Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off to having a great start of the morning. "Electrical system: malfunction! Safely stop vehicle"
Font Speedometer Display device Technology Auto part

followed by "All-wheel drive: malfunction! Limited stability. Please contact Service!"
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Odometer Font

Luckily, that happened in garage before taking off so just sitting now and waiting for a tow truck to get me to the dealership to have the car looked at. I expect battery and/or electric motor to be shot. In the last few days I was feeling the car underperforming and showing much lower efficiency but I would put blame on the low temperatures and all. Perhaps that was a sign of things to come.
Any experience with errors like this? I could not find these errors reported anywhere on the forum ...

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Initial diagnostics implies rear motor failure and/or battery failure. Either one of these is a 3 months' wait for a rebuild. So yay ... I am stuck in loaner for these 3 months.
On a flip note, I got into chatting with the service manager and these failures are not that uncommon apparently. They were originally blamed on first generation design, but apparently 20, 21 and, 22 models already show up with the same problems, with anywhere between 25k and 35k miles on them. I am smack around 27k miles right now, is that is even any trigger at all.

· Registered
232 Posts
I got to 52,000 miles in my 2019 launch edition etron suv, no issues. Only issue I had was the digital wing mirrors kept fogging up and needed replacing twice. Have swapped now to a GT

Sorry to hear of your plight though, hope it is quicker than 3 months for you…

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fingers crossed - today the car goes into the hands of the EV foreman so I will get likely full breakdown of what is wrong, what it needs to be back on the road and how long it will take. Fingers crossed it is just a messed up sensor that threw the system off but knowing my luck, it will be both battery and rear motor together.

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have initial confirmation is likely an intermittent coolant leak in the rear engine, ergo a well known problem with coolant gaskets, so likely 3-4 months to fix unless by some miracle they have parts sitting around (chances are close to 0%).

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our of curiosity, I checked also with local VW and MB dealers - VW is out of loaners for next 55 days or so (schedule 2 months in advance, I was told) and MB is running ~30 days behind schedule on loaners. Funny times to live in. Local Audi dealer has over 150 cars waiting for parts from Germany so I can certainly see how they are out of loaners. Not excusing them or anything, just adding things up. There are only so many loaners they put into rotation.

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update from the tech - after a lot of back and forth with Germany, it seems like the Sx6 module is the prime suspect but will have to be replaced to confirm whether it is indeed the culprit.

· Registered
47 Posts
I am off to having a great start of the morning. "Electrical system: malfunction! Safely stop vehicle"
View attachment 8250

followed by "All-wheel drive: malfunction! Limited stability. Please contact Service!"
View attachment 8251
Luckily, that happened in garage before taking off so just sitting now and waiting for a tow truck to get me to the dealership to have the car looked at. I expect battery and/or electric motor to be shot. In the last few days I was feeling the car underperforming and showing much lower efficiency but I would put blame on the low temperatures and all. Perhaps that was a sign of things to come.
Any experience with errors like this? I could not find these errors reported anywhere on the forum ...
This exact issue happened to us about a month after delivery. (I have video of it and it occurred when it was 62ºF outside. Wish I could upload it, but I don't want to start a YouTube account just for this. Maybe if enough folks want to see what happens, I may reconsider.) We simply chalked it up to the car being plugged into a "free" public charger. Nonetheless, we brought the car into the local dealership service center and they told us they reset something with the MMI. Although, right after this occurred, we then encountered a tail light & signal light issue that kept giving us an error/warning dialog box. Brought the car back into service and after 2.5 months of waiting for our etron to come back from servicing, and due to our state's lemon-law clause, we were offered by Audi to exchange the vehicle like-for-like. After that, we never encountered this same issue with the new (exchanged) etron. AND we vowed to never charge/plug the car at any "free" public chargers anymore unless they were privately owned.

· Registered
29 Posts
Not completely understanding the issue your describing, did the car run ? I had an issue with my 2020 where we had it plugged into a public charger in a underground parking structure where the car was completely dead - nothing, had to manually unlock the doors it was so dead - couldn’t put it on a flat bed because it was to high for the ceiling of the parking structure - so the tow driver said he knew how to jumpstart it and Audi had showed him how/ I figured how much deader could it go so I said yes - he jumped it / I drove it home and its be 100% great since -my dealer looked at it, said couldn’t find anything wrong - the public charger has been replaced btw in that parking structure, my wifes work. dealer told me that a bad charger can pop the protection for the 12 v battery for the incidentals- It been about a year now and all still good - happened at 8000 mile mark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts