Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear E-Tron owners,
I am planning to purchase an E-Tron 50 Quattro launch edition (2020) or E-Tron 55 Quattro (2019) Audi Approved .I am kind of confused which one to buy as they are both at the same price range. The 50 has 45 miles (important extras) where as the 55 has 12,500 miles plus full extras.Which one do you suggest as i am new to Audi .My cars have always been BMW’s.Someone knows what is the life span of the battery especially when the 8 years guarantee passes .I know it will cost a lot of money to replace it where i have been told its not worth it to change if this problem occur.Thank you and awaiting for your feedback

·
Registered
294 Posts
Of course it depends on how it was charged, but 12,500mi is not that many miles for an EV. I understand that the 50 gets about 50mi less on a full charge. For me, that would be a big negative. Long term, the EV market is evolving at a very rapid pace, with many different versions and capabilities as manufacturers and drivers try to settle on what works. I doubt you will be interested in keeping whichever car you get for 8 years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is hard to predict what the battery life will be for the e-tron, especially being a first generation EV.

That being said though, Audi seems to be overly cautious and aware of degradation concerns with EVs. A few items that I'm aware of that tell me they are cautious:

1) 95kwh battery with a range of 204 miles. The weight and aero of the car play into range, but so does the thermal management system. From what I've read, Audi has invested a lot in the thermal management systems of the e-tron. According to a 2019 paper on EV battery thermal management, "Efficient temperature management systems contribute significantly to battery health and extend the overall lifespan." How battery thermal management systems impact EV battery performance

2) Access to capacity. Audi has given us access to 88% of the 95kwh battery. I've heard that Tesla is closer to 95-97% of the available capacity. This gives Tesla a lot more range and would put the e-tron closer to the 220 range if unlocked more (fwiw, we hit 220 miles consistently on range predictions during summer months, which means at 95% access we would have been closer to a range of 240 miles).

3) Charging efficiency. The e-tron is one of the most efficient cars on the market when it comes to charging efficiency.

4) Battery modules. From what i understand of the e-tron, they can change out individual battery modules that would be a huge savings over changing out the entire battery pack. They can identify a faulty cells and replace that individual one, I believe there are a few people who have already had that done...someone please fact check me on this!

All in all, @JNealCox is right, in 8 years the technology is going to be light-years ahead of where we are today, especially now that the big boys are starting to play in the game.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So detailed explanation :) . You answered all my questions that I was searching for all over the internet . Will definitely go for the 55 version . I only hope 2021 E-tron will not be much difference from the current model expect for the battery capabilities which seems will make more miles at the same charge and will be approximately $8000 cheaper that the current price . Thank you and stay safe 👍🏻

·
Registered
294 Posts
Probably the biggest difference is that the 2021 models are coming with an upgrade to the MMI system. A new chipset and LINUX software is supposed to increase the speed by 10X. However, I find my MMI to be perfectly fast enough. I'm thinking that down the road, they see a need for speed to get some features to be useful in real time. For example, I have the CONNECT internet package that gives you real time info on the status of traffic lights. However, there is enough lag that it useful only to give you a heads up that the light will change "soon". They are also switching from AT&T to Verizon for connecting the car to all of its over-air communcations.

At the end of last year, Audi announced some mechanical changes that added about 10 mi more range. They began incorporating it into the late year 2019 models (cannot be retrofitted, they say), so, depending on when the 55 you are looking at was built, you may have the improvement.

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what I've seen and read, present day EV battery life is a non-issue. I could be wrong and would be happy to be pointed to some reliable articles saying otherwise, but battery management systems are now much better than they were 5-10 years ago and degredation of batteries is only an issue if you're looking to keep the car for a very long time or over 100s of thousands of miles/kms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts