Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the e-tron GT and was wondering what owners are finding for real-world range?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am interested in the e-tron GT and was wondering what owners are finding for real-world range?
I’ve had my GT FOR 5 weeks, mostly on trips and I’m running 2.96 mi/ kWh and an inferred range of 257 miles. That is mostly highway running 55-70 mph, i.e., near the speed limit with normal AC.
In-town, with some highway use, is running 261. I experimented with different driving modes and got the following:
Comfort 256
Dynamic 258
Efficiency 267
I have had a couple of trips with 3.1 mi/kWh
YMMV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now sitting at 1700 km; @80% = 407km in efficiency mode with 17 degree avg temp. Waiting for winter to set in and then will have a realistic snapshot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I drive 100 miles a day through the mountains. I get worse milage going to work and much better coming home. Overall I get about 270 miles for a full charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After a month I’m charging to 260 and I’m efficiency mode can get 280 actual miles with mixed driving. Best car I’ve ever had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had for 1,500 miles, and coming off a Model X, one of the very BEST Features is how close the Mileage is to 1:1. On my Model X, it would go from 300 to 200 in like 30 miles, then slow down. This thing literally moves a mile when you drive a mile. I consistently get 260 easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had for 1,500 miles, and coming off a Model X, one of the very BEST Features is how close the Mileage is to 1:1. On my Model X, it would go from 300 to 200 in like 30 miles, then slow down. This thing literally moves a mile when you drive a mile. I consistently get 260 easy.
This.

Both of my Model S vehicles were all over the board with actual miles. Worse, because Tesla doesn’t restrict batter pack usage, the max miles I had when I got my last one (340) was closer to 312 when I got rid of it.

So with my Tesla, It was rated over 300 but rarely got it. However everything I keep seeing about this Audi (and the Taycan) is that the rated miles are either spot on OR very understated for actual driving.

I think in the end, this Audi will get pretty much what my Tesla did, regardless of the rated miles on either.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Tesla uses a very primitive algorithm to calculate projected miles. It simply looks at the SOC and multiplies that percentage by the stated EPA range for the car. It did eventually incorporate some slight-of-hand software that folded into the estimate a "reserve" amount to act as a buffer. As a result, the Tesla can actually post "negative miles" as you encroach on the "soft buffer", since you are not strictly blocked from the buffer as is done in the Audi. The Audi algorithm looks at past history, current cabin settings, temperature, etc., to make an actual estimate of what the car's range should be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tesla uses a very primitive algorithm to calculate projected miles. It simply looks at the SOC and multiplies that percentage by the stated EPA range for the car. It did eventually incorporate some slight-of-hand software that folded into the estimate a "reserve" amount to act as a buffer. As a result, the Tesla can actually post "negative miles" as you encroach on the "soft buffer", since you are not strictly blocked from the buffer as is done in the Audi. The Audi algorithm looks at past history, current cabin settings, temperature, etc., to make an actual estimate of what the car's range should be.
My Model S for 6 years always said range was SOC times EPA number.
EXCEPT when setting a destination in the navigation system. Then, it would give a very conservative destination SOC projection like 6%, but after about 10 miles of driving, it it increase that projection by 6-9% and remain very accurate for the rest of the trip.
My e-tron GT seems to be quite accurate, although it shows range vice SOC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m thinking of trading my x for a GT, any regrets?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m thinking of trading my x for a GT, any regrets?
No regrets. The biggest change is the software quality (Tesla obviously a leader here); but the driving/machinery is incredible. Also; the car is less utilitarian and more fun to drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I traded my Model S for the GT.
I miss the Supercharger network, but don’t regret moving to GT.
I hear you; but I'll be honest...Electrify America (free for 3 years) is a lot more community based, whereas Tesla is population and long-drive based. I appreciate having fast chargers more readily available than with Tesla

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear you; but I'll be honest...Electrify America (free for 3 years) is a lot more community based, whereas Tesla is population and long-drive based. I appreciate having fast chargers more readily available than with Tesla
With Tesla I can use both systems, that’s a huge plus currently. I’ve not explored other charging platforms as I only had Tesla and superchargers are everywhere I’ve needed. I have used the adapter to plug in at malls and so on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
With Tesla I can use both systems, that’s a huge plus currently. I’ve not explored other charging platforms as I only had Tesla and superchargers are everywhere I’ve needed. I have used the adapter to plug in at malls and so on.
What?

Not right now you can’t. Tesla can not charge on the CCS network in the USA yet. The only way this works is through the CHADdeMO adaptor.

I live in the Eastern Corridor around Washington DC and Baltimore. The number of Tesla SuperChargers being built is FAR outstripping DC Fast Chargers. In fact, looking at my current driving requirements, there are regions in my area where I will simply not be able to bring my new Audi eTron GT because even here in MD, there simply isn’t enough DC Fast Chargers.

Fortunately I really do believe Tesla will open up the Supercharging network to cars like Audi before year’s end. Then this dialog finally goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What?

Not right now you can’t. Tesla can not charge on the CCS network in the USA yet. The only way this works is through the CHADdeMO adaptor.

I live in the Eastern Corridor around Washington DC and Baltimore. The number of Tesla SuperChargers being built is FAR outstripping DC Fast Chargers. In fact, looking at my current driving requirements, there are regions in my area where I will simply not be able to bring my new Audi eTron GT because even here in MD, there simply isn’t enough DC Fast Chargers.

Fortunately I really do believe Tesla will open up the Supercharging network to cars like Audi before year’s end. Then this dialog finally goes away.
What?

You can buy a chad adapter for Tesla, I don’t have one but have seen them. Most Tesla owners wouldn’t use them as Chad is nonexistent vs supercharger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can buy a chad adapter for Tesla, I don’t have one but have seen them. Most Tesla owners wouldn’t use them as Chad is nonexistent vs supercharger.
I literally said that in my post. The only way to do this is through CHADdeMO. You verified my point: even using that adaptor, there are so few of those plugs around, it not really a solution. Fortunately Tesla has released the CSS adaptor (will only in Korea right now).

It won’t be long now before any car can use any available charger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised in southern california by the # of fast chargers. Also; an Electrify America engineer monitoring usage stopped me the other day at a charger and they are doing Southwestern research/data gathering to kickoff a new round of fundraising (in the billions) to vastly expand.

My bigger gripe is how often the 150kw fast chargers only put out ~30-40kw...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts