Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm wondering why the dual pane windows option is not on the US website built. It was on the initial order guide.
All other countries do have it.

I think it is a miss, don't you?

thank

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
167 Posts
Hi,

I'm wondering why the dual pane windows option is not on the US website built. It was on the initial order guide.

thank
It’s part of the Prestige package.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Right, it is standard on the Prestige trim in the US. I find it REALLY confusing to try to sort out what features you get when looking at US and EU information. Features are packaged MUCH differently in the US, compared to EU and Great Britain. Be sure it is the US version of the car that you are looking over online. Also be sure you understand the naming system used by Audi for all the safety and other features. I was actually surprised here in the US that the "basic Presense" package does not include "Blind Spot Detection", which Audi calls "Side Assist". You have to get the upgraded Presense package.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Right, it is standard on the Prestige trim in the US. I find it REALLY confusing to try to sort out what features you get when looking at US and EU information. Features are packaged MUCH differently in the US, compared to EU and Great Britain. Be sure it is the US version of the car that you are looking over online. Also be sure you understand the naming system used by Audi for all the safety and other features. I was actually surprised here in the US that the "basic Presense" package does not include "Blind Spot Detection", which Audi calls "Side Assist". You have to get the upgraded Presense package.
Agreed. Different markets and regulatory environments will inevitably create feature and package splintering. But I think Audi could do more to disambiguate the confusion.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Agreed. Different markets and regulatory environments will inevitably create feature and package splintering. But I think Audi could do more to disambiguate the confusion.
At least Audi did not name "Blind Spot Detection" "FeatureGivingYouLightAlertOnSideMirrorWhenAVehicleIsInAreaToYourSideThatCannotBeSeenBySideMirror", although that would be a little more descriptive than "Side Assist".

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I kind of like it more with US market where most of the options are pre-packaged. I hate the "need to choose every single darn option" menu style in EU. It is a pain to pick the "right" set.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi,

thank
Just looked for this to answer another post and it looks like the acoustic glass option has disappeared from the UK optional choices (if it was there beforehand) for the SUV etrons anyway - didnt look at SB

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is the acoustic glass really necessary? I remember watching an e-Tron review where the reviewer was in awe of how quiet the car was and commented that the tester didn’t even have the acoustic glass. He didn’t think it was necessary. I don’t have it in my 21 Sportback and I can’t imagine how it could be much quieter.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
The difference is quite substantial. I drove model with and without one after another precisely to check the difference and it's substantial.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The difference is quite substantial. I drove model with and without one after another precisely to check the difference and it's substantial.
Wow, very interesting. Considering I can barely hear heavy trucks passing by now, I can’t imagine how much that could be improved. I’ll just say it’s surely quiet enough for me and actually quieter than my wife’s double paned acoustic glass Lexus.

As I think about it and I mentioned in a prior post in another thread, I drove both cars too with and without the acoustic glass. The only thing I did note, was that I heard a low frequency thump with the acoustic glass e-Tron, going over street irregularities, that I didn’t hear in the other e-Tron. Perhaps that was due to better sound insulation that made the low frequency thumping more obvious. Otherwise I can’t say I heard much of a difference.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to low frequency noise so that's perhaps why I did notice substantial difference. That does come thought with extra weight so if you're happy without it, well, enjoy the few extra miles of range

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to low frequency noise so that's perhaps why I did notice substantial difference. That does come thought with extra weight so if you're happy without it, well, enjoy the few extra miles of range
Are you certain of that? I’m asking, because I actually don’t know, but this resource would suggest otherwise:
An acoustic windshield reduces the noise in the passenger compartment and makes the ride more enjoyable. It also reduces fuel consumption since it is lighter than standard auto glass. If you have to replace your windshield, do it with acoustic glass.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Since I do not have any reference to compare the weight, I assumed it is a double pane glass (thicker) than regular glass, but at the end of the day, I would not want the car without it irrespective of the weight gain, if any

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Since I do not have any reference to compare the weight, I assumed it is a double pane glass (thicker) than regular glass, but at the end of the day, I would not want the car without it irrespective of the weight gain, if any
I’m same with respect to my preferred specs. It’s part of the Prestige package on the GT, and I would have paid extra to get it were it not. But I find it interesting that it is possibly lighter than standard glass, and so shouldn’t assume a range penalty. If so, that would be a win-win.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
If so, that would be a win-win.
Until one has to pay to have it replaced, I am sure. However, without knowing the actual weight of acoustic and non-acoustic versions used in the given model, it is speculative at best :) If it was lighter indeed, the reason why not to use it more commonly would be only added price factor I guess.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So you too noticed that low frequency drumming that I heard and others complained about with the double glass?

·
Registered
424 Posts
yes, but it is still much better than compared with standard glass
OK, I guess ‘much better’ is a subjective thing. ;)

I’m not sure how I would have reacted to the drumming on a daily basis. Maybe I’d get used to it, maybe not. I’m probably better off with what I have. I may be one of those that’s very sensitive to the frequencies where that drumming takes place.

I would love to see actual sound level measurements with and without the glass, over the same roads & weather conditions, as well as which frequencies are attenuated.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I would love to see actual sound level measurements with and without the glass, over the same roads & weather conditions, as well as which frequencies are attenuated.
I looked for data like this, I guess we will have to wait for something done professionally.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I looked for data like this, I guess we will have to wait for something done professionally.
Yup. I suspect only someone like Bjorn would ever do this. He routinely does sound level measurements. Unfortunately I don’t think he has enough interest in the e-Tron to bother finding 2 cars with & without the acoustic glass to bother. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts