Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test driven three 2019 e-trons (the only ones the dealer had) and they have adaptive cruise control, but I couldn't get any type of lane centering to work. Only one of them seemed to have lane departure and that only worked once.

I got into an argument with the sales rep and he said that "NO" Audi has any kind of lane centering, only lane departure correction... Well, Traffic Jam Assist appears to be that, but is it of any use?

But my main question is whether any e-tron has lane centering at freeway speed limit speeds? e.g. 65mph 2019 (no 2020's I guess), '21 or '22 or the Q4 (no specs on it yet here).

My old long since sold 2017 Honda CRV had both adaptive cruise control AND lane centering. I didn't think BOTH these features would be hard to find 5 years later. I drive on 2 hour trips to the Desert every couple weekends where both are definitely useful.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I rarely use ACC, but have lane assist turned on all the time--turned on and off by tapping the button at the tip of the cruise control stalk. In that mode, you get a visual indicator and steering wheel vibrations that alert you to correct your position. It works ONLY when the visual display highlights the two lane-line graphics in green (meaning the car can confidently sense the lane lines). As I recall, when I have the ACC on, the car will attempt to self correct to maintain its position in the lane, but again, only when both lane lines are in green. Getting both lane lines to be green is very iffy...works reliably mainly on straightish stretches of well marked freeway.

I am talking about a 2019 Prestige trim SUV.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think this is a confusion of words rather than two different features.

Audi call it lane correction but it acts like a lane centring as in it tries to keep you within the lane markings if you start to drift.

Ultimately it vibrates the wheel and tries to slowly correct you back into the middle of the lane as it has detected you are getting too close to the lane markings and thinks you are drifting out of lane, unless you have indicated you are changing lanes or if you continue to resist the correction then it will cancel correcting, wait for you to enter new lane and then turn on the green lane signal again when it picks up where you are.

it does not 100% keep you in the exact lane centre but stops you from drifting out of the lane so therefore calls it “lane correction”.

as @JNealCox says, it only works when the green lines are lit on the icon showing it has picked up you are in a lane.

Reactions: Falcon73

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree that confusing terminology makes it difficult to discuss this but there are definitely 2 different features here which need to be considered separately.

Lane departure warning - This is the feature that vibrates the steering wheel and tries to correct the course of the car if it detects a departure from the current lane when no turn signal indication has been given by the driver. It works between 40mph and 155mph.

Lane guidance - This is the feature that keeps the car in the centre of the lane and steers around curves. Although it requires the driver's hands to be on the steering wheel, there is a short period before the system warns and then disengages if the car detects that the driver is not in a position to steer the car. This is termed 'steering intervention request' by Audi. As this is used as part of the Traffic Jam Assist function it operates all the way down to zero mph.

The terminology can be confusing but when using them the two systems are clear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rarely use ACC, but have lane assist turned on all the time--turned on and off by tapping the button at the tip of the cruise control stalk. In that mode, you get a visual indicator and steering wheel vibrations that alert you to correct your position. It works ONLY when the visual display highlights the two lane-line graphics in green (meaning the car can confidently sense the lane lines). As I recall, when I have the ACC on, the car will attempt to self correct to maintain its position in the lane, but again, only when both lane lines are in green. Getting both lane lines to be green is very iffy...works reliably mainly on straightish stretches of well marked freeway.

I am talking about a 2019 Prestige trim SUV.
These replies are most helpful. Thank you. And looks like it will be time for another test drive, but I don't know how soon as they are probably tired of me. The sales guy didn't know or didn't explain it to me in a way that made sense. There were no side-bars, green or otherwise, on the driver assist screen.

I don't intend to use lane centering except on straight stretches of low-traffic freeways, if there are any left around here, so it sounds like this may be enough.

Does anyone know what the Q4 has since that's the one I'm leaning towards, but maybe I should repost in that forum.

I agree, the terminology is very confusing as each mfg seems to call it something else.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
These replies are most helpful. Thank you. And looks like it will be time for another test drive, but I don't know how soon as they are probably tired of me. The sales guy didn't know or didn't explain it to me in a way that made sense. There were no side-bars, green or otherwise, on the driver assist screen.

I don't intend to use lane centering except on straight stretches of low-traffic freeways, if there are any left around here, so it sounds like this may be enough.

Does anyone know what the Q4 has since that's the one I'm leaning towards, but maybe I should repost in that forum.

I agree, the terminology is very confusing as each mfg seems to call it something else.
Yes, Audi seems to go out of its way to use confusing terminology. "Blind Spot Detection", for example, is "Side Assist".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree that confusing terminology makes it difficult to discuss this but there are definitely 2 different features here which need to be considered separately.

Lane departure warning - This is the feature that vibrates the steering wheel and tries to correct the course of the car if it detects a departure from the current lane when no turn signal indication has been given by the driver. It works between 40mph and 155mph.

Lane guidance - This is the feature that keeps the car in the centre of the lane and steers around curves. Although it requires the driver's hands to be on the steering wheel, there is a short period before the system warns and then disengages if the car detects that the driver is not in a position to steer the car. This is termed 'steering intervention request' by Audi. As this is used as part of the Traffic Jam Assist function it operates all the way down to zero mph.

The terminology can be confusing but when using them the two systems are clear.
I know what feature Falcon73 is talking about - I have it on my Ipace. If I’m understanding, the ETron GT will not have this lane guidance feature. Correct?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Whatever you test drive, just make sure the car has a "package" that includes the two "Lane" features. If it is like my 2019, it is turned on and off by tapping the button on the end of the ACC stem. Of course, there are "no" cruise control, "standard" cruise control, and "adaptive" cruise control package options. Make sure the vehicle you test drive as the CC option you want.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I know what feature Falcon73 is talking about - I have it on my Ipace. If I’m understanding, the ETron GT will not have this lane guidance feature. Correct?

LOL, not sure about that! From this thread it is clear that both terminology and method-of-implementation vary from brand to brand AND EVEN within cars from the same car company. I really don't know how to answer your question short of just getting in the car and demonstrating it for yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL, not sure about that! From this thread it is clear that both terminology and method-of-implementation vary from brand to brand AND EVEN within cars from the same car company. I really don't know how to answer your question short of just getting in the car and demonstrating it for yourself.
When I took the RS GT out for a test drive, the cruise control system was the least of my concerns. I ordered a GT with the adaptive cruise control - in fact my model in Canada is loaded other than I didn't get the wood inlays.

During the test drive, I was taking 90 degree (30 kph) corners at 90, and launched from a standing start until the blood in my head pooled in the back of my head, so I didn't really have the time to dink around with the ACC...

I'll take what I ordered, but to the best of my understanding I have the most advanced features on the car. Except the wood. :cool:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I hear you. I like driving, so almost never use ACC. I think the bottom line is that IF there is a feature that is a "must have", don't assume that is implemented or named the same across brands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear you. I like driving, so almost never use ACC. I think the bottom line is that IF there is a feature that is a "must have", don't assume that is implemented or named the same across brands.
I use ACC on cars that have it almost all the time on freeways, regardless of speed. I don't enjoy freeway driving at all, but it's a necessity in these parts (SoCal). I don't and wouldn't try to use it on side streets. Same goes for lane centering (on cars that have it).

ACC is more important as I don't want to cruise into the car in front of me if I'm distracted for a second. Cruise control w/o ACC seems more a hazard than anything.

I am undecided on undivided highways, but there aren't many of those here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My ‘19 e-tron Edition One stays in the lane at highway speeds. As long as there are lane lines, it works just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts