Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I ordered my first EV etron 50 back in Nov.

Reading this forum is giving me early range anxiety in advance of estimated delivery in March.

I never expected to get the claimed 190m range but had allowed and expected ~150m to give me some contingency to cover daily return commute of 110m (70% carriageway,20% rural,10% city) and weekend long run 120m. (Rural roads, hills and twisty). Avg speed for both tends to be ~40mph.

Bizarrely company deal on black edition was cheaper than technik or sport so I also have 21` wheel impact. I have adaptive cruise control too as really like it on my A6 automatic. Lowest 55 was a £ stretch too far.

Can I expect to cover above journeys on 1 charge and what is optimum car setup for each ?

Manual regen for rural journey ? Adaptive cruise control for carriageway commute ?

Already assuming I might have to compromise on Comfort or Dynamic preferences to make each on a single charge but if the 50 can hold avg of 2m/kWh or better with normal driving I hope I will have some to spare ?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
You sound like you've done your reading and know what to expect. I'd certainly encourage manual regen on non-motorway (it suits my driving, others prefer the auto regen) and auto cruise control on the motorway.

The trouble with some of the horror-range stories at the minute is that they're based on short distance, winter driving. Your long journey should return at least 2m/kWh.

Don't be greedy with the climate control. Try to use the auto mode and a 'modest' temperature. The higher temp setting and manual fan speeds will steal more range.

Also, kudos for snatching what sounds like a terrific deal!

·
Registered
148 Posts
For the journeys I think you'll be OK but in the winter it'll be quite tight. I'm doing short journeys and the car struggles to get to 2.0 mi/kWh but, as you drive further, it gets better.

You are going to be one of the most proficient members of this forum at economical driving. At first you'll be using Efficiency mode a lot and probably always in the winter.

Some people are definitely going to disagree but I think the regen mode will make little difference because whatever mode you drive in, when the car brakes, it recovers energy be it in auto, manual or by cruise control. So the same amount of speed followed by the same amount of slowing gives the same amount of energy use.

You're going to be charging to 100%. First this is not ideal for the battery but it's not yours to keep. Second, regen braking is not effective at or close to full charge because the battery can't take the watts back as effectively when the ullage is small. So if you're journey is stop-start at the beginning, you'll be a bit less efficient. Probably not a crucial factor, though.

The main thing that strikes me is that, after your journey, the car's going to have little range for other driving - shopping, etc - and it's going to have to go on charge fairly promptly. So pick your electricity supply package carefully. For example, Octopus Go's modest four hours of cheap electricity may not be as economical as EDF's longer but pricier cheap rate.

On this final point, a 55 would have an oddly similar problem here. It's because cars with the same efficiencies have to charge for the same amount of time. So a 55 would have to charge for just as long as the 50. It's one of the reasons why I think that efficiency is a more key parameter than range in EV selection.

To end on a positive, the latest e-trons, I've heard, are 10% more efficient so this is a win-win for you.

And you'll be making huge savings over an ICE.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Some people are definitely going to disagree but I think the regen mode will make little difference because whatever mode you drive in, when the car brakes, it recovers energy be it in auto, manual or by cruise control. So the same amount of speed followed by the same amount of slowing gives the same amount of energy use.
I like this point. I would like to add to it - whilst inviting any disagreements - that manual regen gives you complete control over when you would like to coast, which is the most efficient use of momentum. Auto tends to slow the car (via regen) when it perhaps needn't have in some cases. Like I say, and what Pressurized leans towards...its personal preference.

Also the charge speed and efficiency point...completely agree. If you have access to 100kW charge stations on your longer journeys then you're winning.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I like this point. I would like to add to it - whilst inviting any disagreements - that manual regen gives you complete control over when you would like to coast, which is the most efficient use of momentum. Auto tends to slow the car (via regen) when it perhaps needn't have in some cases. Like I say, and what Pressurized leans towards...its personal preference.

Also the charge speed and efficiency point...completely agree. If you have access to 100kW charge stations on your longer journeys then you're winning.
I would agree with this. I think Manual mode has the potential to be the most efficient mode. I pretty much use it all the time. I have found my driving habits have adjusted a bit to allow me to get the maximum coasting that I can. These cars can coast REALLY far! My style now seems to me to be sort of a hybrid between my automatic transmission and manual transmission driving styles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think it may be time to try out Manual recuperation again...
What I like about Auto is that it gives you a partial adaptive cruise control in that it slows the car for other vehicles when you're not pressing the accelerator. I really like that - it almost seems as if I'm stealing their energy to charge my battery. I wish I had full adaptive cruise. The disadvantage of Auto is that it can over-slow the car down for certain things like roundabouts on dual-carriageways so I end up easing recuperation off with the paddle or pressing the accelerator to cancel it. This makes progress less smooth and having the brake lights come on and off will look clown-like.
If you put the driver assist display up, the car is supposed to tell you why it's slowing (speed limit, corner, roundabout, etc) but sometimes it doesn't even though it's still slowing the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sound like you've done your reading and know what to expect. I'd certainly encourage manual regen on non-motorway (it suits my driving, others prefer the auto regen) and auto cruise control on the motorway.

The trouble with some of the horror-range stories at the minute is that they're based on short distance, winter driving. Your long journey should return at least 2m/kWh.

Don't be greedy with the climate control. Try to use the auto mode and a 'modest' temperature. The higher temp setting and manual fan speeds will steal more range.

Also, kudos for snatching what sounds like a terrific deal!
Thanks, My winter 120 journey might be interesting to optimise and make on single charge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the journeys I think you'll be OK but in the winter it'll be quite tight. I'm doing short journeys and the car struggles to get to 2.0 mi/kWh but, as you drive further, it gets better.

You are going to be one of the most proficient members of this forum at economical driving. At first you'll be using Efficiency mode a lot and probably always in the winter.

You're going to be charging to 100%. First this is not ideal for the battery but it's not yours to keep. Second, regen braking is not effective at or close to full charge because the battery can't take the watts back as effectively when the ullage is small. So if you're journey is stop-start at the beginning, you'll be a bit less efficient. Probably not a crucial factor, though.

The main thing that strikes me is that, after your journey, the car's going to have little range for other driving - shopping, etc - and it's going to have to go on charge fairly promptly. So pick your electricity supply package carefully. For example, Octopus Go's modest four hours of cheap electricity may not be as economical as EDF's longer but pricier cheap rate.

On this final point, a 55 would have an oddly similar problem here. It's because cars with the same efficiencies have to charge for the same amount of time. So a 55 would have to charge for just as long as the 50. It's one of the reasons why I think that efficiency is a more key parameter than range in EV selection.

To end on a positive, the latest e-trons, I've heard, are 10% more efficient so this is a win-win for you.

And you'll be making huge savings over an ICE.
Thanks, No EV tariffs in N. Ireland yet. Airtricity 8hr off peak seems to be best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

My 120m rural long journey has only 20kw chargers without major detour so will be interesting challenge to optimise on for winter. From efficiency perspective does manual regen beat auto or is it marginal and a driving preference ?

Is Audi range predictions on road type and topology good ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 120m rural long journey has only 20kw chargers without major detour so will be interesting challenge to optimise on for winter. From efficiency perspective does manual regen beat auto or is it marginal and a driving preference ?
I honestly think it'll be marginal but if you prefer a certain mode, believe it to be more economical and modify your driving accordingly, your driving will probably become more economical.

I reckon by mid April you'll be in a position to tell us!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts

Whereabouts will you be driving? Did you mean 50kW? Even a stop at a 50kW charger to top up with enough electric to get you home shouldn't take much time, then recharge at home.

Like Pressurized I originally thought auto was most efficient. I too enjoyed the " partial adaptive cruise control " effect. But I didn't like the intrusion when the car slowed when I didn't want it to. Switching to manual returned better results for me, personally (its how my previous car was configured Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV). I coast most of the time, double tapping the regen+ paddle when entering a corner, roundabout or approaching traffic/traffic lights.

The GOM/range predictions are very accurate indeed.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
160 Posts
I’ve very little to add to the above excellent advice than to mention a quick top up really needn’t take long or cost the earth - I spent 6 minutes recently on a 125kW ultra charger and got more than 17 kW into my 55 (might have been more) which gave me an instant ~20% on top of my ~50% charge. That was enough to make sure that I could return home without worry and do the rest of my charging at home when it was closer to empty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve very little to add to the above excellent advice than to mention a quick top up really needn’t take long or cost the earth - I spent 6 minutes recently on a 125kW ultra charger and got more than 17 kW into my 55 (might have been more) which gave me an instant ~20% on top of my ~50% charge. That was enough to make sure that I could return home without worry and do the rest of my charging at home when it was closer to empty.
My primary routes have only 22kw or 50kw chargers but upside is these are free to charge in NI at present. A coffee stop will buy me some range contingency and free top up until I know the route consumption actuals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts