are on a very high speed roadway most of the time.
What was your average speed?
I mostly have the driver assist on between 70-75 mph depending on if I’m passing someone on the highway. About 3/4 of my commute is on the highway with a distance of 47 miles each way.

So it sounds like the mileage provided by the car/app is based on driving style, and if that’s the case, it can increase if I improve my efficiency?

What’s a kWh/100 miles I should be aiming for to get close to 204 miles per 100% charge?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The range estimator starts out with a reading based on the last trip. It then readjusts based on the current trip parameters. You can calculate either miles or Wh/mi by dividing either number into 83000 which is the available battery capacity. So to calculate Wh/mi to achieve a given range ie 204; 83000/2004= 407. So if your driving produces a consumption around 400 Wh/mi you should have a range of about 200 miles. In the case of 454 Wh/mi; 83000/454 = 183 miles just as you have noticed. If I drive below 50MPH which can draw about 360 Wh/mi can achieve 230 miles of range. Of course need to get to a charger before there is less than 10 miles left. Do not want to drive near zero as you will need a flatbed tow to get home. Good luck with your e tron, we are enjoying ours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The range estimator starts out with a reading based on the last trip. It then readjusts based on the current trip parameters. You can calculate either miles or Wh/mi by dividing either number into 83000 which is the available battery capacity. So to calculate Wh/mi to achieve a given range ie 204; 83000/2004= 407. So if your driving produces a consumption around 400 Wh/mi you should have a range of about 200 miles. In the case of 454 Wh/mi; 83000/454 = 183 miles just as you have noticed. If I drive below 50MPH which can draw about 360 Wh/mi can achieve 230 miles of range. Of course need to get to a charger before there is less than 10 miles left. Do not want to drive near zero as you will need a flatbed tow to get home. Good luck with your e tron, we are enjoying ours.
Thank you everybody who contributed. This was the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

I just got my e-tron last week and noticed that my battery never gets anywhere 204 miles on a full charge. I was only charging up to 80% as recommended and then tried to go to 100% last night. In the morning, at 100%, my car is still only showing 183 miles max.

I understand that real world driving conditions causes mileage to vary during the course of a trip, but shouldn't it at least hit estimated 204 miles at full charge? Has anybody else ran into this problem?

Wondering if my battery is defective, since that's effectively 10% less mileage than advertised. I do not live in a cold weather state and my garage rarely drops below 60 degrees, nor does it get excessively hot.

Any comments as to your personal experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
As your usage increases your past mileage history will increase and then your range will increase. After about 2000 Miles my mileage seems pretty accurate and I started at about the same estimate as you are seeing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Terrain is also a big factor. In Seattle we have hills that are at about 20+% grade and just going up one for 3 blocks can wipe out 3-5 miles of range as the car tries to recalculate. Efficiency on this hills is 0.7 kWh/mi or even less at about 20-25 mph. The range suffers accordingly. However on a fairly flat road at about 25mph I can see 3.0 kWh/mi. But there are few flat surfaces in Seattle proper. Just something to factor in. I am guessing that the circuits that all car companies use to provide an advertised range do not include a lot of altitude changes so it’s something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Terrain is also a big factor. In Seattle we have hills that are at about 20+% grade and just going up one for 3 blocks can wipe out 3-5 miles of range as the car tries to recalculate. Efficiency on this hills is 0.7 kWh/mi or even less at about 20-25 mph. The range suffers accordingly. However on a fairly flat road at about 25mph I can see 3.0 kWh/mi. But there are few flat surfaces in Seattle proper. Just something to factor in. I am guessing that the circuits that all car companies use to provide an advertised range do not include a lot of altitude changes so it’s something to keep in mind.
Would be interesting to run the Navigation app when contemplating hilly terrain. It does seem to know speed limits and adjust range accordingly. Once charged up after 100 miles of 55MPH travel, had 220 miles indicated after charge. Selected the next stop in Nav and immediately lost 30 miles of range bc Nav knew the next leg would be 70MPH speed limit.

Advertised range comes from the EPA test, which is combo of city and highway driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

Battery is fine. It will vary. They use some sort of algorithm and early on, with little data inputted from driving, your car hasn’t conditioned yet. Give it a month or so. Even then, after 10K miles driven in PA, I’m generally at 185-190 miles at full charge. Typically gent 2.4 miles per KWH. WHen it really cold out i get closer to 2.1 M/KWH.

i used to get myself all worried about this stuff, now its not even something i ever think about. I drive around all day and plug in at night then repeat.....I now only charge to 80% and only charge at 50% power. It gets me 163 miles overnight...every night.

One thing you must know. When your car hits ZERO, you are done. There are no bonus miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just for information. Recently did a 100% charge and it showed 234 miles range. This is with an average shown in the app of 2.5 Mi per kWh. Combination of city and highway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would be interesting to run the Navigation app when contemplating hilly terrain. It does seem to know speed limits and adjust range accordingly. Once charged up after 100 miles of 55MPH travel, had 220 miles indicated after charge. Selected the next stop in Nav and immediately lost 30 miles of range bc Nav knew the next leg would be 70MPH speed limit.

Advertised range comes from the EPA test, which is combo of city and highway driving.
If you need to be accurate in the mileage left, definitely input the destination into the Nav. It will take hills into account.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts