Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an online Audi dealership where the new part ~ $150. Since Audi Service said that my battery range was still in spec (with HVAC on low, 187 @ 100%, 199 without and would not apply the lower range TSB), I figured this were pretty easy- perhaps $150 DIY project might be worthwhile if it's safe and relatively easy to do.

Any one have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't gotten an answer on whether it's a simple DIY or is there some involved procedure to de-energize eTron 1st and not fry myself or the electrical components.

Guess no one has done this before yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It certainly looks like it. Did you try how much dealer charges if you ask them to replace the part?
I understood the warranty doesn’t cover the issue, but they could charge you for it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It certainly looks like it. Did you try how much dealer charges if you ask them to replace the part?
I understood the warranty doesn’t cover the issue, but they could charge you for it.
Have not yet asked. I’m headed out of the country for 2 weeks so will deal with this when I return.

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
53 Posts
At our dealership, all work done on an e-tron is done by Audi HV Certified Technicians. Even something as simple as unplugging a module and unbolting it like in your situation, regular audi certified technicians would not be allowed to do. There is a chance that nothing will happen. But why risk it?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
808 Posts
Voltage is not too high but the short current can fry a lot if it is handled incorrectly. I would not risk it, honestly. It is not some cheap 15 year old car to tinker with.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Audi South Coast said that the Battery Ctrl Management module TSB did not apply to mine. Audi Reno has that updated part for $142 shipped.

I’d be willing to spend that out of pocket to see if it would indeed increased the battery range.

@frios, do you know what it might run in terms of install pricing? Any other Audi service around LA that mightdo this?

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
53 Posts
Unfortunately, You would have to call individual dealers to get a price quote on this. A GFF diagnostic scan would reveal if this was indeed your issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
according to the dealer Audi South Coast, battery range is normal. ie Could not replicate customer concern.

they kept turning HVAC off to get their 199 range. In the past, I have always had AC Econ on and Cool seats on. 214 was my high in that mode when I first took delivery. I’d be happy with that- it drops immediately to 183 with AC Econ and ventilated cool seats activated.

my buddy’s 2021 is getting 196 at 80% (calculates to 245!). Could the 2021 be that much more efficient?

that’s why I wanted to replace the module. For $142 worth to try. But if diagnostics, etc guess will stay put for now If there’s a risk.

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
53 Posts
There is a possibility that one or more of your battery module cells is going bad. It does happen from time to time on 2019 models. It is a warranty job as the labor would be quite expensive as the whole battery would need to be dropped. A technician would then have to diagnose manually to pinpoint which cell it is. I just did the labor ops for one recently so I kind of know what it entails. HV de-energize, Battery drop, taking coolant out, refill coolant, pressure test, diagnosing bad cells, swapping cells, putting and sealing everything up, and let’s not forget all the GFF diag. I am not sure what your source is that tells you that it’s the Battery Control module (which btw I could not find the labor op for or the module number) , but swapping stuff on these cars is not like swapping parts on 1990’s Hondas. Even then, that part may or may not need GFF adaptations and basic settings to get working properly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
80% was with AC on for my friends 2021. 196/.8=245

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a possibility that one or more of your battery module cells is going bad. It does happen from time to time on 2019 models. It is a warranty job as the labor would be quite expensive as the whole battery would need to be dropped. A technician would then have to diagnose manually to pinpoint which cell it is. I just did the labor ops for one recently so I kind of know what it entails. HV de-energize, Battery drop, taking coolant out, refill coolant, pressure test, diagnosing bad cells, swapping cells, putting and sealing everything up, and let’s not forget all the GFF diag. I am not sure what your source is that tells you that it’s the Battery Control module (which btw I could not find the labor op for or the module number) , but swapping stuff on these cars is not like swapping parts on 1990’s Hondas. Even then, that part may or may not need GFF adaptations and basic settings to get working properly.
mahalo Frios for the explanation. 3 dealers that I’ve been to have all told me that same thing- it’s with in spec. BH, FJ and South Coast.

there is a TSB in battery range less than anticipated. (Ex was <140 in TSB but said less than desired)

Is your dealership in the LA area?

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
53 Posts
Yes we are in the Los Angeles area.

When I get to work tomorrow, I’ll look out for and see if a 2019 hits my desk then, I’ll probe all the TSBs to see which one you are referring to.

I know for most of the battery cell replacements, it usually gets Audi TACS involved and they usually make the determination to swap them out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
53 Posts
Wait! It shows that your Vehicle is a 2020 in ELSA Pro. I thought it was a 2019! That TSB definitely corresponds to it then. It does not apply to 2019 models. If the concern meets the requirements set forth by the TSB, I think there's three of them listed, then this TSB should qualify, but only if the initial conditions are applicable. I think again there is another three of them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m on a medical mission until the 25th in Haiti.
Would love to bring mine to your dealership if there are loaners.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wait! It shows that your Vehicle is a 2020 in ELSA Pro. I thought it was a 2019! That TSB definitely corresponds to it then. It does not apply to 2019 models. If the concern meets the requirements set forth by the TSB, I think there's three of them listed, then this TSB should qualify, but only if the initial conditions are applicable. I think again there is another three of them.
On my way back to theUS/LA.

myAudi app has been unable to connect for past 8 days. Guess my Prestige eTron also needs TSB to update SW to be able to connect when deep sleep state.

If your dealership can apply the Battery Management Control Module TSB and have loaners, would be happy to make appt with your service dept.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
On my way back to theUS/LA.

myAudi app has been unable to connect. Guess my Prestige eTron also needs TSB to update SW to be able to connect when deep sleep state.

If your dealership can apply the Battery Management Control Module TSB and have loaners, would be happy to make appt with your service dept.
In case you did not get the memo, the entire Audi cloud services will be down starting Monday night, April 26 for two days:
"myAudi is scheduled to undergo a maintenance update to enhance your overall experience with the site. This update will occur between 04/26/21, 11:00 PM EDT and 04/28/21, 4:00 PM EDT. During this period, myAudi login, registration and myAudi connect services will be unavailable and you will be automatically logged out from the myAudi Portal, the myAudi App and in your vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience during this maintenance period."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts