Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The most difficult time I am having with our new e-tron is on our own driveway.
It's a narrow sloping driveway that curves. Not ideal, but I am able to drive AT ICE cars, and several other EVs with confidence. Forward, or reversed in, doesn't matter.

...The e-tron is a different story all together...

So, In the manual there are 3 relevant drive modes:

1. Hold assist
2. Hill descent assist
2. Hill hold assist

I decided against using 'Hold assist' all together because it enables too easily. Exiting this mode on an incline by even feathering the accelerator causes a lurch that moves the car a couple feet.

Hill descent assist doesn't seem relevant here. I have tried it, but the icon never turns green, which is odd because the grade is at least 10% (within the 6-60% requirement).

Hill hold assist: "To activate hill hold assist, press and hold the brake pedal for several seconds while the vehicle is stationary."
It's probable that this is enabling by accident which in turn causes the same problem with Hold assist: the lurch.

Is 'Hill hold assist' strictly passive without an option to change the behavior? I can deal with a vehicle that rolls, but this auto-enabling of a hold-like mode is making this vehicle a bear to control.

Other than that I am using maximum recuperation and driving down, reversing out. I would love to hear thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a narrow sloping driveway that curves. Not ideal, but I am able to drive AT ICE cars, and several other EVs with confidence. Forward, or reversed in, doesn't matter.

1. Hold assist
2. Hill descent assist
2. Hill hold assist

I decided against using 'Hold assist' all together because it enables too easily. Exiting this mode on an incline by even feathering the accelerator causes a lurch that moves the car a couple feet.

Hill descent assist doesn't seem relevant here. I have tried it, but the icon never turns gre

Hill hold assist: "To activate hill hold assist, press and hold the brake pedal for several seconds while the vehicle is stationary."
It's probable that this is enabling by accident which in turn causes the same problem with Hold assist: the lurch.

Is 'Hill hold assist' strictly passive without an option to change the behavior? I can deal with a vehicle that rolls, but this auto-enabling of a hold-like mode is making this vehicle a bear to control.

Other than that I am using maximum recuperation and driving down, reversing out. I would love to hear thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same issue.
Very annoying.
Hill assist helps in some situations but not when you park on decline (street sloping downward)
In this case, as soon as you put the car in reverse and take your foot off the break, the car lurches forward :(

Would love to know if someone found a solution.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it possible to use left foot on brake and then apply some power before releasing brake?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible to use left foot on brake and then apply some power before releasing brake?
Yes, but for me initial attempts were not so smooth. This will require a bit of practice.

It's a pity because simply allowing an option to turn 'hill hold assist' off would solve the problem.
A 'hold' or 'creep' mode like in other EVs would honestly be amazing for day-to-day manuevering, though the coasting approach is clearly superior for distance travel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yan wrote: "
Same issue.
Very annoying.
Hill assist helps in some situations but not when you park on decline (street sloping downward)
In this case, as soon as you put the car in reverse and take your foot off the break, the car lurches forward :(

Would love to know if someone found a solution. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not tried this, but I wonder if manually holding the parking switch might also work to hold the car in place until you get more reverse power directed to the wheels. Pg 94:

This is getting to be a little like finessing the clutch and accelerator in a manual transmission on a hill!

·
Registered
176 Posts
"Hold Assist" can be a little annoying. However, it is one of those menu features that you can put on your Shortcuts screen. I have it there mainly to remind me to turn it off if I go through a car wash.

·
Registered
176 Posts

1. Hold assist
2. Hill descent assist
2. Hill hold assist

Hill descent assist doesn't seem relevant here. I have tried it, but the icon never turns green, which is odd because the grade is at least 10% (within the 6-60% requirement).

My reading of the manual seems to tell me that unless you have Hold Assist activated, the passive Hill Hold Assist will not turn on unless you fully hold the brake peddle (to activate the mechanical brake) for several seconds. Does your maneuvering require a full brake hold longer than that?

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @JNealCox !

I'm not sure if it was pilot error with the hold mode, or my brakes being in poor shape (bad rotors, much squeal), but it's not sticking any longer.
For my situation, reversing uphill out of the parking brake is really the only solution. Holding the parking brake isn't required here, and the transition from brake to motion is fairly smooth.

Having 'hold assist' mapped to a shortcut is also critical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts