Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there !
I'm just specing up a E - tron 50w S and C.

Really appreciate any feedback on space age safety Driver Assistance options.
The City Assist, Assist option and the stuff within the Touring package.
Which did People found useful or was it braking constantly how reliable etc.

I've not seeing much useful information on web and Audi techbabble isn't much use.
Just a word on my needs - its going to driving around a busy city and it's 'burbs, not much on open road.

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
I find the features around adaptive cruise control the most useful. But it's definitely worth a read as depending on the package, there could be several safety features. Which for the most part, will never be noticed, unless there is an emergency situation. Such as an object in the road, a bike or vehicle traveling your blind spot, or an emergency brake situation.

Anything around lane keep assist, I find to be useless on all but the most straight roads. It's too inaccurate and usually results in making it look like you're a drunk driver as you bounce between the lane. But, it does usually keep you in the lane, at least.

Just keep in mind, these are all meant to be safety and driver "assist" features. It's like having another set of eyes on the road and takes some stress off of the drive. So just in general, while they aren't perfect, I think they're certainly good to have.

EDIT: Here is a link from Audi that better explains their available driver assistance tech.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am pretty addicted to them - I don't bother to press the brake in traffic because it will do it for me, will keep me from going more than 10 mph over the speed limit when I'm coasting downhill, and will slow me down in advance of a speed limit drop ahead. I've gotten used to the occasional 'tug of war' over the steering wheel between me and the LKA - sometimes it sees lane lines where they aren't....Adaptive cruise is also a must-have.

The only criticism is the car's eyesight is about at the Mr. Magoo level - certainly isn't a replacement for an alert driver. I'm not looking forward to autonomous driving - can't believe they can get the cameras/lidar with enough brains to adapt to the kind of stuff we encounter every day on the roads.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think people vary in what they depend on and what they don't. I tend to be minimalist when it comes to the actual driving...I like to drive! Having some of the "behind the scenes" safety monitoring can be handy. I like the lane assist, which works well an most open roads. They have done a decent job with blind spot detection, although it took me awhile to learn that you kick it up a notch when you flip on the turn signal--I had been concerned for some time that it seemed to miss cars now and then when you are passing them at similar speeds, such as changing lanes in a traffic jam. The one thing that I ABSOLUTELY had to turn off was the Automatic Parking Assist. On local streets it was constantly sending me alerts!

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
I did turn off a few of the driver-assist features, but if they leave me alone during normal driving, they can stay. And I do love to drive. However, that activity people do in traffic isn't driving. Hah. That is the perfect time to let the vehicle handle some of the driving (and stress) to give the driver a break. Still paying attention, of course. And admittedly I rarely deal with that type of traffic anymore, but when I do, I don't even care.

Just turn on the adaptive cruise, maybe even steer assist if you want, and let the tech do its job. I'll just relax with cooled/massaging seats and enjoy that excellent stereo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts